Fractal Talk

My FM3 sounds way more analog now…
image.jpg

Small thing since swapping the FM-3 for Axe FX, but really enjoying the NFB compensation switch, it feels more intuitive to hear the volume decrease as NFB increases to me, and easier to hear what effect it has. When its on, it can feel like turning up NFB increases volume and because its the opposite to what happens in the real world it can sound a bit confusing. Loving the new Brit Silver BTW.

Because I have it in a rack now, I can actually reach the screen and buttons etc, so trying to dial things in more with those.

Is there any way of changing the sensitivity of the encoders? For dialling in amp knobs they take quite a lot of turns and they're pretty close together.

And similarly, is there any way to adjust master volume AND level at the same time without toggling up and down? or presence and treble? Would be awesome to adjust MV and level at the same time.

These are things that I find advantageous to use 2 hands for, rather than using a mouse (where precision and doing one thing at a time can have more importance).

Is there any way of changing the sensitivity of the encoders? For dialling in amp knobs they take quite a lot of turns and they're pretty close together.
Nope. Like you, I thought I would use the onboard controls on the Axe-Fx 3 more but they are uncomfortably cramped and tend to require quite a few turns. I don't think Fractal has nailed the acceleration curves for these.

And similarly, is there any way to adjust master volume AND level at the same time without toggling up and down? or presence and treble? Would be awesome to adjust MV and level at the same time.
I think you could maybe do this with an external MIDI controller + modifiers, but I'm not sure if you can make them do the opposite things.

I use the front panel for almost everything, and what I do is to select the parameter I want with the arrow buttons then actual move the virtual knobs with the big huge encoder. That thing is the easiest to manipulate, whether you need very fine tuned adjustments or you want to go from zero to ten. It's extremely fast either way.

For Axe-Edit, of you need fine adjustments, press Control + Left-Click to slow the virtual knobs.

Hey People !

Was just surfing around and landed on one of Leon's video's from a couple of months back ..... man he can play .... boy can he dial in a tone ! :) ... and he just seems like a great bloke ... as we say down here ! :)

What struck me was he was demo'ing the new [to me] Gapless switching which seems to actually now be gapless.

Was curious ... I've been out of the Fractal-Verse for > 15 months and I was wondering .... has this already made it over to the FM9 and FM3 or is this likely just an Axe 3 feature due to horse-power needed ?

No biggie ..... just curious :)

Ben

Hey People !

Was just surfing around and landed on one of Leon's video's from a couple of months back ..... man he can play .... boy can he dial in a tone ! :) ... and he just seems like a great bloke ... as we say down here ! :)

What struck me was he was demo'ing the new [to me] Gapless switching which seems to actually now be gapless.

Was curious ... I've been out of the Fractal-Verse for > 15 months and I was wondering .... has this already made it over to the FM9 and FM3 or is this likely just an Axe 3 feature due to horse-power needed ?

Ben
The word is, they are trying to get it to the FM9/3, but it is not there yet and no promises on whether it will actually happen!

Hey People !

Ben
For FM9 it’s in beta test l believe , FM3 not sure
As mentioned above they are trying to port it but there has been no confirmation yet that yes it will work

The FM3 mk II turbo came in today. The difference in performance is quite literally around 10+%. I did some very rough estimates for cpu and a preset that's hovering around 77% on the mk I will drop below 70%. Of course, everything uses up a little less cpu, so you can also cram more stuff into those percentages. For example one of my ambient patches was nearly at the limit of cpu, but with the mk II I can change the plex econo shimmer to the full fat shimmer and still have cpu left for a little something extra, like switching to an Ultrares IR.

For the 250€ extra it cost me, I think it was worth it. That's basically the price of like one bougie boutique Boss clone with an extra switch and fancy artwork.

The FM3 mk II turbo came in today. The difference in performance is quite literally around 10+%. I did some very rough estimates for cpu and a preset that's hovering around 77% on the mk I will drop below 70%. Of course, everything uses up a little less cpu, so you can also cram more stuff into those percentages. For example one of my ambient patches was nearly at the limit of cpu, but with the mk II I can change the plex econo shimmer to the full fat shimmer and still have cpu left for a little something extra, like switching to an Ultrares IR.

For the 250€ extra it cost me, I think it was worth it. That's basically the price of like one bougie boutique Boss clone with an extra switch and fancy artwork.
How do you feel about the larger footswitch displays? Meh or worthy upgrade? I've never tried anything but the Mk1 versions and can see how larger ones would be useful, but the Mk1 are fine for me.

How do you feel about the larger footswitch displays? Meh or worthy upgrade? I've never tried anything but the Mk1 versions and can see how larger ones would be useful, but the Mk1 are fine for me.
They are very noticeably larger and the text is much bigger. I wouldn't upgrade just for them unless I had very poor eyesight and really wanted to skip the glasses on stage, but they are much nicer. They also make the unit look much more balanced visually, as the mk I displays are very small for the size of the unit. It's still not exactly the sleekest design.

..... with gapless switch (?) ;)
I refer you to this:

That's the extent of what I can discuss :)

I think it's a bit funny seeing people being so desperate for features that came to the III just a few months ago. I'd love to see all that stuff on the FM3 as well, but it's not like it's useless until the next firmware. It's an actual, full featured modeler with all the basic things most could ever need. I suppose I learned to be patient during my year in the QC trenches waiting for the inevitable update with that promised basic feature that ended up being half-baked and a bit disappointing.:bag

Or maybe in six months I'll be selling my FM3 and a kidney to spend 4k on an Axe III and FC.

Back