Fractal Talk

Also; I could totally see myself with another FM9 in addition to the III and the FM3 because I am that dumb at this point :ROFLMAO:
Not dumb. Just ready for any scenario. Genius really.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Y'all crack me up. One of the more common complaints about Fractal over the years has been about the audio gaps when switch presets/channels. People have showed that there are viable workarounds but those solutions aren't gonna be perfect for everyone.

For the record ...I'm not too worried about gapless switching. It'll be nice but I'm more excited about other stuff like the new models. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Y'all crack me up. One of the more common complaints about Fractal over the years has been about the audio gaps when switch presets/channels. People have showed that there are viable workarounds but those solutions aren't gonna be perfect for everyone.

For the record ...I'm not too worried about gapless switching. It'll be nice but I'm more excited about other stuff like the new models. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I’m hoping the new spring reverb makes it to the FM9, I bought an FM9T specifically so I wouldn’t have to lug the Axe-FX out to play with my band, and less than a week after I got it Cliff went beast mode on all the new stuff for the rack unit.

I’m hoping the new spring reverb makes it to the FM9, I bought an FM9T specifically so I wouldn’t have to lug the Axe-FX out to play with my band, and less than a week after I got it Cliff went beast mode on all the new stuff for the rack unit.
I am sure they likely will the FM9 has a dedicated reverb and delay core so I doubt those type of fx will be a stumbling block

This is the reason why it's taking "so long" to release new FM3 and FM9 firmwares (list of changes on the axe since FM9 5.01 and FM3 7.00):

Changed Tuner mute logic so that only selected source is muted when Mute is set to INPUT.
Updated Fryette D60 models.
Updated Citrus RV50 model.
Updated CA3+ Rhythm and Lead models.
Updated Friedman BE/HBE models.
Updated Recto1 and Recto2 models.
Fixed Bit Reduction not working in Delay block.
Various other fixes and improvements.

Fixed Mr Z MZ models crashing.
Fixed spurious tone in input when Noise Gate is disabled.

Improved Stack/Hold behavior in Delay block for Tape types. While the echoes will still degrade over time if Stack/Hold is on the degradation is improved and only due to the losses of the virtual tape.
Improved Intelligent and Noise Reducer gate types in Input block. This eliminates the slight squeaking sound as the gate releases when using aggressive settings.
Improved Brit Silver model.
Fixed Ping-Pong types in Delay block not working properly.
Fixed popping when switching scenes.

Fixed right channel volume reduced in Cabinet block when Preamp is active.
Fixed Delay block distorting when presented with very high-level signals.

Improved speaker compression and amp interaction modeling.
Changed Master Volume taper for Recto1 models to agree with actual amp. This will slightly reduce the volume into the virtual power amp. Audition presets accordingly.
Added Global MV control to JS410 amp models. Master Volume has been renamed Channel MV. These two master volume controls can be used to balance the tone into the power amp (as in the real amp). The Channel MV decreases the high frequencies as it is turned down whereas the Global MV is transparent.
Added USA MK V Red amp models.
Improved accuracy of USA JP IIC+ models.
Improved accuracy of TX Star models. Global MV controls have been added as the Channel MV in these amps affect the tone (and interacts with the Presence control).
Improved Stack/Hold behavior in Delay block:
• In Hold mode repeats are now infinite (or nearly, may degrade over many minutes/hours)*.
• Added Stack Feedback and Hold Feedback parameters. This allows adjusting the decay time independently for the stack and hold modes.
Improved transition between Stack/Hold states.
*Note that if the Compander is enabled and/or Bit Reduction is greater than zero that the echoes will degrade over time. If you want infinite repeats then Compander must be OFF and Bit Reduction set to zero. Infinite repeats are also not available in the Tape types as the tape algorithm is inherently lossy (like a real tape).
Improved handling of external word clock. If no clock is present unit will fall back to internal clock until a clock is detected.
Extended range of Preset Increment/Decrement sources to include rear pedal jacks.
Fixed attack behavior of Dynamicomp model to strong input signals. Default attack time also adjusted to match reference pedal.
Fixed wrong PI bias point in Class-A 30W models.
Fixed several mistakes in Div/13 CJ amp models.
Fixed several mistakes in Two Stone J35 models.
Fixed wrong phase inverter bias excursion parameters in Car Ambler model.
Fixed VU meter in Cabinet block Preamp section only showing left channel. Meter now shows the sum of left and right.

Changed Presence control taper on all 6160 and 5153 amp models to replicate the actual amp. It is advised to audition any presets that use these models and adjust accordingly.
Due to the improved triode algorithm introduced in 23.00 many amps have had their preamp bias points updated. Existing presets are automatically updated upon recall.
Improved Gapless Switching performance.
Fixed Output 1 Configuration being overwritten by Output 2-4 configuration.
Fixed several mistakes in 5153 Stealth models. If using these models it is recommended to do a soft-reset of the model by deselecting and reselecting the type.
Fixed Sene MIDI GUI not updating correctly when changing scenes via front panel.

Fixed wrong Negative Feedback value for Brit 800 2203 models.
Fixed Bright switch off by default on 5153 100W Stealth Blue model.

Improved CPU usage.
Added "Nobelium OVD-1” Drive model based on a Nobels ODR-1. The BC (Bass Cut) switch is modeled via the Bass Response control. Set the Bass Response to 1.0 to duplicate the response of the pedal with the Bass Cut switch engaged. Set Bass Response to 5.0 to duplicate response with BC switch disengaged.
Added Sunrise Splendor model based on a JHS Morning Glory.
Added Gauss Drive model based on a Mesa Flux Drive.
Added Brit 800 2203 models.
Renamed Brit 800 to Brit 800 2204 High.
Added Brit 800 2204 Low model.
Added 5153 100W Stealth amp models.
Added USA MKV Green amp model.
Changed default values of Speaker Drive and Speaker Thump to better align with measurements of typical speakers.
Added NFB Compensation switch in Amp block. This defaults to On. Turning it off disables the negative feedback volume compensation at the output of the Amp block.
Fixed LFO2 not working in Chorus block.
Fixed wrong Distortion pot taper in DS1 Distortion models.
Fixed wrong Gain pot taper in Angle Severe models.
Fixed wrong output pad in USA JP IIC+ Green model.
Fixed wrong default tonestack in 1959SLP and Plexi 100W 1970 models.
Fixed EQ graphs in some blocks not updating when resetting the channel.
Fixed Output Configuration being overridden by Copy parameter. I.e., if Output 2 Configuration is set to Copy L->R but Copy Output 1 is ON then the output would have the same configuration as Output 1 (e.g., Stereo).

Fixed Rotary block LFO stuck.

Improved CPU usage.
Fixed audio artifacts can occur when switching Reverb block channels if there are different types between channels, i.e., switching between a plate reverb and a room reverb.
Fixed LFO quantization generating wrong number of steps.

Improved Amp block triode algorithm.
Improved Spring Reverb algorithm:
• New algorithm is based on a digital waveguide with scattering nodes. This algorithm achieves accurate spring reproduction recreating the iconic “drip” and flutter of classic spring tanks.
• There are two internal Spring Reverb types. The type can be selected using the Tank Type parameter. This parameter defaults to the appropriate type based on the model.
• The first type has all the springs in parallel. This is used by the British Spring and Studio Spring models. This is equivalent to an Accutronics Type 8 reverb tank.
• The second type has a pair of springs in series in parallel with one or more pairs of springs in series. This is equivalent to an Accutronics Type 4 (four springs) or Type 9 (six springs).
• For the second Spring Reverb type the reflection off the junction between the coupled springs is controlled by the Scattering parameter. Vintage Accutronics reverb tanks exhibit more reflection off the junction than modern, Asian-made reverb tanks.
• The “Drip” parameter controls the dispersion of the springs.
• The various models have different tone controls.
• Several new models have been added. The Tube Spring model is based on a 6G15 Tube Reverb and has an authentic tone control. Studio Spring is a hypothetical spring reverb with six long springs in parallel.
• Note that the Modulation parameters have been removed as they are not compatible with the new algorithm.
• Existing presets using Spring Reverb types are reset to default values. Audition as necessary.
Improved Reverb block early reflections. As a result, the default values of Early Level and Late Level for the models have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values. Audition as necessary. The Early and Late Level parameters have also been removed from the Basic page of the Reverb block.
Added “Pre-Delay Tap” parameter to Reverb block. This selects the input to the reverb engine. When set to OUTPUT the behavior is as before. When set to INPUT the initial delay is absent. This allows more natural “Echo-Verb” sounds. This is now the default for these types of models and existing presets are automatically updated.
New Plate Reverb algorithm. This new algorithm captures the dispersion (Star Wars™ Laser “pew, pew” sound) and unique stereo imaging of classic plate reverbs. Dispersion is adjustable via the Dispersion
parameter. Typical plates are around 25-50%. Set to higher values to exaggerate the effect. Stereo imaging is adjustable via the Pickup Spacing parameter.
Updated many of the Reverb models. Existing presets are not affected. Reselecting the model will load the new default values.
Improved Tremolo block:
• The optical tremolo algorithm has been completely rewritten.
• There are now three types of optical tremolo: Optical Trem 1: This type is based on optical pedal tremolos where depth controls the intensity of the LED. Optical Trem 2: This type is based on optical pedal tremolos where depth controls a “mixer” pot. This type has more “throb” than Optical Trem 1. Neon Trem: This type is based on the optical tremolo in classic “Blackface” amps which used a neon bulb to illuminate the LDR.
• The Tremolo type has been renamed “VCA Trem” and is based on a voltage-controlled amplifier topology.
• An LFO waveform monitor has been added for appropriate types.
Improved Tape Delay algorithm. The LFO1 Target and LFO2 Target parameters have also been removed from the Modulation tab as they are not applicable.
Improved Tape Chorus algorithm. The Number Voices parameter has also been removed from the GUI as it is not applicable to this type.
Updated Controller LFOs. The “Astable Beta” parameter for the LFOs has been renamed “Shape” and now controls the shape of the LFO for all types except Square and Random.
Updated all JS410 Lead models based on a current production JVM410HJS. The Crunch models were tested and did not require updating.
Added JS410 Lead Green amp model.
Added "2x12 USA C90 Open Back" speaker impedance curve.
Added Pitch High Cut parameter to Reverb block. This can be used to darken/brighten the pitch-shifted component of the reverb.
Added Modifier capability to High Cut parameter in Delay block.
Added Smoothing parameter to Cabinet block in Dyna-Cab mode.
Improved channel switching speed. Amp and Cabinet block channel switching times, in particular, are much improved. This, in turn, improves preset and scene switching times.
Preset, scene and channel changes are now gapless, if desired. A global parameter (Setup->Global Settings->Gapless Changes) allow turning this feature on or off.
Fixed NaN could occur in Euro Uber model at certain combinations of Presence and Speaker Impedance.

All this in a little more than 2 months... Working for Cliff must really be a nightmare!

Last edited:
While that list looks very impressive, it has a lot of bug fixes and iteration that can be copy/pasted as is.

Fractal FM3/FM9 public betas often throw in features from the latest Axe-Fx 3 firmware so things like model fixes and bringing in new amp models to the other units does not seem to be a huge ordeal.

I expect the gapless switching and reverb changes are the real time consuming part because fitting those to work on 25-50% less CPU, on a different architecture no less might require doing them in a different manner as well as a lot of investigation and optimization.

Never did like the Fryette in the box, but now it's :chef
Yep agreed really did not like that one and owned a VHT Pitt classic that I loved
The Prior Fractal model did not capture that thing IMO
One of the rare amps in the FAS that did not match my experience w the amps

Back