Fractal Talk

"What does the experience of a Fractal update feel like?"
"It makes you feel like experiencing more Fractal updates." - George Carlin
:grin
41r5n8.png

As Jive mentioned, the FM3 can do quite a lot if some thought is used to minimize it's CPU use, as this kitchen sink preset averages around 75% CPU on a non-turbo FM3, while utilizing a UA OX Stomp for Cab/Mics, Mic'd Room Sim, and Reverb (it's not using the Stomp's Compression and Delays at this time). All eight Scenes switch gaplessly with pristine tails, fades, and cross-fades.

Our show is automated via Ableton LIVE, and the FM3 at 75% CPU switches Scenes and executes fades and cross-fades in time without any problems, even at 180 BPM.

Last edited:
As Jive mentioned, the FM3 can do quite a lot if some thought is used to minimize it's CPU use, as this kitchen sink preset averages around 75% CPU on a non-turbo FM3, while utilizing a UA OX Stomp for Cab/Mics, Mic'd Room Sim, and Reverb (it's not using the Stomp's Compression and Delays at this time). All eight Scenes switch gaplessly with pristine tails, fades, and cross-fades.

Our show is automated via Ableton LIVE, and the FM3 at 75% CPU switches Scenes and executes fades and cross-fades in time without any problems, even at 180 BPM.

GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

I don’t get the deal with gapless switching. I’m not against it, but I can’t imagine a single song needing more than what the FM9T can do with channels/scenes, which are pretty much gapless.

It’s like we all went from an amp and some pedals to trying to recreate the NASA shuttle launch when we switched to modeling, and therefore need to hop through multiple presets in one song.

I really do like the Helix and its modeling, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s antiquated in how you do have to switch to different presets just to accomplish the same thing.

The funny thing is, in order to have gapless preset switching channel switching has to speed up essentially making gapless preset switching even more unnecessary. But maybe I'll be surprised and it will be the best thing ever.

The funny thing is, in order to have gapless preset switching channel switching has to speed up essentially making gapless preset switching even more unnecessary. But maybe I'll be surprised and it will be the best thing ever.

Gapless channel switching is exactly the thing I’m excited about. It’s the channel switching audio gaps that prevented me from switching to the FM9 long ago. Really excited to be back in fractalverse for some stuff.

D

Maybe. I’m not a beta tester either, so maybe I’ll be wowed. Like I said, it’s not like I’m actively against it. There are just other things I’d rather have.

Thing is, I'm already gaplessly switching on FM9 on the one live preset I feel absolutely needs two different amp/cab combos, via the Multiplexer block.

I guess @dk_ace somehow needs more than two distinct amp/cab combos, although to me switching up sounds that radically in a single live preset is usually a recipe for disaster with volume leveling and such. At the very least, the soundman will be dreaming of giving you a Tombstone piledriver after your set.

If you can have a live rig for clean dry/wet/wet effected/edge of breakup and dirty rhythm/lead/effected lead (all of which is possible with no gap whatsoever on the current FM9 firmware), what more do you need in a single song?

Gapless channel switching is exactly the thing I’m excited about. It’s the channel switching audio gaps that prevented me from switching to the FM9 long ago. Really excited to be back in fractalverse for some stuff.

D
The current gaps are nothing really. I've used the FM3 live without issue and that slight gap doesn't get in the way of anything. And really, with 2 amp blocks in the FM9 you can already do pure gapless amp switching by toggling between them.

Back