Fractal Talk

But Firmware 6 for the FM9 is not a public beta and won't be AFAIK. That's the difference.
Why would it not?

correct I still think this will go public beta, its just too big of an update to go straight to final release IMO
How do you know how big of an update it is?

I'm a beta tester and I couldn't say if it will or not (I don't know and couldn't say even if I did), but it wouldn't surprise me if it went straight to release.

I'm simply saying there are lots of live use cases for "gapless" switching (e.g. volume knob riding, using the FM9 as a pedalboard with drive models loaded, modifiers mapped to a volume pedal, modifiers mapped to a switch, different scenes with boosts in the amp block switched on and off) that don't actually involve....gapless switching.

I could list off a lot of things that those methods don’t give you that helix snapshots and fractal gapless switching do, but I don’t care to argue with you. Keep pretending the FM9 isn’t going to be significantly better as a live tool with gapless switching all you want. It doesn’t even interest me without it.

D

Because the whopping 10 minutes of thought that goes into programming the shit ahead of time is meaningless in the grand scheme of all the money and headaches I spent trying to achieve the same thing with the physical gear. Christ, I used to have to wait months for a piece of gear to show up just to see if it'd work, heaven forbid I take 10 minutes to drag a mouse around and make something do what I want.

No shit, I program my helix ahead of time to do what I need it to do.

Today, you can’t program the FM9 to do what I want without having audio gaps in the song. That doesn’t interest me in the least when I have a unit that doesn’t have that problem today. The minute that is solved I’m buying one. It’s the only reason I didn’t buy one a long time ago, audio gaps in the scene switching.

D

To be clear, I was doing gapless scene switching on the Axe-Fx II years ago. It depends on exactly what you are switching, but if you don't need more than two amps, then it can be made gapless. I agree that controlling parameters with scenes is much easier on Helix (and QC, since that's just lifted from Helix :D). Scene controllers on Fractal devices are clunky compared to just assigning a parameter to scenes. Then again, you can just change out entire models on Fractal via channels and have an enormous amount of different effects in a single preset, which is not possible on Helix//QC. If they can make channel switching gapless on both FM's, it will be a YOOOOOOOOGE Game Changer™

I was obsessed with gapless workarounds in the pre gapless days. Just do a thread title search on the Fractal forum and you'll find several threads about how to achieve gapless performance without the new gapless channel programming. If course it totally depends on what you want to program, but you can do a ton in the FMs gaplessly; it's all in the approach, in avoiding scene changes in any amp blocks you're playing through at the moment. You use mixer blocks, multiplexers, scene controllers, and careful planning, and you can have tremendous gapless presets.

For some people gapless switching is a huge deal, for others it's not important at all.
Only because those people don't have deep requirements. They want an amp with one or two channels, and a bog standard compliment of effects.

But that aint everyone, and I'm glad Cliff isn't just trying to sell to those boomers.

FWIW, gapless switching has been amazing on the Axe III. I'm exceptionally happy with it, and I'm considering moving to my Axe3 for live gigs because of it.

Helix is great, I love it and will always love it, and won't be getting rid of it. But for me it is starting to age a bit.

you can do a ton in the FMs gaplessly; it's all in the approach, in avoiding scene changes in any amp blocks you're playing through at the moment. You use mixer blocks, multiplexers, scene controllers, and careful planning, and you can have tremendous gapless presets.
But it is all a ballache. I don't want - and often don't have the time - to think about my patches in such depth. I want to think about my tones, the sonics of things... not about how I have to setup my virtual blocks and cables in the correct order to get the result I want. At a certain level, I'd rather whack a DD-8 in front of a Marshall amp and just call it quits.

But with gapless switching you can simply do this:

1. Think up your monster chain. It may be all serial. It may have one parallel path. It may have two.
2. Save that template preset to 24 or more preset positions.
3. Go through each one turning on the blocks you need for that sound.
4. Just switch presets.

No messing around with scene controllers having to remember what percentage on the scene controller maps to what value on the destination controller. No messing around setting up 8 different scenes, messing with multiplexers, nor mixers.

IMHO: All of these devices should be striving to emulate a huge instantaneous Bradshaw style rig. And for the most part, they do that very well.

Or they just add to the beta
Perhaps in some cases if Cliff is working on stuff and close to complete he tells then to keep working with it for a few more days
Amp models and updates don’t see to be the time consuming part to add it more the functionality I suspect
True - There has been times where a feature is in beta for the Axe3 and an official FM release happens which includes the Axe3 beta feature.

Only because those people don't have deep requirements. They want an amp with one or two channels, and a bog standard compliment of effects.

But that aint everyone, and I'm glad Cliff isn't just trying to sell to those boomers.
I don't think anyone is against gapless switching. I for one really hope that it comes the FM3, as it would make the FM3 just insanely powerful. But if it turns out to be impossible, I can live with it.

I don't think anyone is against gapless switching. I for one really hope that it comes the FM3, as it would make the FM3 just insanely powerful. But if it turns out to be impossible, I can live with it.
Like @dk_ace I'd seriously consider picking up an FM9 if/when it has the gapless switching.

Why would it not?

How do you know how big of an update it is?

I'm a beta tester and I couldn't say if it will or not (I don't know and couldn't say even if I did), but it wouldn't surprise me if it went straight to release.
I am not a beta tester
I can only go by past history
And it’s got the potential to be a fairly substantial update
Anyone that follows the AX3 updates I think has a pretty good idea of the content they are hoping to include

Will they fit it all, will it go straight to release who knows
We will have to wait and see

I am not a beta tester
I can only go by past history
And it’s got the potential to be a fairly substantial update
Anyone that follows the AX3 updates I think has a pretty good idea of the content they are hoping to include

Will they fit it all, will it go straight to release who knows
We will have to wait and see

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any FW skip a public beta and go straight to release?

@Orvillain
No matter what methodology you subscribe to; there is going to need to be thought behind it. I am not against gapless at all. But you are still going to have to think it out.

Most Joe Schmoe's/'boomers" are probably going to take their gigging presets, break them up into the scenes ("crunch"/"driven"/"solo"/"ambient") they are already broken up in and then save those as separate presets. And then have a ton of clunky housekeeping to do cleaning up all these orphaned scenes that have suddenly become independent presets.

The glut of Simeon Harris presets I loaded up. They are as bonkers of a signal chain as you can imagine. They don't have gaps but they do all sorts of crazy stuff when you switch from one to the other. Which requires THINKING when you configure them in a group for the purpose of live usage.

@dk_ace you spent every post elsewhere talking about how the Helix is better for you at everything vs. whatever FAS was being discussed at the time so not sure why you are holding the thread hostage over a not yet implemented feature of a product that isn't even available to buy that needs all this advanced switching functionality for music I have never heard a single lick of.

Last edited:
Fractal user be using 10% of the unit and be happy
Me (QC) user be using 40% of the unit and be happy

This should be noted, we guitar players are mostly meat and potato. And if the tone is good, that is what counts

Back