Fractal Talk

real housewives hot pockets GIF by RealityTVGIFs

To elaborate on a big point someone mentioned, the speed of updates on the Axe-FX III is much faster, and that's what you want if you want the latest models and features as soon as they're available. The inventor, Cliff Chase, actively develops that unit directly. One update was the result of him waking up at 3 a.m. realizing how better to model the heating of a voice coil, if I recall correctly.

These updates can be very very fast, very often, though a few months can go by.

On the other hand, the FM9 and FM3 develop at a much slower rate. Not all updates will never ever go to those units, or even be possible on the FM3, i.e., due to the less powerful processor, but whatever has been updated on the Axe-FX III that can be moved will be ported over by other engineers.

It takes much longer, and you'll also have to join their their subgroup within our cult in to swear your blood oath to wish publicly at least once an hour on for the latest updates to be ported over. These are the rules.
Thanks. There's actually both an Axe-FX 3 and FM9 on the used market within a few hours of me which is incredibly unusual. The Axe-FX 3 is €1,800 which is about as cheap as I've ever seen one, but certainly not nothing considering I have a perfectly good set-up and it would need an €800 foot control. I think if I made the switch it would be the Axe, because the only real reason to would be for an upgrade on all fronts, DSP, flexibility, sound, signal complexity etc. I'd like the bleeding-edge updates too.

I think if I made the switch it would be the Axe, because the only real reason to would be for an upgrade on all fronts, DSP, flexibility, sound, signal complexity etc. I'd like the bleeding-edge updates too.

If that's the case then it's a no brainer, III it is.

Regarding the cost, even the III with a FC-12, particularly if purchased used, would be cheaper than Bradford's pedalboard and with Cliff's endless updates would be virtually futureproof regarding features.

Thanks. There's actually both an Axe-FX 3 and FM9 on the used market within a few hours of me which is incredibly unusual. The Axe-FX 3 is €1,800 which is about as cheap as I've ever seen one, but certainly not nothing considering I have a perfectly good set-up and it would need an €800 foot control. I think if I made the switch it would be the Axe, because the only real reason to would be for an upgrade on all fronts, DSP, flexibility, sound, signal complexity etc. I'd like the bleeding-edge updates too.

You don't need the FC6 or FC12 to control it; you can use any MIDI foot controller instead. The FCB1010 would work fine, or, if you're so inclined, have your DAW or live software control it. Many options!

You don't need the FC6 or FC12 to control it; you can use any MIDI foot controller instead. The FCB1010 would work fine, or, if you're so inclined, have your DAW or live software control it. Many options!
The FC6/12 is still a better experience and there's still some things missing from MIDI implementation like operating the set lists.

For MIDI, the Morningstar controllers seem to have some Fractal integration so those would be the best choice.

I do genuinely love the FC-12. Once you program it, it is just amazing.
I do wish it was a less bulky and heavy, it just doesn't need to be that beastly.

Price is quite offensive when it's near Helix LT level in EU, bought my FC-12 Mk1 used so I can live with that.

@CakeEater When I first got the Axe-FX III and FC12 together, I had already been using the Logidy UMI-3 through Bome MIDI Translator Pro, so I carried that over initially and used that setup instead of the FC12, and it worked great, even though it was just a three button controller made infinite via software. It was so flexible.

But laxu is right, that the FC12 is the best experience in many ways: no power cable, no MIDI cable, for one; instead you use a single XLR which takes care of power and data, and is more robust. And programming is easy with instant visual feedback of what you've programmed, and you can create complex and cool stuff. I, when programming a preset for a particular song, often use Layout Links, which allow you essentially to change menus at the same time you're activating another command.

For instance, I have a page of different harmonies I need for one section, but as I click on the last harmony in that section, it changes the menu (called the Layout) on the FC12, to one that has chorus and delay options that will be activated during the solo. You can do all sorts of awesome stuff

Last edited:
I do wish it was a less bulky and heavy, it just doesn't need to be that beastly.

Price is quite offensive when it's near Helix LT level in EU, bought my FC-12 Mk1 used so I can live with that.
Yeah I get you. In fairness, it feels like you could drive a tank over it, in a way that the Helix LT doesn't.

Back