Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

That was indeed a good bump up for the FM3. I don't really pay attention to it's updates, I didn't realize it had been that long since the last one. Damn.

New FM3 update is really, really good. It definitely seemed to clear up a lot of the excess low end I was fighting for the last year or so. I've been waiting for the new models for a long time including the Aurora delay and that's fantastic. I've been GAS-ing for the Keeley Halo since the release and now can chill on that. Also the new SV20 fills a gap in the Plexi models as it sounds more balanced than most of the models.

New FM3 update is really, really good. It definitely seemed to clear up a lot of the excess low end I was fighting for the last year or so. I've been waiting for the new models for a long time including the Aurora delay and that's fantastic. I've been GAS-ing for the Keeley Halo since the release and now can chill on that. Also the new SV20 fills a gap in the Plexi models as it sounds more balanced than most of the models.

Did you see Burgs' suggested tweaks to the Aurora? Namely a bit of drive, subtle low / mids boost and high cut? I made those changes and am very happy with the Aurora now; I've saved the tweaked version as a library item named "Halo".

I also own the real Halo.

I suppose the main purpose of the Aurora delay is to demonstrate use of the cross feedback parameters in the Multitap Delay block, which make the Halo effect possible; not necessarily copy the Halo exactly... or perhaps it is, given the name; but anyway, it does need darkening just a tad with a lil' harmonic distortion / saturation.

Last edited:
FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 3 is now available for download:

A new version of FM3-Edit is required for FW version 6.00:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-10-to-support-fw-6-00-public-beta-1.188170/

Updates over 6.00 beta 1:

• 6.00 beta 2
    • Fix the unavailable FC Setlist / Songs menu item from the Setup page on the hardware.
  • 6.00 beta 3
    • Fix occasional system lock up when exceeding the maximum CPU.
    • Fix minor algorithm issue in the Poweramp discovered by Cliff.

Last edited:
Did you see Burgs' suggested tweaks to the Aurora? Namely a bit of drive, subtle low / mids boost and high cut? I made those changes and am very happy with the Aurora now; I've saved the tweaked version as a library item named "Halo".

I also own the real Halo.

I suppose the main purpose of the Aurora delay is to demonstrate use of the cross feedback parameters in the Multitap Delay block, which make the Halo effect possible; not necessarily copy the Halo exactly... or perhaps it is, given the name; but anyway, it does need darkening just a tad with a lil' harmonic distortion / saturation.

I think I watched that when it first dropped but will need to revisit.

I did recognize the delay sounded a little too bright and clean. It does a really good job of capturing the vibe (at least what I've heard) of the Halo in terms of being a kind of modulated reverb-ish delay rather than straight ahead rhythmic delay. Adding a little bit of drive and making it warmer seem bang on.

Oh I also increased the LFO depth too because I just like a lot of chorus on my delays.

How do you like the real Halo as a standalone pedal? I'm trying to decide if I should pick one up as a stereo delay vs checking out a Strymon Dig or just not having a delay pedal since I have HX Stomp literally on the board already.

Also I'm kind of dumb and have a couple Walrus Audio pedals, really want the Julia/Julianna as a chorus, and I'm OCD enough to almost want to keep my ARP-87 delay over the Halo, even though I really want a stereo delay...

How do you like the real Halo as a standalone pedal? I'm trying to decide if I should pick one up as a stereo delay vs checking out a Strymon Dig or just not having a delay pedal since I have HX Stomp literally on the board already.

I only play the Halo in mono, but the sound is so good (the modulation perhaps?) that it tricks you into thinking that it's in stereo.

I don't want to sound rude or offend the lovely Mr. Keeley, should he ever read this: The Halo is a really great delay pedal. However, despite its other modes (e.g the Slapback setting), I find that I still use it mainly for the Halo effect - so in that respect it's a bit of a one-trick pony (IMO and for my uses)... but oh what a trick! And not to be disparaging... I have some very nice gear; so it's definitely up there with the best.

I can see why Mr. Timmons uses it with an expression pedal for volume - the Halo effect is great when dialed up for leads, but for rhythm / arpeggio, it can be a bit much and you'll probably want to dial it back a bit.

For versatility and on-the-fly fun, I prefer the Volante, which I can set to sound ballpark Halo in drum mode (not tape, I know, but it's more saturated) with some modulation (also available in drum mode) and 2 playback heads engaged. The Volante JFET pre is also really good and the sound quality and clarity of the unit as a whole is stunning.

Last edited:
I only play the Halo in mono, but the sound is so good (the modulation perhaps?) that it tricks you into thinking that it's in stereo.

I don't want to sound rude or offend the lovely Mr. Keeley, should he ever read this: The Halo is a really great delay pedal. However, despite its other modes (e.g the Slapback setting), I find that I still use it mainly for the Halo effect - so in that respect it's a bit of a one-trick pony (IMO and for my uses)... but oh what a trick! And not to be disparaging... I have some very nice gear; so it's definitely up there with the best.

I can see why Mr. Timmons uses it with an expression pedal for volume - the Halo effect is great when dialed up for leads, but for rhythm / arpeggio, it can be a bit much and you'll probably want to dial it back a bit.

For versatility and on-the-fly fun, I prefer the Volante, which I can set to sound ballpark Halo in drum mode (not tape, I know, but it's more saturated) with some modulation (also available in drum mode) and 2 playback heads engaged. The Volante JFET pre is also really good and the sound quality and clarity of the unit as a whole is stunning.

Well dammit now you're gonna have me looking at the Volante :)

I concur. I have been using a significant Lo Cut in the Cab Block to compensate. It is especially
noticeable (the flatulence) at band practice where I am running at a much higher volume than
here at home.

I am pretty stoked to try it out this week when we rehearse and see if I can eliminate that LO Cut some.

Sounds great so far. I still get stuck on how great it sounds and end up not exploring and checking
out all the other additions/improvements.

Back