ENGL Special Edition: Founders Edition

Oh your right, a Fractal or a Helix isn't begging for a great pedal platform...........
Lol no I just found it amusing Jon gives us a very in depth run down of a very expensive sought after amp and your thought was to use it as a pedal platform for digital gear.

I love me some fractal and helix (and well most digital gear) but I think we can all just enjoy and appreciate the awesomeness that is this amp!

I've never had luck running preamps or digital gear into the front of an amp anyway. Usually the effects loop is the way to go imo.

But anyway, killer video!

Lol no I just found it amusing Jon gives us a very in depth run down of a very expensive sought after amp and your thought was to use it as a pedal platform for digital gear.

I love me some fractal and helix (and well most digital gear) but I think we can all just enjoy and appreciate the awesomeness that is this amp!

I've never had luck running preamps or digital gear into the front of an amp anyway. Usually the effects loop is the way to go imo.

But anyway, killer video!
You didn't watch the new vid I think....

I finally got to try the Tube Driver channel with some pedals:

It's not a bad idea.

A lot of distortion pedals and pedals that call themselves "preamps" are bullshit and aren't actually capable of driving a poweramp so they sound dull and crappy when plugged into an fx return. But if you put something that can actually drive the poweramp - in this case a simple built in preamp - then it can sound pretty great.

A few years back I tried this out with a Strymon Riverside. It's a tube preamp-ish digital drive pedal capable of anything from clean boost to high gain. I plugged into the fx return of a Fryette Power Station and with the volume cranked it could kinda work at low volume, but it didn't sound too good.

But then I put my DIY Hudson Broadcast clone after the Riverside. The Broadcast clone has a switchable charge pump design to drive the pedal at a whopping 27V. This raises its headroom tremendously and Riverside -> Broadcast -> Fryette PS-100 -> 4x10 Greenbacks sounded pretty damn righteous and loud, with the Broadcast adding its own flavor to the goings too where at more subtle gain settings it adds some nice top end brightness that cuts really well.

I don't know if having a whole channel like this in what is already a very complex and capable amp makes a ton of sense, but hey, it's at least a differentiator feature!

Back