Fractal Talk

Since I got the FM9 I haven't touched my Axe III/FC-12 rig and it's actually been a couple of years now. Every once in a while I ask myself if I should sell it but just can't bring myself to let it go.
But do I really need the III and the FM9? That's what I keep asking myself.
Same... I've been trying to keep on the FM9 as it's the gig rig.

I did recently have to try some of the Axe Fx III public betas because I really wanted to try the DynaCabs and then the gapless... And private beta for FM9 didn't even have them yet, so I fired it up and had some fun.

I figured since I already have them there is no need to sell... And if I did I'd probably have a need for it the next day ;)

I ended up selling my FM9T. Great unit but I need the 2 pitch blocks when playing live. Also, I found my setup more cluttered on the stage as I have to add in my wireless unit and an extra plug for that as well as the XLRs for my monitor and to the snake. With the III in a rack, I just run one cable to the FC12 and all good as everything else is in the rack and patched through the front patchbay I made which stays off of the floor.

Last edited:
Hi small-time Axe-fx players, if your rig is just an Axe-fx and an "FRFR" or two, what do you do with your Axe unit on stage? Have you put together an enclosure, is it on the floor, on a stand?

Reason being an Axe-fx 3 has come up near me at a good price and I'm tempted. I'm currently on Helix floor, with the bespoke backpack, so travel and stage set up have been easy. What do you church / pub / jam session players do?

Hi small-time Axe-fx players, if your rig is just an Axe-fx and an "FRFR" or two, what do you do with your Axe unit on stage? Have you put together an enclosure, is it on the floor, on a stand?

Reason being an Axe-fx 3 has come up near me at a good price and I'm tempted. I'm currently on Helix floor, with the bespoke backpack, so travel and stage set up have been easy. What do you church / pub / jam session players do?
I'm not playing out anymore at this point. But I gigged an Axe-FX Standard for 8 years and always just ran it along with voacls through my wedge in front of me. Stereo to FOH. We had really nice JBL monitors and mains, and I was always happy with that.
If you're an "I've gotta have the amp in the room" guy, it's easy enough to send IR's to the PA, and send an output to a power amp and cab sans IR.
I ran sound from the stage, so I liked hearing exactly what was going to FOH though my wedge.

The biggest problem I see with people failing with "FRFR" is spending $3k on an Axe-FX and FC-12 and running it through a $300-$500 piece of shit class D turd speaker...

With my Axe-Fx 2 I just had a small rack case sitting on top of the Atomic FR 1x12 I used to use (and in hindsight should have kept...)

I used a Gator GRB-3U Rack Bag. You can see in the illustration that it has feet.

91ZqwoHJQAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These provide enough clearance to run cables out if you have it standing like it is in the photo.

916A-QtgR+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That way I could just look down and see the control panel. It was also an easier reach if I needed to make adjustments than if it was laying on the floor.

912DSi3kPWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

In my AxeFx days the one I kept in Asia was in a 4 space SKB DJ rack that had a compartment for laptop. Which when i didn't need the laptop was used to stow the FCB

The one in the US had a couple of power amps, loads and he T.rex loop/midi switcher

IMG_5336.jpeg

IMG_5335.jpeg

I used a Gator GRB-3U Rack Bag. You can see in the illustration that it has feet.

91ZqwoHJQAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These provide enough clearance to run cables out if you have it standing like it is in the photo.

916A-QtgR+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That way I could just look down and see the control panel. It was also an easier reach if I needed to make adjustments than if it was laying on the floor.

912DSi3kPWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's great! And was there enough ventilation upright to keep it in the case?

I'll be taking the RV50 for a sludgy walk this weekend

This thing sounds :satan :chef:satan

The Rockervberb was one of the most challenging amps I have owned...... because I had to get it
so damn loud to get that great feel. At lower club level volumes it was just stiff and hard to play.
Like going down a rough stretch of trail in a car with no damn suspension.

But get it raging and it was heaven! I just couldn't get it raging without people being like :pitchforks :hmm

That's why some of these amp models in the Fractalverse is such a great thing. No volume. No worries.

Bias at 40%

so much this it needs to be a sticky, all the amp models default to a hot bias due to designer preference, while the majority of high gain specimens were deliberately designed and voiced for very cold bias, as both the core preamp breakup characteristic and power amp clipping behavior

for true gapless without any hardwired volume ramps use amp 1 and amp 2 on two rows using two inputs with an AB pedal to switch inputs

Back