Fractal Talk

1717086203351.gif

But Seriously any time there's an Algo Update thats always Good for sure, now when is it coming to the FM9 and FM3?

Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited:
I know that I seem to have "revelations" every few weeks, but I re-remembered a good Dynacab tip today:

Play around with dual mics and the "align" feature!

One of my problems with Dynacab is that it often sounds really bright. But moving the mic off center can make it sound muffled. Adding in a second mic can help but still may not smooth the high end the right way.

The key is to add in some offset in the mic alignment. This causes some subtle phase cancellation and that can effectively smooth the high end. This is exactly what happens in the real world too.

If you have an SM57 right on the grille and it sounds bright, then you add in say a condenser mic anywhere from a few inches to a few feet back, the transient of the further mic is going to be delayed.

Starting somewhere between 10-20mm is a good bet I think. That takes the edge off without muffling too much. And to me that sounds more natural than using high/low cuts or drastic changes in mic positioning.

Also, be sure to try lowering the volume of that distant mic too, just as you would in real life.

I know that I seem to have "revelations" every few weeks, but I re-remembered a good Dynacab tip today:

One of my problems with Dynacab is that it often sounds really bright. But moving the mic off center can make it sound muffled. Adding in a second mic can help but still may not smooth the high end the right way.

The key is to add in some offset in the mic alignment. This causes some subtle phase cancellation and that can effectively smooth the high end. This is exactly what happens in the real world too.

If you have an SM57 right on the grille and it sounds bright, then you add in say a condenser mic anywhere from a few inches to a few feet back, the transient of the further mic is going to be delayed.

Starting somewhere between 10-20mm is a good bet I think. That takes the edge off without muffling too much. And to me that sounds more natural than using high/low cuts or drastic changes in mic positioning.

Also, be sure to try lowering the volume of that distant mic too, just as you would in real life.
100% and the reason why is as you mentioned in the real world you could not have a 57 /121 sitting right on top of each other physically they would not fit , but in modelling you can
And when watching a Chris Baseford stream that was a eureka 💡 moment for me

Because Chris basically confirmed all those tones that we like and love there is a distance between the mics because physically there has to be
So in these modellers 2 mic lined up perfectly on top of each other would not physically be possible so therefore doing this is unnatural and not what our ears are used to hearing when listening to playback of a session w a mic'd up cab

100% and the reason why is as you mentioned in the real world you could not have a 57 /121 sitting right on top of each other physically they would not fit , but in modelling you can
And when watching a Chris Baseford stream that was a eureka 💡 moment for me

Because Chris basically confirmed all those tones that we like and love there is a distance between the mics because physically there has to be
So in these modellers 2 mic lined up perfectly on top of each other would not physically be possible so therefore doing this is unnatural and not what our ears are used to hearing when listening to playback of a session w a mic'd up cab

Would it be useful to have an alternate "realistic" interface for Dyna Cab where the alignment would automatically occur with the distance control? I wonder if that could be a good shortcut for users to set up a good tone.

It's a very case by case thing.

With real dual close mics I use a plugin to phase align mics that I've already tried to phase align as well as I could with their placement, but being different mics it's not so straightforward. Often a phase difference just sounds worse.

Still worth a try since it's easy to do either with Fractal. I sometimes like it, sometimes don't.

Would it be useful to have an alternate "realistic" interface for Dyna Cab where the alignment would automatically occur with the distance control? I wonder if that could be a good shortcut for users to set up a good tone.
For me personally the sweet spot is about 12- 12.5 mm
Once you get into 20 and above it’s starts to become more of and effect
Anywhere from 10 to 12.5works if we are talking 412s

In reality 12mm is less than half an inch

I think a natural phase switch would be ideal. For me the juice is all in misaligning mics. I don't use high or low cuts, and I find that misalignment is a hugely powerful way to shape your high end.

Back