Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

Yeah that’s a big problem. But I’m sure they’ve got the sense to fix that.

There are a number of somewhat quirky things they're doing, and for the life of me I don't understand why they're trying to reinvent the wheel in a solidly established market. Every one of the major players hosts their own forum-except Fender. Was this a bean counter decision? We don't know, and they won't admit it either way. They chose instead to set up a table in the corner at Discord.

But you will have to close the edited block on the QC once done. No need to do so on the Helix.
Not following. Are you concerned about the need to use the footswitches and the possibility of turning them? I guess I wouldn't leave a parameter screen up while performing (I'd likely have saved the preset, in fact) but otherwise, this has never been a problem for me. And closing an edited block is as easy as tapping almost anywhere on the screen anyway.

Last edited:
Pure speculation but because of business and evolution of chips.
What "chips" are we talking about, exactly? I wasn't aware the TMP was substantially (if at all) more powerful than FM9, Helix Floor, QC... I'm having trouble finding any specific information, except that the TMP runs "8 cores" - but that alone doesn't really tell you anything.

There are a number of somewhat quirky things they're doing, and for the life of me I don't understand why they're trying to reinvent the wheel in a solidly established market. Every one of the major players hosts their own forum-except Fender. Was this a bean counter decision? We don't know, and they won't admit it either way. They chose instead to set up a table in the corner at Discord.

I think they're unware about the state of the art of amp modeling. Look at the way they don't even have proper support for 4CM, and their response made it sound like they've never heard of 4CM before. There's a fine line between thinking outside the box and being willfully uninformed.

I think they're unware about the state of the art of amp modeling. Look at the way they don't even have proper support for 4CM, and their response made it sound like they've never heard of 4CM before. There's a fine line between thinking outside the box and being willfully uninformed.
What is "proper" support for 4CM? Meaning, how do you fail to have it when you have 4 FX loops?

What is "proper" support for 4CM? Meaning, how do you fail to have it when you have 4 FX loops?

Their cab/ir block applies an eq curve to simulate speaker impedance. That means when you're using 4CM method with a load box you get an SIC applied twice. The result sounds as terrible as you might think it would. When asked about it on the TOP, the Fender rep said they might someday look into adding support for 4CM, or as they put it "they have taken note of the request to add support for use with external amps". In other words, they didn't even consider one of the most important use cases for an amp modeler.

What "chips" are we talking about, exactly? I wasn't aware the TMP was substantially (if at all) more powerful than FM9, Helix Floor, QC... I'm having trouble finding any specific information, except that the TMP runs "8 cores" - but that alone doesn't really tell you anything.

If the TMP had substantially more CPU power than everybody else, there would be no need to use a lower sample rate than everybody else. That should tell us a lot about the TMP CPU power.

Guys, I get the impression that you're trying to reproduce the workflow of your other devices (I must say "workaround" to provoke .. lol), forgetting that the TMP is far more powerful in these respects: no snapshot is needed at all, digital settings are much faster and exactly as precise with rotary switches, there are fewer layers of parameters than on other devices, and the on/bypassed effects display is perfectly clear (to my eyes)..... About many of the issues mentionned, I say to myself: "with the TMP we don't do it like that at all, it's even simpler".

About the missing parameters, it's only the sound that's the judge. I'll admit that I'd also like some additional parameters to the real pedals (typically mix in modulation fx). But it's very likely that this will happen in a very near future update.
I'll say it again: have a look at how long it concretely takes to make a preset on the TMP. As soon as you know the rotary switches associated with each parameter, it's almost instantaneous! As fast, simple and precise as if you had the hardware in front of you. I don't know the Helix. But on the modelizers I know, it's way fastidious

Their cab/ir block applies an eq curve to simulate speaker impedance. That means when you're using 4CM method with a load box you get an SIC applied twice. The result sounds as terrible as you might think it would. When asked about it on the TOP, the Fender rep said they might someday look into adding support for 4CM, or as they put it "they have taken note of the request to add support for use with external amps". In other words, they didn't even consider one of the most important use cases for an amp modeler.
If you use an IR, the SIC is applied once. The issue arises when you use the cab block of the TMP And I understood Fender's answer much more optimistically than you did (as the SIC issue is said on the top of the list).

More: I don't need a virtual cab for 4cm, and by the way 4CM works particularly well with my Friedman in "real world"

Last edited:
If the TMP had substantially more CPU power than everybody else, there would be no need to use a lower sample rate than everybody else. That should tell us a lot about the TMP CPU power.
That say nothing except speculation

Not following. Are you concerned about the need to use the footswitches and the possibility of turning them? I guess I wouldn't leave a parameter screen up while performing (I'd likely have saved the preset, in fact) but otherwise, this has never been a problem for me. And closing an edited block is as easy as tapping almost anywhere on the screen anyway.

As usual, it's not about how easy it is, but about how fast it is.
If you want to, say, adjust an amp and a drive block, on the Helix it takes you one click to select the drive and another to select the amp. And vice versa. No inbetween clicks. You may now argue that this doesn't matter all too much, but in case you're finetuning things, it adds up.
Seriously, this is one of the things why onboard editing on the Helix is almost fun (whereas it's almost the opposite on the HX Stomp...), it's the closest to real world pedals.

Now, I defenitely give it to the QC (and TMP) that there's more parameters mapped to rotaries than on the Helix. And well, I always wished the Helix had more of them. However, with 6 encoders, for me most finetunings were usually possible without page flipping, the kind of "oh let's see what Bias is doing here" stuff needs to be done beforehand anyway, at least IMO (again pretty much different on the Stomp as 3 parameters aren't sufficient, plus the parameter order is just stupid).

Fwiw, talking about all that, I actually wish there was a unit allowing me to bring up multiple blocks at once, so I could edit them almost simultaneously without any close/select interruption. I know, possibly difficult to design outside of a big computer screen - but then, at least the QC and TMP should offer a mode with the signal flow diagram always being present on the screen, so you'd only edit with the knobs and could easily use the screen to select any block instantly.

Guys, I get the impression that you're trying to reproduce the workflow of your other devices (I must say "workaround" to provoke .. lol), forgetting that the TMP is far more powerful in these respects: no snapshot is needed at all, digital settings are much faster and exactly as precise with rotary switches, there are fewer layers of parameters than on other devices, and the on/bypassed effects display is perfectly clear (to my eyes)..... About many of the issues mentionned, I say to myself: "with the TMP we don't do it like that at all, it's even simpler".

About the missing parameters, it's only the sound that's the judge. I'll admit that I'd also like some additional parameters to the real pedals (typically mix in modulation fx). But it's very likely that this will happen in a very near future update.
I'll say it again: have a look at how long it concretely takes to make a preset on the TMP. As soon as you know the rotary switches associated with each parameter, it's almost instantaneous! As fast, simple and precise as if you had the hardware in front of you. I don't know the Helix. But on the modelizers I know, it's way fastidious
Ehhh, I don't really care if making a basic patch takes me 1 minute or 25 seconds. I'm not participating in the patch making olympics speed category.

Please elaborate.
TMP is powerful enough to use presets, or one preset combining several activable amps. And with the 3 preset/switch config (which can do a bunch of things, x 3 presets buttons) you can have a pedalboard with 3 x 3 instant sounds. I like this config. Of course, you can stay with 6 presets (= 6 pedalboards of 8 switches).
Personally, I don't see any limitations here.

The lack of 4CM support through a load box, due to the 2nd SIC it currently applies is an unfortunate oversight, but unlike selectable SIC's, they have not said fixing it is high priority. They have only said they have noted that people are requesting they add support for proper 4CM.

The lack of snapshots is also an unfortunate oversight. It was a miscalculation when they thought people only use snapshots to avoid preset changing gaps. There may be some people who use snapshots for that reason, but mostly snapshots are used to easily create and manage variations on a preset.

I had a good laugh about the comment that the bypassed effects on the TMP are easily identifiable :cool: .

This is what Fender overlooked. There's no way I want to make and manage several presets to achieve something that could be done easily within a single preset.

Exactly. Which is why it's stupid to not have scenes/snapshots/channels/multi-assignments as long as you don't have global blocks (which only the Axe FX and GT-1000 have).

Back