Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

I'd argue "not good." You can't have that many glaring misses on what is an $1800 unit once you
get taxed.

Fender be like ....

Sport Fail GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

..... with the TMP.
But ....its a fender....it must be good

That’s an awful lot of assumption for someone you know nothing about.

If YOU, TimBuck3, had an AWESOME pile of amps that you know and love and have gigged for years, would YOU stop using them in favor of an option that doesn’t do what you want, just so maybe someday if a company releases some new gear you might get the chance to try it before everyone else?

Because to me, that sounds like an exercise in fucking stupid.
not sure. I have some awesome amps and like playing them but if i was gigging again and had to move stuff on my own i would go modeling. If i had roadies i would gig my amps for sure. I dont know him(maybe you do?) and i just wonder how beta testers are treated if for instance they say its not that great? Would fender still continue using them as a beta?

not sure. I have some awesome amps and like playing them but if i was gigging again and had to move stuff on my own i would go modeling. If i had roadies i would gig my amps for sure. I dont know him(maybe you do?) and i just wonder how beta testers are treated if for instance they say its not that great? Would fender still continue using them as a beta?

I actually know two of the beta testers very well, for close to 20 years and not just via the internet. They both were using Fractal units before they got the TMP. That’s why I hit @jdzialak today, I know he’s still gigging the TMP despite owning both killer amps and the FM9.

Because I’ve known those guys so long, the gear they’ve used/use, the tones they go for and how serious they are about it, I got excited for the TMP and the fact at least jdzialak is still using it says something to me.

And while jdzialak is a fairly mild-mannered dude, McShred, the other beta tester I know, is not. I have no doubt in my mind that @stilwel heard every single thing McShred did or didn’t dig about the TMP, along with colorful and creative language, possibly NSFW pics.

Hey All,

Long time no see. Any word on a future firmware update to address the perceived lackluster performance of the high-gain and Marshall amps? Any news or rumors about adding more amp choices?

Thanks!

Hey All,

Long time no see. Any word on a future firmware update to address the perceived lackluster performance of the high-gain and Marshall amps? Any news or rumors about adding more amp choices?

Thanks!
Aside from the 5150 III Stealth Red model, I've not seen any public comments that there are specific fixes needed or in work. That is to say, if there are perceived shortcomings, those are not perceived by Fender, therefore are unlikely to be fixed.

Fender has committed to updates every 6 months, but only time will tell if that will materialize. They have alluded to amp models being part of those updates.

but as a beta guy isnt he somewhat biased? I mean he wants to keep being a beta guy right?
This is my first time being a beta guy for Fender, and I am not sure how that makes me biased. I have owned the helix, Axefx2, and currently own the fractal FM9.

I did not read through 25 pages of this or whatever other rant thread there is. I have absolutely no trouble getting incredible. Sounds out of the unit for both recording and Live. And I have used it for both already. It has some of the best Marshall plexi tones I’ve gotten out of any modeler, and the EVH stuff is spot on. Plus, there’s a whole bunch of other cool things. I could do any of my gigs right now with either the tone Pro or the FM9 and not have a problem or wish I was using the other unit.
The amount of firmware updates, since I started beta testing, have been rolling in fast and furious, and there are even two that came out that aren’t public yet that we are still tweaking. They are on top of getting things sorted, if there are ever any bugs, etc. And the tonal landscape Keeps expanding and their cabinet simulation sounds incredible

their cabinet simulation sounds incredible

I've been trying for two weeks now to find the right IR with the FM9 to make it sound as amp-in-the-room like as the TMP does with its built in cab through the FR12. I agree it's very good!

I love the Fractal Stuff especially the amp choices and the effects but when it comes down to it I'm using a Twin or similar blackface style clean amp as my base tone with pedals. TMP excels there for me. I don't use the vast majority of amps on either platform.

Aside from the 5150 III Stealth Red model, I've not seen any public comments that there are specific fixes needed or in work. That is to say, if there are perceived shortcomings, those are not perceived by Fender, therefore are unlikely to be fixed.

Fender has committed to updates every 6 months, but only time will tell if that will materialize. They have alluded to amp models being part of those updates.

There was a bit of back and forth regarding the SIC being baked into the cab instead of the amp model, and I can see why Fender doesn't want to change that (being as it would require a pretty significant overhaul of the amp modeling). Minor tweaks to the gainier amp models shouldn't require major work, so we'll see if they decide to adjust them to make people happy (note I did not say "fix," as I don't want to open the debate on that topic).

"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell
Like what you like, enjoy what you have
You do you, il do me

:beer

Last edited:
There was a bit of back and forth regarding the SIC being baked into the cab instead of the amp model, and I can see why Fender doesn't want to change that (being as it would require a pretty significant overhaul of the amp modeling). Minor tweaks to the gainier amp models shouldn't require major work, so we'll see if they decide to adjust them to make people happy (note I did not say "fix," as I don't want to open the debate on that topic).
Sure, and I wasn’t trying to frame my comment as a dig at fender. My point was: the only way anything will change is if fender agrees that a change is needed. Maybe that’s a better way to put it. So it doesn’t really matter if anyone perceives an issue if fender doesn’t share that observation.

I actually know two of the beta testers very well, for close to 20 years and not just via the internet. They both were using Fractal units before they got the TMP. That’s why I hit @jdzialak today, I know he’s still gigging the TMP despite owning both killer amps and the FM9.

Because I’ve known those guys so long, the gear they’ve used/use, the tones they go for and how serious they are about it, I got excited for the TMP and the fact at least jdzialak is still using it says something to me.

And while jdzialak is a fairly mild-mannered dude, McShred, the other beta tester I know, is not. I have no doubt in my mind that @stilwel heard every single thing McShred did or didn’t dig about the TMP, along with colorful and creative language, possibly NSFW pics.
well thanx for the explanation....I am alot like mc shred..lol...i would tell fender why i didnt like it if i didnt pretty openly.

Hey now....I'm totally mild mannered! That was the old Cocaine Bear Flinto2002, this new dad mode McShred is chill.... Nah, I just threw up a little in my mouth when I typed that.

Tell you what, I'm going out on the 80's Cruise next month with When in Rome and the Fender is coming with. Its form factor, ease of programming without a computer, and quality tones mean that I'll be able to travel with my sounds and then dial them up during soundcheck in the theater regardless of what kind of backline I get. I'll be able to tweak things in the ships cabin as well, without trying to sync up to a laptop or other high maintenance nonsense.

I find the TMP and the FM9 pretty much interchangeable. There are things I like better about the TMP (ease of programming, auditioning changes, speaker sims, complete inability to overload the CPU....can't be done, I dare you) and things I like better about FM9 (currently has more amp models, scene mode, in depth tweaking of some parameters) but I suspect Fender will up the amp model count and roll out some equivalent of scene mode in the future.

I've gigged with both, recorded with both, and can get the goods with either.

If I was in market for a new unit and new to modeling the TMP would be it. You can't fuck things up, it works how you'd expect it to work, like iOS. You buy a fractal and you better have Leon Todd's videos saved to your favorites cause nothing about that unit is intuitive.

Sorry but nearly everything I've ever heard from the TMP has been bowel. Not only am I put off by the TMP, but I'm also put off all other Fender digital products and pedals because of it, because at some level, I know it will all be cack.

Some of the stuff I've heard from the delay and reverb pedals is decent, but that makes me more liable to buy one of those than the TMP.

Sorry but nearly everything I've ever heard from the TMP has been bowel.
this is where i’m at. I’ve even had it myself, where in the room I thought my tone was AMAZING, then I record it and listen back and it’s rubbish.

Anecdotal experience is all nice to read but it’s pretty meaningless no matter what it comes from. Until I hear a TMP sounding as good as either real mic’d up gear (which other modellers can do pretty damn well), or at least comparing favourably to other modellers then the jury is massively out for me.

The amount of positive posts I’ve read about the TMP sounding great compared to actual audio of it is hugely disproportionate to me.

That doesn’t mean it couldn’t do a job in some situations - a lot of the time modellers don’t need to be particularly accurate or even sound THAT good. In context, other stuff will matter way more and as long as it’s reliable and has the right features it can do a job.

But is there even a single clip of the TMP JCM800/Friedman/Uber/IIC+/Recto sounding comparable to the real deal? Helix/QC/Fractal etc have all done that repeatedly. So far I haven’t heard a single user made clip of the TMP that was even close - no amount of anecdotal experiences will change that.

this is where i’m at. I’ve even had it myself, where in the room I thought my tone was AMAZING, then I record it and listen back and it’s rubbish.

Anecdotal experience is all nice to read but it’s pretty meaningless no matter what it comes from. Until I hear a TMP sounding as good as either real mic’d up gear (which other modellers can do pretty damn well), or at least comparing favourably to other modellers then the jury is massively out for me.

The amount of positive posts I’ve read about the TMP sounding great compared to actual audio of it is hugely disproportionate to me.

That doesn’t mean it couldn’t do a job in some situations - a lot of the time modellers don’t need to be particularly accurate or even sound THAT good. In context, other stuff will matter way more and as long as it’s reliable and has the right features it can do a job.

But is there even a single clip of the TMP JCM800/Friedman/Uber/IIC+/Recto sounding comparable to the real deal? Helix/QC/Fractal etc have all done that repeatedly. So far I haven’t heard a single user made clip of the TMP that was even close - no amount of anecdotal experiences will change that.
'unnered percent guvnor.

Back