Fractal Talk

FM3 is the King/Queen Of Portability. Like the most unobtrusive and obnoxious
gig friend who doesn't drink too much, won't take up 2 seats in the back, doesn't
chatter all the way to the gig, and then make a scene once you are there. :wat

I love how humble and unobtrusive it is. And it's kind of cool that it is so lacking
in other options that the III and 9 have in spades, but they'll never be able to sit
in between me and a passenger in the front seat like my little Buddy can. :LOL:

I'm very happy with the 9. Also had an fm3. For 1500 usd, I don't think in all honesty anything competes. For 1k, the fm3, for studio use, I think the same. Just having an internal struggle. Not really trying to start controversy.

I'm also a pretty happy FM9 owner, but I do think the Helix Floor competes with it, especially with those often being available for $1000-$1100 used.

That being said, I just prefer the amp and FX options of FM9 for my external gigs right now. I'm a modded Marshall fiend, and even with the new 3.7...Helix only has a couple of joints in that category.

I'm also a pretty happy FM9 owner, but I do think the Helix Floor competes with it, especially with those often being available for $1000-$1100 used.

That being said, I just prefer the amp and FX options of FM9 for my external gigs right now. I'm a modded Marshall fiend, and even with the new 3.7...Helix only has a couple of joints in that category.
Understood, there was a time when I had a kemper, tonex, qc, Helix Floor, fm3 and an Fm9 at the same time. I'm not trying to degrade any device. Just over-analyzing a jump to the III. Honestly, I don't think I can justify it but when I see year end sales it makes me rethink things.

Last edited:
Understood, there was a time where I had a kemper, tonex, qc, Helix Floor, fm3 and AN Fm9 at the same time. I'm not trying to degrade any device. Just over-analyzing a jump to the III

It's all good! I'm not caping for any platform, really. That's just my personal value calculation. Totally makes sense if others view Helix or another platform as inferior for whatever their reasons are. The used values on non-turbo FM9 are pretty cheap now too, and that's a fantastic value. I've not run into even a single use case where I was frustrated or stopped by a lack of processing power.

Used non-powered Kemper heads are also an insane pickup value these days.

Can of worms open... for those with both the fm9 and III, are there any sonic differences to justify upgrading?
I have been toying with the upgrade idea for a while. Strictly for studio use.

I have the Axe-FX III and the FM9. They sound indistinguishable to my ears. If you compare them on advanced test equipment there are probably measurable differences but nothing audible to me.

Is no one talking about the Aaron Marshall Gift of Tone?
I think I hear an echo? ;)

Nobody talking about the start of the Gift of Tone today 😀

Just sitting here waiting to see if anyone uses the tone match block. Lol.

Currently I record dry then reamp for amp, then eq and IR in a daw, then reamp via spidf to add effects. Trying to save some round trips if the TM is ozone/cabinetron worthy on the 3.

Currently I record dry then reamp for amp, then eq and IR in a daw, then reamp via spidf to add effects. Trying to save some round trips if the TM is ozone/cabinetron worthy on the 3.

That’s a thing I thought I was going to use but I’ve never even clicked on the block.

That workflow sounds like actual work!

If you want first update dibs; III all the way.

If you want an all in one giggable floor model; FM9 all the way.

If you want FAS tones and FX without a big $ outlay; FM3 all the way.
Keeping Up With The Kardashians Everything GIF by E!

That’s a thing I thought I was going to use but I’ve never even clicked on the block.

That workflow sounds like actual work!
I'm a mental case. I print dry. I print effects. I print amps. I print everything to a ton of tracks and pick and choose what i like best. I try them with vsts, I try them with a million IRs. I dare someone to sit in my head for one hour and come out alive. If I make a peanut butter and jam sandwich, I question myself for an hour afterwards if I made it as good as I can make it.
The only thing static for me is I that use these and I love them.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense from a flexibility standpoint. Is it fair to say an FM3+FC6 is basically just a modular FM9? Or is there a significant DSP performance difference?
Significant I'd say. Still usable certainly but had to sacrifice some blocks.

Significant I'd say. Still usable certainly but had to sacrifice some blocks.
When I had a an fm3 with an fc6, I found a significant difference when I went to the fm9 with terms of cpu power. However, when the gapless switching comes over to the fm3/9 that will reduce the need for extra blocks created just to minimize gaps. I use multiple amps just to have other amps ready on the fly. the same can be said for eq's, od blocks and delays. if those go away for the fm3/9, they will become even more capable.

I use it to match acoustic instrument DI sound to match mic’ed up sound

Back