Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

So Fender replaced 2 of the 3 applicable opamps and did so with versions that are, on paper, quieter than their original choice but still twice as noisy as the ones @Lysander chose. This makes me curious to hear one of these "fixed" ones alongside an OG (lol) model and a Lysander-modded version.

And that's not even mentioning the WKSmith preamp that so many of us are drooling over. 🤤

So Fender replaced 2 of the 3 applicable opamps and did so with versions that are, on paper, quieter than their original choice but still twice as noisy as the ones @Lysander chose.

More like 25-30%, but we're talking very low noise floors here, so i doubt it would make any substantial difference: 3.3 nV/√Hz for the OPA1664 Fender's using, vs. 2.5nV/√Hz for the OPA1604 i suggested, and 18 nV/√Hz for the original TL084s (lower figures are better).

As far as i can tell, Fender just chose OPA1664 because is one of the cheapest SoundPlus opamps from TI (half of OPA1604 when purchased in bulk), but it's still stupid expensive to "fix" amps these way. I just can't believe no one at Fender could be bothered to acknowledge this flaw, and work on a MKII preamp board instead.

And that's not even mentioning the WKSmith preamp that so many of us are drooling over. 🤤

I have really high hopes for that one 🤞

Last edited:
Hi there,
I recently bought 2 Fr 12.
I was wondering if any of you had a sound issue when connecting the xlr out?
I got a tiny volume change (less), and sounds becomes a bit fizzy (not sure of that word..i'm french :rolleyes:)
It's really disapointing as they sound really great otherwise..

Hi there,
I recently bought 2 Fr 12.
I was wondering if any of you had a sound issue when connecting the xlr out?
I got a tiny volume change (less), and sounds becomes a bit fizzy (not sure of that word..i'm french :rolleyes:)

What is your XLR out connected to?

Did you ever connect the XLR out to a PA with phantom power? Because there is no phantom protection on the FR-12, so it could be damaged.

"the XLR out is designed only for driving a second FR":

No phantom power protection:

Last edited:
What is your XLR out connected to?

Did you ever connect the XLR out to a PA with phantom power? Because there is no phantom protection on the FR-12, so it could be damaged.

"the XLR out is designed only for driving a second FR":

No phantom power protection:

Thank's for replying.
It's connected to my RME Baby Face but i've never turned on the phantom power..

It's connected to my RME Baby Face but i've never turned on the phantom power..

Hmm. That Babyface looks cool. Never seen one of those before.

Could PAD be set to active on the Babyface?

I noticed this in the Babyface manual:

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.57.05.png

Just to be sure i explained it properly, the sound coming from the xlr out in the RME is ok, problem is the sound coming out of the FR 12 when they're connected with XLR.
Both 48v/Pad are off here.
Hmm. That Babyface looks cool. Never seen one of those before.

Could PAD be set to active on the Babyface?

I noticed this in the Babyface manual:

View attachment 17200

Just to be sure i explained it properly, the sound coming from the xlr out in the RME is ok, problem is the sound coming out of the FR 12 when they're connected with XLR.
Both 48v/Pad are off here.
Do the controls on the FR-12 affect the sound coming into the Babyface at all? I think that output jack is just wired in parallel to the input jack on the FR-12, so unless there's some interaction between the gain circuits on that and the Babyface I'm not sure what could be causing fuzziness. A tiny drop in volume would be expected with both plugged in (around 2db or so) since it's effectively a passive split.

-Aaron

I think that output jack is just wired in parallel to the input jack on the FR-12, so unless there's some interaction between the gain circuits on that and the Babyface I'm not sure what could be causing fuzziness.

It is. The XLR out splits from the input, before even going into the preamp - not sure what could cause any fuzz issues, other than phantom power being present.

Hi Aaron,
no they don't. They shouldn't anyway, according to Fender specs..
Good. Of course Fender also says that the device is protected against Phantom power and is rated at 1000 watts. So who knows? :wat

So I'm not sure what could be causing the fuzziness. I guess it would help to know exactly what you mean by fuzziness, though. Is it more of a hum or buzz like you'd get from lights with single coil pickups or bad grounds or is it more like a change in the timbre of the sound itself?

-Aaron

Good. Of course Fender also says that the device is protected against Phantom power and is rated at 1000 watts. So who knows? :wat

So I'm not sure what could be causing the fuzziness. I guess it would help to know exactly what you mean by fuzziness, though. Is it more of a hum or buzz like you'd get from lights with single coil pickups or bad grounds or is it more like a change in the timbre of the sound itself?

-Aaron
Ok, literally just found out what the problem is....!
I'm leaving both xlr always plugged in on both sides (fr12 and Babyface)
The problem occurs only when i'm using the fr12 while my laptop/babyface are off....

Impulse response n00b here. Does a guitar-cab-like "FRFR" speaker such as the FR-12 sound better with close/direct IRs or mixed IRs (mixed with a room mic)?

Impulse response n00b here. Does a guitar-cab-like "FRFR" speaker such as the FR-12 sound better with close/direct IRs or mixed IRs (mixed with a room mic)?
Depending on what you are going for. One thing to keep in mind I guess is an "FRFR" speaker is never going to be a replacement for a traditional guitar cab. It will always produce a mic'd studio guitar sound. As long as one accepts and sets their expectations straight with that, one can enjoy it. We should think of these like "FRFR" PA speakers that are shaped like guitar cabs for aesthetics. This is just my opinion.

Back