Fractal Talk

Also; I could totally see myself with another FM9 in addition to the III and the FM3 because I am that dumb at this point :ROFLMAO:

I had all three at one point but eventually sold the FM3 because it just seemed ridiculous to have all three.

But after a while I missed the FM3 because it would have been much more convenient to haul around than the FM9 in certain situations.

So I do miss it, but not enough to buy another one.

All three at G66 prices (Finnish VAT): Axe III 3229€ + FM9 2395€+ FM3 1499€

Only 7123€ for the whole set. Of course you'll want to have an FC to control the Axe III, so let's round that up to 8000€.

I could imagine having an Axe III for the home studio and an FM3 or 9 for live use if I actually knew how to play the guitar and someone wanted to pay me to do it. But as a zero-talent internet guitar gear coin-o-soor, I think I'll be fine with just the FM3 :bag

Just buy what you want, regardless of that. You only get one life!
I agree with this 100%, as long as you don't ruin yourself or your family financially. I've never once felt guilty about spending money on what's important to me. I remember buying an Axe II way back when my spot on the wait list came up suddenly and having to live on like 1€ for the rest of the month. But it was the only gear purchase I made for the next 11 years. I could fairly easily afford all this stuff these days, so indulging won't ruin me.

I agree with this 100%, as long as you don't ruin yourself or your family financially. I've never once felt guilty about spending money on what's important to me. I remember buying an Axe II way back when my spot on the wait list came up suddenly and having to live on like 1€ for the rest of the month. But it was the only gear purchase I made for the next 11 years. I could fairly easily afford all this stuff these days, so indulging won't ruin me.
Totally agree. It's not like I am having a constant churn of gear in and out like some people do where they lose a bunch of money on shipping alone.

That said, you putting the new EU prices for the whole Fractal armada in one does show that it gets pretty expensive. By comparison in the US the same FM3 + FM9 + Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12 would cost ~$6000 or 5512 euros. If I wanted that whole shebang, I'd probably try to import it via proxy services from the US because even after shipping and VAT, I'd save close to 1000 euros. But of course warranty situations would be a much bigger problem.

I've got about "new FM9" money invested in my used Axe-Fx 2 + FC-12 Mk1 rig and I'm ok with that. But I do miss the form factor of the FM3 and in hindsight should have probably kept it too.

But I'm the type who hates to see gear just lying there, not getting enough use. So I tend to sell things even if I don't need the money. I'm trying to be better about this, so I have some pedals that aren't getting use atm, but that might be fun to rediscover later on.

Totally agree. It's not like I am having a constant churn of gear in and out like some people do where they lose a bunch of money on shipping alone.

That said, you putting the new EU prices for the whole Fractal armada in one does show that it gets pretty expensive. By comparison in the US the same FM3 + FM9 + Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12 would cost ~$6000 or 5512 euros. If I wanted that whole shebang, I'd probably try to import it via proxy services from the US because even after shipping and VAT, I'd save close to 1000 euros. But of course warranty situations would be a much bigger problem.

I've got about "new FM9" money invested in my used Axe-Fx 2 + FC-12 Mk1 rig and I'm ok with that. But I do miss the form factor of the FM3 and in hindsight should have probably kept it too.

But I'm the type who hates to see gear just lying there, not getting enough use. So I tend to sell things even if I don't need the money. I'm trying to be better about this, so I have some pedals that aren't getting use atm, but that might be fun to rediscover later on.
Yeah, I have a Boss SY-300 in the closet waiting for me to either find a use for it or be sold. That's about it for gear. Now the QC I couldn't get rid of fast enough in the end. I want to try the Eventide H90, but that has a pretty decent EU tax on it as well.

...I'm the type who hates to see gear just lying there, not getting enough use. So I tend to sell things even if I don't need the money. I'm trying to be better about this, so I have some pedals that aren't getting use atm, but that might be fun to rediscover later on.

Since I got the FM9 I haven't touched my Axe III/FC-12 rig and it's actually been a couple of years now. Every once in a while I ask myself if I should sell it but just can't bring myself to let it go.

I'm in the process of setting up a new office for myself and plan to use the III in there with my DAW for songwriting and instrumental compositions so the plan is for it to be back in use again.

But do I really need the III and the FM9? That's what I keep asking myself.

Since I got the FM9 I haven't touched my Axe III/FC-12 rig and it's actually been a couple of years now. Every once in a while I ask myself if I should sell it but just can't bring myself to let it go.

I'm in the process of setting up a new office for myself and plan to use the III in there with my DAW for songwriting and instrumental compositions so the plan is for it to be back in use again.

But do I really need the III and the FM9? That's what I keep asking myself.

If there was ever a bleeding edge feature you wanted, keeping the Axe-FX III would ensure access to the latest.

If there was ever a bleeding edge feature you wanted, keeping the Axe-FX III would ensure access to the latest.

True but that's never been my concern. My reason for keeping the III is that it gives me options in a studio setting that the FM9 doesn't have and it can provide a stationary alternative to the FM9 which could be anywhere in my house at any point in time.

Last edited:
At least g66 has 3 year warranty. They sent me a new encoder for the Axe standard in 2009 I think?
Yeah people sometimes complain about the price difference between the US and other countries. When you account for shipping, the difference in the amount of government-directed taxes and whether they're included in the "sticker price," and whether the warranty is included there's very little difference.

Back