Fractal Talk

Agreed , for your use case and if you like touching things continuously live Global blocks would be a very useful tool

It's not exactly continuously. I just need to adjust my sounds to accomodate certain live situations.

And fwiw, I absolutely believe that modelers often don't sound great live (at least when used by lower profile acts) because they typically don't allow for quick overall adjustments of some parameters. In case it's a larger act, a theatre production or whatever, you might be just fine without any such options, because you're usually dealing with a pretty well controlled environment and there's been plenty of rehearsals under live conditions, too, so there's been plenty of time for finetuning. But very often that is not the case. And what worked in your home or rehearsal room might simply not work in that big ass hall or outside anymore (just to name two rather opposite conditions).
I've been there myself more than often enough, having to deal with a less than ideal sound for entire gigs - not because the options weren't there or because I wasn't well prepared myself, but simply because there was no time to adjust whatever number of patches in a 10 minute soundcheck, let alone an even quicker line check on festivals.

My wallet has got absolutely *nothing* to do with me using Boss units in the past. It's you fantasizing here.
So then why the fuck would you even say this in response to my comment about the GT1000 not being comparable????

Sorry, but that's such an ignorant statement. Until this day, there's not one single other unit that has earned me more money than my GT-5s and GT-10s. Through live playing. Sometimes using them standalone, sometimes with additional stuff.

So then why the fuck would you even say this in response to my comment about the GT1000 not being comparable????

What has that gotten to do with my wallet? Oh, ok - if you think the fact that these units earned me a lot of money is a bad thing, then more power to you. But it certainly was rather reading like "you're such a cheap skater, you even need to use Boss units".

It's a hard sell to say the FM9 is 896 euros better than a Helix for example.
I don't get this -- at all.

One of those is the best piece of gear I've ever owned -- and somehow gets better every year.

The other is a Line 6 product that finally taught me: I just don't like the way their stuff works.

I'm sure MBAs have succinct terms for what I'm about to describe, but to me there is no relative cost for Fractal stuff because it's simply incomparable to everything else.

So in that scenario, I can "save" 900 euros but all I'm left with is a Helix. No deal!

The other is a Line 6 product that finally taught me: I just don't like the way their stuff works.

Well, at least the majority of folks (some Fractal users included) see Line 6 vastly in front when it comes to user friendliness once you're editing on the unit. Anything else is highly subjective anyway.

It's not exactly continuously. I just need to adjust my sounds to accomodate certain live situations.

And fwiw, I absolutely believe that modelers often don't sound great live (at least when used by lower profile acts) because they typically don't allow for quick overall adjustments of some parameters. In case it's a larger act, a theatre production or whatever, you might be just fine without any such options, because you're usually dealing with a pretty well controlled environment and there's been plenty of rehearsals under live conditions, too, so there's been plenty of time for finetuning. But very often that is not the case. And what worked in your home or rehearsal room might simply not work in that big ass hall or outside anymore (just to name two rather opposite conditions).
I've been there myself more than often enough, having to deal with a less than ideal sound for entire gigs - not because the options weren't there or because I wasn't well prepared myself, but simply because there was no time to adjust whatever number of patches in a 10 minute soundcheck, let alone an even quicker line check on festivals.
This is part of why I hated the Axe-Fx 2 onboard user experience so much back when I did the occasional cover band hobbyist thingy. You tried to use things like global EQ to fit the sound into whatever space but that only works so far and is definitely not "on the fly" adjustable.

Global blocks in the Axe-Fx 3 can be pretty useful because you can adjust stuff in one place and now that same sound is in all your presets linked to the global blocks. I don't think the implementation is intuitive or obvious at all, but it's one solution to a pretty common dilemma. Things like scene ignore features are another side of it.

Perform views can also help, but they are annoyingly limited so you have to make some careful decisions on what is in there - and you need to have done those decisions beforehand too.

A big part of why I'm championing for far better onboard control on modelers is that the typical situation is that you want to tweak a bit no matter what - maybe to accommodate your guitar, maybe to accommodate how you hear things today, maybe to fit the sound to a specific space, a different output system etc. Being able to do that super easily matters. One of the good parts about the new Fender FR-12 is that they give you some EQ knobs to tailor for the room, and that's still better than messing with a global EQ on Fractal because it's a simple and straightforward "grab, tweak, listen" process instead of clicking between graphic/parametric EQ bands or frequencies.

A lot of people seem to associate it with something like "you are twiddling your delay settings while playing" but that's not really the case. You just want the ability to fix something right then and that's usually pretty simple on pedals - bend over and turn a knob. Or go to your amp and turn a knob or two up/down.

Even at home where you have all the time in the world, I find I'm having way more fun messing around with multiple pedals with dedicated knobs over clicking things in Axe-Edit. It's way easier to discover new sounds that way by combining fx, easily tweaking them etc. To me that was one of the strong suits of both Helix and QC where you had quick access to different blocks via touchscreen or Helix's capacitive switches.

Here's the price of a Turbo after tax and shipping:

IMG_4123.jpeg

That's 8.5% sales tax here in AZ. If that sales tax was 24% like it is for @Aleksi the tax would be $655.20 instead of $232.05.

@Sascha Franck I don't know what kind of tax trickery you're talking about. We have to pay whatever our local sales tax is. Period. You guys government dictates a much higher sales tax (VAT) over there which is not in G66's or Fractal's control of course.

If I had to pay 24% tax I'd be paying $3385.18 before shipping. That converts to 3099.72€ today. So when you consider the government-mandated tax, factor in shipping, and adjust for exchange rates you guys would be paying probably under 10% more than we are.

It ends up coming out to more than that realistically but blame your high taxes, not G66 (or Fractal). IMO

Edit: for the record, I'm just saying that folks outside the US should mostly be blaming taxes for the price differences between the cost of a Fractal in the US and across the pond. Then shipping after that. Fractal using a third party distribution company doesn't really add much to the price (under 200 $/€ I think).

Last edited:
But it certainly was rather reading like "you're such a cheap skater, you even need to use Boss units".
What the shit tit are you talking about? Where the hell did I say anything that even resembled that???

I said this:
The GT-1000 is incredibly limited in several key areas, and these units aren't just made for live performance.

And you said this:
Sorry, but that's such an ignorant statement. Until this day, there's not one single other unit that has earned me more money than my GT-5s and GT-10s. Through live playing. Sometimes using them standalone, sometimes with additional stuff.

First of all... you made it personal by calling me ignorant. Then you brought how much money you've earned using those units, as an argument against me saying that the unit is incredibly limited in several key areas - which it is.

And then I get this nonsense:
My wallet hasn't got anything to do with that. What a snobby reply.

More personal attacks. Which is cool. Fine. I'll happily engage in that, I have no scruples.

NGL that would be kinda cool. Maybe too late to change that now...not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze at this point.

I’m sure there is some meta data attached that could still link them in presets etc. Otherwise it’s just a text change, and good gosh would it be worth it. Marshall’s are spread across the entire model list. Doesn’t make sense. Imo

I’m sure there is some meta data attached that could still link them in presets etc. Otherwise it’s just a text change, and good gosh would it be worth it. Marshall’s are spread across the entire model list. Doesn’t make sense. Imo
I think I'd actually prefer it if they were grouped into levels of gain, or intended gain range... I usually want all of the cleans together for example.

I will forever split the difference between Orvillain and Sascha. The GT1000 is an excellent form factor. Other than external power supply. Screen is readable but gross. Switches are probably my favorite. Modulations and delays are great as far as bread and butter stuff goes. Reverbs are dreadful compared to the competition and no; I'm not using the X-OD with the Natural amp because they're too stupid to realize we need working Boogies, Marshalls and 5150s instead of some dumb f*cking Katana-parallel original amp model.

If you are ok with all this; you probably aren't in the market for something that isn't concerned with keeping up with it's competition and could gig it just fine, blissfully unaware of what you are missing.

I will forever split the difference between Orvillain and Sascha. The GT1000 is an excellent form factor. Other than external power supply. Screen is readable but gross. Switches are probably my favorite. Modulations and delays are great as far as bread and butter stuff goes. Reverbs are dreadful compared to the competition and no; I'm not using the X-OD with the Natural amp because they're too stupid to realize we need working Boogies, Marshalls and 5150s instead of some dumb f*cking Katana-parallel original amp model.

If you are ok with all this; you probably aren't in the market for something that isn't concerned with keeping up with it's competition and could gig it just fine, blissfully unaware of what you are missing.
TRAITOR!!!!

BTW. I just checked. The GT-100 already introduced MDP effects. Those weren't new to the GT-1000.

Back