Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

Fireproof

Shredder

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

VERSION 21.00 PUBLIC BETA 4
A new beta version of Axe-Edit is available here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-12-09-supports-fw-21-00-public-beta-4.188106/

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Various other improvements.
  • All amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.

Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.

Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.

Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.

The Ideal amp controls have been updated.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.

Reduced CPU usage in some cases.

Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.

Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.

Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.

Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.

Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.

Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.

Fixed High Mid control in Drive block set to minimum when importing presets created prior to 19.01.

Various other fixes and improvements

Cool they can “fix” amp models in that way… adjust values and resistors and stuff. No other maker seem to do that. At least openly. Would love to try fractal some time but as a budget minded home player I’ll likely won’t until they punch down on the budget budget/mid tier market. They don’t have to though…

Cool they can “fix” amp models in that way… adjust values and resistors and stuff. No other maker seem to do that. At least openly. Would love to try fractal some time but as a budget minded home player I’ll likely won’t until they punch down on the budget budget/mid tier market. They don’t have to though…
You could get a used FM3
FM3 is still a great unit especially if you presets are like wah drive mod
Amp cab delay verb

You could get a used FM3
FM3 is still a great unit especially if you presets are like wah drive mod
Amp cab delay verb
The AX8 is also a great option.

FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 1 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/6p0/fm3_dsp_rel_6p00_beta_1.zip
A new version of FM3-Edit is required for FW version 6.00:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-10-to-support-fw-6-00-public-beta-1.188170/
My apologies for the delay with this release. I've been working hard to reduce CPU usage. I hope you find the results worth the wait.

NEW AND IMPROVED FEATURES​

• Optimizations to reduce CPU. This will vary depending on blocks used and settings.
  • Added Klone Chiron model to the Drive block.
  • Added Griddle Cake model based on Crowther Hot Cake to the Drive block. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.
  • Added the following new Amp models:
    • PVH 6160 Block Crunch
    • Diamante Fire based on a Diamond Del Fuego
    • Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H
    • Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped
  • New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:
    • Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
    • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
    • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
    • Many amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
  • Improved modeling accuracy for following Amp models:
    • Plexi 50W Jumped
    • Plexi 100W Jumped
    • Brit JM45 Jumped
    • 1987X Jumped
    • 1959SLP Jumped
    • Plexi 100W 1970
    • Deluxe Tweed Jumped
    • Two Stone J35 and J35 PAB
    • Fox ODS and ODS Deep
    • Nuclear Tone
    • All Solo 88, 99 and 100 models
    • All Bogfish models
    • All Spawn Q-Rod models
    • All Spawn Nitrous models
    • All Vibrato Verb models
    • All Deluxe Verb models
    • All Double Verb models
    • All Brit 800 models
    • All Brit JVM models
    • All Friedman BE/HBE V2 and V3
    • Friedman Small Box
    • Cornfed M50
  • Drive block improvements. Drive block now incorporates the “Chase Transform Technique” for converting analog networks to equivalent digital filters. This improves accuracy in the high frequency region.
  • New “Block Mixer” algorithm results in faster/quieter scene and channel changes.
  • New Speaker Drive algorithm in Amp block. This new algorithm more accurately models the frequency dependent distortion of guitar loudspeakers. The default value (upon resetting the block) is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression. Setting the value to 0.0 defeats the speaker drive modeling. Higher values give a smoother and more focused sound, rounding off the “sharp edges” and yielding greater compression.
  • Added Speaker Thump to Amp block. This models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amp running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero.
  • Improved Amp block output transformer modeling. This requires updated Transformer LF/HF values for the amp models. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon recall.
  • Changed “Drive” to “Gain” for Amp block preamp gain as this is more consistent with naming in real amps.
  • Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.
  • Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.
  • Improved speaker impedance curve fitting algorithm. This results in more accurate and more “colorful” modeling as the previous algorithm tended to damp box resonances somewhat. All the speaker impedance curves have been updated using the new routine.
  • Added speaker impedance curves:
    • 4x12 Lerxst Omega
    • 1x12 Deluxe Oxford
    • 4x12 Hipower Pete T
    • 4x12 Hipower Lindsey B
    • 4x12 USA Semi-Open
    • 2x12 Dizzy RV
    • 4x12 London Town Tall
    • G12T-75
    • 2x12 Class-A Greenback
    • 2x12 Two Stone 1265
  • Added cross feedback parameters to Quad Parallel type in Multitap Delay block.
  • Increased the range of the Level parameters in Multitap Delay to -100% to +100%.
  • SPDIF output level will no longer be dependent on the volume knob.

FC FEATURES​

• Added new Setlists/Songs feature, which can be used with the onboard switches and/or an FC Controller to access presets and scenes in custom order during live performance. A new Setup menu area provides full access from the front panel, with a corresponding new area of FM3-Edit which offering import/export and more. For additional details, please see the Setlists & Songs Mini-Manual, located at: https://www.fractalaudio.com/sss-manual

FIXES​

• Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.
  • Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.
  • Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.
  • Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.
  • Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.
  • Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.
  • Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.
  • Fixed scale not being set when first attaching a modifier to a LOG parameter.
  • Fixed Bypass grayed out on Reverb EQ page.
  • FC: Layout Link will no longer unduly trigger when exiting the Tuner.
  • FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now stop flashing when the preset is changed by any means other than an FC footswitch (editor, front panel, etc.)
  • FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now flash consistently when used with Bank: Select switches.
  • FC: Preset: Toggle in Bank now consistently and correctly loads "Primary" preset after changing the bank.

Scuse my lack of knowledge but does Fractal have a usable poly pitch yet?

Mongillo is correct, it really depends. For distorted power chords the FM9/III can keep up, things get wobbly with a clean tone the further away from the actual pitch you get. Actually, I just played my Strat into my III and at a full step down it was getting wobbly, especially if you start throwing stuff like hammer-ons within chords into the mix. If I remember right, the pitch block in the FM9 is the same as the III's.

I still track bass using the pitch block to tune it down on occasion, but I also distort the bass quite a bit.

Mongillo is correct, it really depends. For distorted power chords the FM9/III can keep up, things get wobbly with a clean tone the further away from the actual pitch you get. Actually, I just played my Strat into my III and at a full step down it was getting wobbly, especially if you start throwing stuff like hammer-ons within chords into the mix. If I remember right, the pitch block in the FM9 is the same as the III's.

I still track bass using the pitch block to tune it down on occasion, but I also distort the bass quite a bit.
Yeah I feel like a digitech drop is a common pedal on a majority of digital rigs but I tend to see them when people post pics of their fractal rigs.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/6p0/fm3_dsp_rel_6p00_beta_1.zip
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-10-to-support-fw-6-00-public-beta-1.188170/
My apologies for the delay with this release. I've been working hard to reduce CPU usage. I hope you find the results worth the wait.

• Optimizations to reduce CPU. This will vary depending on blocks used and settings.
  • Added Griddle Cake model based on Crowther Hot Cake to the Drive block. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.
    • PVH 6160 Block Crunch
    • Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped
    • Many amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
    • Plexi 50W Jumped
    • Plexi 100W Jumped
    • Brit JM45 Jumped
    • 1987X Jumped
    • 1959SLP Jumped
    • Plexi 100W 1970
    • Deluxe Tweed Jumped
    • Fox ODS and ODS Deep
    • Nuclear Tone
    • All Bogfish models
    • All Spawn Q-Rod models
    • All Deluxe Verb models
    • All Double Verb models
    • All Brit 800 models
    • All Brit JVM models
    • Friedman Small Box
    • Cornfed M50
  • Drive block improvements. Drive block now incorporates the “Chase Transform Technique” for converting analog networks to equivalent digital filters. This improves accuracy in the high frequency region.
  • New “Block Mixer” algorithm results in faster/quieter scene and channel changes.
  • New Speaker Drive algorithm in Amp block. This new algorithm more accurately models the frequency dependent distortion of guitar loudspeakers. The default value (upon resetting the block) is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression. Setting the value to 0.0 defeats the speaker drive modeling. Higher values give a smoother and more focused sound, rounding off the “sharp edges” and yielding greater compression.
  • Added Speaker Thump to Amp block. This models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amp running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero.
  • Improved Amp block output transformer modeling. This requires updated Transformer LF/HF values for the amp models. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon recall.
  • Changed “Drive” to “Gain” for Amp block preamp gain as this is more consistent with naming in real amps.
  • Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.
  • Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.
  • Improved speaker impedance curve fitting algorithm. This results in more accurate and more “colorful” modeling as the previous algorithm tended to damp box resonances somewhat. All the speaker impedance curves have been updated using the new routine.
    • 4x12 Lerxst Omega
    • 1x12 Deluxe Oxford
    • 4x12 Hipower Pete T
    • 4x12 Hipower Lindsey B
    • 4x12 USA Semi-Open
    • 2x12 Dizzy RV
    • 4x12 London Town Tall
    • G12T-75
    • 2x12 Class-A Greenback
    • 2x12 Two Stone 1265
  • Added cross feedback parameters to Quad Parallel type in Multitap Delay block.
  • Increased the range of the Level parameters in Multitap Delay to -100% to +100%.

FC FEATURES​

• Added new Setlists/Songs feature, which can be used with the onboard switches and/or an FC Controller to access presets and scenes in custom order during live performance. A new Setup menu area provides full access from the front panel, with a corresponding new area of FM3-Edit which offering import/export and more. For additional details, please see the Setlists & Songs Mini-Manual, located at: https://www.fractalaudio.com/sss-manual

FIXES​

• Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.
  • Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.
  • FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now stop flashing when the preset is changed by any means other than an FC footswitch (editor, front panel, etc.)
  • FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now flash consistently when used with Bank: Select switches.
  • FC: Preset: Toggle in Bank now consistently and correctly loads "Primary" preset after changing the bank.
Neural DSP. Has left the chat

• PVH 6160 Block Crunch
    • Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped
    • Plexi 50W Jumped
    • Plexi 100W Jumped
    • Brit JM45 Jumped
    • 1987X Jumped
    • 1959SLP Jumped
    • Plexi 100W 1970
    • Deluxe Tweed Jumped
    • Fox ODS and ODS Deep
    • Nuclear Tone
    • All Bogfish models
    • All Spawn Q-Rod models
    • All Deluxe Verb models
    • All Double Verb models
    • All Brit 800 models
    • All Brit JVM models
    • Friedman Small Box
    • Cornfed M50
    • 4x12 Lerxst Omega
    • 1x12 Deluxe Oxford
    • 4x12 Hipower Pete T
    • 4x12 Hipower Lindsey B
    • 4x12 USA Semi-Open
    • 2x12 Dizzy RV
    • 4x12 London Town Tall
    • G12T-75
    • 2x12 Class-A Greenback
    • 2x12 Two Stone 1265

FC FEATURES​

FIXES​

Ok they totally kicked a$$ on this one , above am beyond they just caught up from May to current AX3
And I think they got it all in there
Set lists
Faster scene switching
And CPU decreases of 5 or 6%

FM3 owners basically just got
FM3 turbo

Ok they totally kicked a$$ on this one , above am beyond they just caught up from May to current AX3

They totally did. Very surprising that the FM3 is now completely up to date with the AF3. I just tried it and it does sound really good to me.

And damnit... I was going to sell the FM3 and keep the Suhr Bella + pedalz. This has me feeling _very_ confused right now. It's pretty much sounding like I wanted it to sound, all along.

(but it's a good and welcome sort of confused!)

Last edited:
Back