Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

Don’t you work for Fender Corp?
Yes I'm in the TMP Reverse Influence Psyop Division
Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

Is the V2 confirmed?

It's a few posts above the one linked earlier. Here it is:

It's a few posts above the one linked earlier. Here it is:

Thanks, I saw that. I was talking about folks getting new ones recently from Fender or resellers that did not have this issue. I was referring to Fender possibly addressing this with a V2 from the factory.

Recap:

Fender put out their original FRs. Although they immediately garnered very positive reviews (deservedly so imo; I posted my own rave review), these FRs had a bit of hiss that is annoying for some people and acceptable for others. People mentioned this on some forums and Fender, silent on it for a while, finally said (paraphrasing) "working as intended. This hiss is acceptable for how much power it puts out."

WKSmith started working on figuring out where the hiss was coming from.

Lysander also started working on this separately around the same time (a few days later AFAIK).

Each of these fine individuals came up with their own solutions to the hiss.

Lysander's solution was to replace the three noisy opamps. I used this method to mod my own FR-12 and it absolutely did the trick--the hiss is gone. This is a doable DIY mod and not difficult if you have the right tools and are at least competent with a soldering iron.

WKSmith's final solution was to build an entirely new preamp board which not only solves the hiss but also has a bunch of other benefits and is a nearly drop-in replacement (I believe you just need to slightly enlarge the hole for the volume pot so the new volume pot/clipping indicator will fit). This solution is in the final stages of development and he's now gauging how much interest there is.

Fender, almost certainly lurking around Lysander's thread, silently implemented a very similar fix in their newest production versions, replacing two of the noisy opamps. They did this without giving any indication to buyers if they're buying an original version or a new version with less hiss.

Recap:

Fender put out their original FRs. Although they immediately garnered very positive reviews (deservedly so imo; I posted my own rave review), these FRs had a bit of hiss that is annoying for some people and acceptable for others. People mentioned this on some forums and Fender, silent on it for a while, finally said (paraphrasing) "working as intended. This hiss is acceptable for how much power it puts out."
They also posted and deleted this bit before they went silent for a while: "We're re-evaluating the recent production FR cabs vs our golden samples and vs the competition to see if they are under-performing regarding noise."

I ordered a TM FR-12 from Candywater. If it hisses it goes back. BTW, a Hot Rod Deluxe cover fits it according to Fender.
$20.

Not a big difference but Music and Arts have the HRD Covers for $16.86 and most retailers will price match. Not that $3 is life changing but it feels like a win when I get something like that :rofl

Sorta like this? I know, it isn't oxblood, it's wheat. I built it as a speculative prototype in 2016. Prospective customer passed. I still use it on occasion.

View attachment 17735

Blonde and Wheat is better than Blonde and Oxblood. :) I have a 1x12 made by JD Newell in that color combo and had the 1st version of the DR RI like that too. Anyway, either looks WAY better than the awful HRD look

Back