Picking a new amp challenge: Engl Artist vs Marshall JVM410 (all ideas welcomed)

Which one you suggest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How much is that in Stomps?
number GIF by Sesame Street

Caution! Achtung! This will be a sad post, don't read further if you're sensitive.

So I prepared my wallet for very big purchase; jcm studio, brand new guitar, many pedals, recording tools etc. I was just deciding if I should get maple or ebony fretboard charvel. Then everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Well not really, but my work situation is now requiring a car and it cannot wait. I'm so pissed off to this. Not only all my reserved money for guitar equipment will go to a car, I will be also paying its loan 6 months or so. :facepalm I'd be fine with it normally but not when I was haercore GASing.

Annoying.

Probably I'll need to decide again what to buy after one year because you know...

Sorry, mate. That blows. Cars/autos can be a massive financial suck. Essential, though, for many of us.

Hey guys! Here's few updates
and more questions to you guys :crazy

For the car, we got 2019 ford fiesta lol. Price was okay and loan payment is not that bad. So I'm back on the track, thinking something cheap until I pay off the car completely, then I can think of jcm800 again.
:rubshands

What you guys think of Blackstar ht1rh and Marshall dsl1hr? They also save me from buying captor cab sim as I was just needing it for headphone out and aux in. Probably marshall sounds better for Holy Maiden and in general but Blackstar had really good headphone emulation (I had MK1 version years ago). Are these DSL's any good with headphones as well?

Another stuff, Blackstar offers 4-16 ohm output and dsl1 has 16 ohm output only while my cab is mono 8 stereo 16 ohm.

Little stupid question maybe but good to ask beforehand, can I plug 16 ohm marshall to this in stereo?

IMG_20230730_215415.jpg

It says 2x16 ohm so I was wondering do I really need to plug two 16. It wouldn't blow up if I connect single 16 ohm in stereo right?

But in any way with dsl1 I will be able to use only one speaker. With blackstar I'll be able to use the whole cab.

DSL1HR gut shots:

1690749264800.png

Blackstar:

1690749249198.jpeg

Typical Blackstar surface mount party, probably fine but probably cheaper to buy a new one than ever fix if something goes wrong.

I wanted to give it enough shot before I say something. Actually, I returned it few hours ago and ordered Blackstar ht1rh mkii instead!

Sound was really big, there was nothing wrong with it. It had that famous Marshall vibe even though it's a 1 watt made in Vietnam. It nailed hard rock tones easily and thrashed with ts9 boost. I hated dsl20 and dsl40 combos when I tried them in the store, probably I didn't crank them enough or maybe combo speakers were bad in general. My v30 loaded Engl cab in the other hand made a very big difference.

The reason I returned the amp was emulated out and single 16 ohm output. I just didn't like the emulated out. Tried with audio interface and amped headphone but it was still sounding bad. Having only 16 ohm output is an another problem, my cab is 8 ohm mono, 16 ohm stereo. Blackstar ht1rh has very good emulated headphone out and aux in, it has also 4-16 ohm variety.

I will eventually get a better Marshall amp, dsl1 would be useless when I have it but I can still use Blackstar for quiet jamming.

I wanted to give it enough shot before I say something. Actually, I returned it few hours ago and ordered Blackstar ht1rh mkii instead!

Sound was really big, there was nothing wrong with it. It had that famous Marshall vibe even though it's a 1 watt made in Vietnam. It nailed hard rock tones easily and thrashed with ts9 boost. I hated dsl20 and dsl40 combos when I tried them in the store, probably I didn't crank them enough or maybe combo speakers were bad in general. My v30 loaded Engl cab in the other hand made a very big difference.

The reason I returned the amp was emulated out and single 16 ohm output. I just didn't like the emulated out. Tried with audio interface and amped headphone but it was still sounding bad. Having only 16 ohm output is an another problem, my cab is 8 ohm mono, 16 ohm stereo. Blackstar ht1rh has very good emulated headphone out and aux in, it has also 4-16 ohm variety.

I will eventually get a better Marshall amp, dsl1 would be useless when I have it but I can still use Blackstar for quiet jamming.
Good luck with the Blackstar! Let us know how you like it.

Thanks!
It will come after 3 or 4 days. I had Blackstar mki HT1R so I don't have too much expectations, it won't sound as good as Marshall.

Btw dsl1 made me want to buy JVM410

Ok it arrived and...

IMG_20230814_171634.jpg

sounds bad. I don't know why they changed the voicing, it sounds so bassy with my cab. It's shaking stuff on the shelf and the table. Man it's annoying. Mk1 was quite fine with the 70 80 loaded Blackstar cab. Headphone out is better than Marshall but somehow not the way I remember. Dsl1 was amazing through the cab comparing to this.

Probably will be returned. Should I just get headphone amp for 40 euros? Anyone knows new TC electronic Jims 800 pedal? It has headphone out but well, I don't trust these stuff anymore.

Maybe I should just save for suhr or torpedo loaders and use it with proper amps later.

Ok. No more toys, Ill try to save 1000 bucks more and get the jvm410h lol. I feel like I won't like anything less than that. My brother in law is looking for big jcm800 reissue, I ll ask him if he wants to change the amps sometimes 🤣 win win

Sorry to hear that the Blackstar also doesn‘t seem to be the right choice.

The JVM is a great amp, just remember to add a decent noise gate to your shopping list. ;-) Have you considered to look out for a used 800?

Another option could be the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium. Might just be the perfect solution for your needs.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that the Blackstar also doesn‘t seem to be the right choice.

The JVM is a great amp, just remember to add a decent noise gate to your shopping list. ;-) Have you considered to look out for a used 800?

Another option could be the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium. Might just be the perfect solution for your needs.

Second hand market is not good in Finland so probably would buy brand new. I'll listen the amp1 dayum it's pricey

Back