Fractal Talk

8coknl.jpg

At the very least, the soundman will be dreaming of giving you a Tombstone piledriver after your set.
Or possibly a DirtBike Royale. :D

If you can have a live rig for clean dry/wet/wet effected/edge of breakup and dirty rhythm/lead/effected lead (all of which is possible with no gap whatsoever on the current FM9 firmware), what more do you need in a single song?
I can only see it being necessary for players who want to dive in and out of massive effects-based "synth" presets. Otherwise, gapless preset switching is a solution to a problem that was already solved better with scenes and channels. Multiple presets per song is likely to become a maintenance and organizational headache, long term.

Or possibly a DirtBike Royale. :D

I can only see it being necessary for players who want to dive in and out of massive effects-based "synth" presets. Otherwise, gapless preset switching is a solution to a problem that was already solved better with scenes and channels. Multiple presets per song is likely to become a maintenance and organizational headache, long term.

I love, love, LOVE the meticulous synth-y presets on the FM9, and I use them all of the time to add accents and such to songs when recording. But that's the kind of stuff live that you either want a dedicated keyboard player for or to eschew altogether. Sending slow-evolving or pulsating guitar/synth hybrid sounds through a mixing board and PA in a band setting is usually no bueno, and complicating by trying to volume match it against a traditional guitar sound at the same time is even worse.

Even in P&W, the synth pad-y/swell/shimmer-y sounds that guitar players are sometimes encouraged to create usually are barely audible alongside two keyboardists occupying the same frequencies/sonic real estate in the mix.

I love, love, LOVE the meticulous synth-y presets on the FM9, and I use them all of the time to add accents and such to songs when recording. But that's the kind of stuff live that you either want a dedicated keyboard player for or to eschew altogether. Sending slow-evolving or pulsating guitar/synth hybrid sounds through a mixing board and PA in a band setting is usually no bueno, and complicating by trying to volume match it against a traditional guitar sound at the same time is even worse.

Even in P&W, the synth pad-y/swell/shimmer-y sounds that guitar players are sometimes encouraged to create usually are barely audible alongside two keyboardists occupying the same frequencies/sonic real estate in the mix.
Criminal Minds Jj GIF by CBS

Missed this: no, it's a Reverend Reeves Gabrels sig, it's so sweet!
View attachment 17408

Yeah, I remember the whole story behind this because the first Dirtbike was even more simple with a single bridge pickup. Somehow with just one amp, one pickup and a pedalboard, Reeves Gabrels - known for kazillions of different tones - was able to gig quite well.

Story seemed relevant to this discussion....

I know of a couple soundmen in Chicagoland that do not want to work with people that have modelers, because people shifting radically within their tones piss them off. "ooh, I've got a Deluxe Reverb combo, then a Recto into a 4x12, then a Vox into a blue alnico!" It's like herding fucking cats.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Totally! Use a modeller live and you better have your internal shit together. Perceived gaps in switching
might be the least of someone's actual issues.

Thing is, I'm already gaplessly switching on FM9 on the one live preset I feel absolutely needs two different amp/cab combos, via the Multiplexer block.

I guess @dk_ace somehow needs more than two distinct amp/cab combos, although to me switching up sounds that radically in a single live preset is usually a recipe for disaster with volume leveling and such. At the very least, the soundman will be dreaming of giving you a Tombstone piledriver after your set.

If you can have a live rig for clean dry/wet/wet effected/edge of breakup and dirty rhythm/lead/effected lead (all of which is possible with no gap whatsoever on the current FM9 firmware), what more do you need in a single song?

The current gaps are nothing really. I've used the FM3 live without issue and that slight gap doesn't get in the way of anything. And really, with 2 amp blocks in the FM9 you can already do pure gapless amp switching by toggling between them.

How much have you used an FM9? Because I don't really have any gaps in channel switching.

None, had an FM3 for a minute but didn’t like it enough to keep it. When I was looking into how the FM9 works to see if I could switch over everything to it later, I found out about the gaps and someone posted clips of it and I abandoned the idea. Just not something I want to deal with and the gap I heard on those clips was too much for me. It’s trading one set of problems for another, and I’d rather just keep the ones I already have (and their workarounds). You take the gaps out, and the FM9 becomes a cool upgrade to what I have today.

I’m not saying I couldn’t work around the gaps, I just don’t want to because I already have a rig with no audio gaps. Those of you who don’t care about audio gaps, good for you, I don’t care. I used to have to work around that and I enjoy not having to work around it anymore.

And all the stuff about switching amp sounds and causing problems at FOH, I know how to maintain the appropriate place in the mix when I’m making a change. Anyone that doesn’t know how to do that, should definitely not make big switching changes if they don’t want to get muted and/or fired.

D

None, had an FM3 for a minute but didn’t like it enough to keep it. When I was looking into how the FM9 works to see if I could switch over everything to it later, I found out about the gaps and someone posted clips of it and I abandoned the idea. Just not something I want to deal with and the gap I heard on those clips was too much for me. It’s trading one set of problems for another, and I’d rather just keep the ones I already have (and their workarounds). You take the gaps out, and the FM9 becomes a cool upgrade to what I have today.

I’m not saying I couldn’t work around the gaps, I just don’t want to because I already have a rig with no audio gaps. Those of you who don’t care about audio gaps, good for you, I don’t care. I used to have to work around that and I enjoy not having to work around it anymore.

And all the stuff about switching amp sounds and causing problems at FOH, I know how to maintain the appropriate place in the mix when I’m making a change. Anyone that doesn’t know how to do that, should definitely not make big switching changes if they don’t want to get muted and/or fired.

D

So are you changing between more than two distinct amp and cab chains?

Back