Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

Btw what do you mean by "footswitch assignement"?

Once you assign blocks to the capacitive footswitches, the Helix is by far the fastest to edit device on the market (as long as you stick to the assigned blocks), simply because you can directly jump between blocks.
There's a few caveats going along with it, but in general, that's a most excellent way for quick edits.

The PEQ is a prime example of screen space not being put to good use. There's no graphical representation of the EQ curve and the knobs are confined to a tiny portion of the screen.

Screenshot_20240305-101211.png

The PEQ is a great utility tool so I hope this sees some love in future updates.

Once you assign blocks to the capacitive footswitches, the Helix is by far the fastest to edit device on the market (as long as you stick to the assigned blocks), simply because you can directly jump between blocks.
There's a few caveats going along with it, but in general, that's a most excellent way for quick edits.
Opinion based on plenty of first hand experience: the QC is faster. Touching a Helix footswitch (sometimes repeatedly to cycle through multiple blocks) isn't any faster than touching an amp/effect block directly on the QC screen, and once you've done the latter, the QC will take the lead simply by virtue of having more parameters displayed and more corresponding encoders.

I feel like @Digital Igloo would reject this label, but I dunno. Isn't this kind of fabricated statement just as much a bad faith argument as those that fill this forum, as you claimed earlier?
Yes, bad faith is part of the forums. How many people give their opinion without having tried the TMP? Is the Helix at the end of its life? These are two things we don't know really. But it's likely that the Helix won't evolve much more, whereas the TMP is at the beginning of its life. No?

Opinion based on plenty of first hand experience: the QC is faster. Touching a Helix footswitch (sometimes repeatedly to cycle through multiple blocks) isn't any faster than touching an amp/effect block directly on the QC screen, and once you've done the latter, the QC will take the lead simply by virtue of having more parameters displayed and more corresponding encoders.

But you will have to close the edited block on the QC once done. No need to do so on the Helix.

Well, in any case I've woken up this thread. I haven't managed to turn it into a TMP worshipping cult yet. But I'm not giving up hope... lol

Not sure to understand but with the TMP you can also jump from block to block.
Anyway I find the GUI (and rotary switches) very fast and powerful.

But it's likely that the Helix won't evolve much more, whereas the TMP is at the beginning of its life. No?
Maybe, but while we’re speaking of likelihoods, isn’t it just as likely that Fender abandons TMP like they’ve done other products?

I don’t know what the future holds for TMP or how it might evolve (assuming Fender does continue to support it), but to me, there’s quite a chasm to cross before it touches L6 or Fractal in terms of features or functionality. Who knows. Maybe it ticks more of my boxes in the future, but for now, I don’t see anything in TMP worth Helix/FM9 money.

The PEQ is a prime example of screen space not being put to good use. There's no graphical representation of the EQ curve and the knobs are confined to a tiny portion of the screen.

View attachment 19507

The PEQ is a great utility tool so I hope this sees some love in future updates.

That's a prime example of so many things that are wrong with the TMP UI.

I can never tell what the bypassed effects are on the TMP because of the way they are greyed out.

The TMP effects UI are a slave to the primitive UI of the pedal that is being modeled. The obvious controls that should be there are missing. No helpful meters on effects like compressors. This is a skeuomorphic nightmare.

You can't type in parameter values.

Many presets require you to scroll horizontally to reach an effect.

The UI is comfortable for the first 30 minutes after you open the box, but then it becomes objectively painful to use. Fender has single-handedly set back modeler UI's 20 years.

Not sure to understand but with the TMP you can also jump from block to block.
Anyway I find the GUI (and rotary switches) very fast and powerful.
Sure. I would expect TMP to be equivalent to QC in this regard. But I have no firsthand experience with TMP.

That's a prime example of so many things that are wrong with the TMP UI.

I can never tell what the bypassed effects are on the TMP because of the way they are greyed out.

The TMP effects UI are a slave to the primitive UI of the pedal that is being modeled. The obvious controls that should be there are missing. No helpful meters on effects like compressors. This is a skeuomorphic nightmare.

You can't type in parameter values.

Many presets require you to scroll horizontally to reach an effect.

The UI is comfortable for the first 30 minutes after you open the box, but then it becomes objectively painful to use. Fender has single-handedly set back modeler UI's 20 years.
Deep as a thimble.

I've been totally out of the loop with the TMP lately. Are there any rumors of a native plugin at some point? This would interest me.

I've been totally out of the loop with the TMP lately. Are there any rumors of a native plugin at some point? This would interest me.

I have no concrete information on this topic; but speaking as a casual observer with an MI industry interest:

Of all the possible near-future outcomes, a native plugin from Fender would seem to be the most unlikely to me! 🙂

They've always struck me as being entirely about shifting hardware units.

I have no concrete information on this topic; but speaking as a casual observer with an MI industry interest:

Of all the possible near-future outcomes, a native plugin from Fender would seem to be the most unlikely to me! 🙂

They've always struck me as being entirely about shifting hardware units.
Yeah, but with Presonus involved you'd think there'd be a greater possibility?

I use it all the time. It’s crucial for me in terms of switching quickly between dry gainy tones, atmospheric cleans, and drenched lead tones. The Fractal’s channels functionality only adds to that further, none of which is on the Tonemaster “Pro”.

Isn't that effectively covered by the gapless preset switching on the TMP? Albeit less flexible in terms of reusing shared items...

It's $200 more than the Helix and 9 years behind. How long do you think it will take for them to catch up to something that's 9 years old before they can start "surpassing" it?

TMP had, hands down, the absolutely best sounding spring reverb in any unit on the market. For two weeks...

Looking at this objectively, I don't think the TMP will be able to easily catch up to Fractal or Line 6. They will be able to get it up to speed well enough, but Fractal and Line 6 are not going to hold up future updates of their own in order to allow Fender to catch them.

But here's the thing: The TMP doesn't necessarily need to have everything the others have in order to be a great unit, but it does need to meet certain minimum requirements in order for experienced digital users to take it seriously.

Sure? Seems dumb to have six presets for one song though. And that’s before accounting for channels, which I guess would still fall under different presets. It’s just a pain in the ass to manage. Does the TMP have Favorites/Block Library?

You can’t even save anything to your computer right now, everything has to be saved to their cloud.

Back