Picking a new amp challenge: Engl Artist vs Marshall JVM410 (all ideas welcomed)

Which one you suggest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure what price ENGL Artist’s go for, but in the UK used prices are something like this:

- DSL100 £300
- JVM 410 £500
- JCM800 SC20 £500

I’ve also paid £500 for a 1987 Jubilee Combo and 2210 Combo from that period. Between these I just don’t see the point in the SC20, the others are all much better amps in every way besides size.

I’d imagine if you like ENGL, the JVM is more of a refined/polished/tight type of tone than the DSL. The JVM has more in the way of features that make it a bit more familiar to an ENGL. JVM410H and 1960BV (or bx or TV) would be my recommendation

the main task is jamming with iron maiden songs.

At what volume?

I say JVM410 is the most versatile and practical.
Tomorrow you will want to jam to some Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Clean Jazz or SRV with a Tubescreamer, the JVM410 has a far wider range of tones in it than the other options.

Not sure what price ENGL Artist’s go for, but in the UK used prices are something like this:

- DSL100 £300
- JVM 410 £500
- JCM800 SC20 £500

I’ve also paid £500 for a 1987 Jubilee Combo and 2210 Combo from that period. Between these I just don’t see the point in the SC20, the others are all much better amps in every way besides size.

I’d imagine if you like ENGL, the JVM is more of a refined/polished/tight type of tone than the DSL. The JVM has more in the way of features that make it a bit more familiar to an ENGL. JVM410H and 1960BV (or bx or TV) would be my recommendation
Second hand is not cheap here in Finland, there's also no variety so I have to buy brand new.
JVM: 1279€
Sc20h: 899€
Artist: 1425€
I'm checking store's stocks but it seems they have only DSLs, giving me no chance to try myself. Imagine I'm living in the capital.

I'm not expecting any tight metal tones in the first place (because I already have one amp serving to that purpose) but it's a big plus because as you said that's more of a my type of amp.
So it really depends with the JVM, I love the tones, if it does the trick (iron maiden tones from first to last album) better than jcm 800 studio then its a go. I can also play stereo with both fireball and JVM, I think they should sound very good together. Jcm 400 euros cheaper, I can invest that money in the cabs or pedals, or in recording equipments.

Cab you suggested looks good, oversized Marshall with greenbacks could do amazing job.

I mean I have a collector spirit, I'm just not rich enough, eventually I'll buy JVM and jcm and engl artist all together, just don't know when maybe after 5 years, maybe 10. I had 7 guitars and 4 amps when I was in the university, had to sell everything except my 2 Jacksons when I moved to another country.

@Orvillain I think I cannot afford that, not sure if I can find even.

Last edited:
At what volume?

I say JVM410 is the most versatile and practical.
Tomorrow you will want to jam to some Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Clean Jazz or SRV with a Tubescreamer, the JVM410 has a far wider range of tones in it than the other options.
Lower volumes, sorry I thought I mentioned in the main post. So I can't really push power tubes without an attenuator.

Yes I jam with Megadeth and Judas too.

What cab/speaker you guys suggest for JVM? Can V30 handle nwobhm ?

I prefer V30's with JVM's over other speakers, they just seem to pair up really nicely IMO. Maybe for old school stuff the standard 1960 with T75's would work well, and save some money. They're a bit more divisive to people and maybe a touch harder to record. I also think T75's sound best when driven a bit - the scooped voicing balances out the midrange from a driven poweramp. The Marshall Greenback cabs are fantastic and sound great.

All of these amps sound better not driving the power section too hard anyway, you'll have less tonal compromise with the big amps than with a 20W (they're fun but there is a trade off and I always just end up going for the full fat one). Think of the power more as headroom for the signal than just volume at the output. But yeah, JVM will cover all your bases and give you channel switching, FX loops. DSL is a bit more caveman, but again, youll get a pretty great "stock jcm800" tone on one channel, and "modded plexi" on the other. I believe the current version allows you to footswitch between the 2 modes on each channel, so you could also have a clean tone there. They just all share the same EQ vs JVM where its like having tons of different amplifiers inside the same head.

Not for all the Fleshlights in the world!!!
Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office

I‘ll ask again next week.

I prefer V30's with JVM's over other speakers, they just seem to pair up really nicely IMO. Maybe for old school stuff the standard 1960 with T75's would work well, and save some money. They're a bit more divisive to people and maybe a touch harder to record. I also think T75's sound best when driven a bit - the scooped voicing balances out the midrange from a driven poweramp. The Marshall Greenback cabs are fantastic and sound great.

All of these amps sound better not driving the power section too hard anyway, you'll have less tonal compromise with the big amps than with a 20W (they're fun but there is a trade off and I always just end up going for the full fat one). Think of the power more as headroom for the signal than just volume at the output. But yeah, JVM will cover all your bases and give you channel switching, FX loops. DSL is a bit more caveman, but again, youll get a pretty great "stock jcm800" tone on one channel, and "modded plexi" on the other. I believe the current version allows you to footswitch between the 2 modes on each channel, so you could also have a clean tone there. They just all share the same EQ vs JVM where its like having tons of different amplifiers inside the same head.
We have very similar taste on the sound for sure. JVM is very versatile, at least 4 different amp inside (and multiple with mods) it has reverb for each channel, foot switch included...

Man there are so many pluses and minuses, I think I will get both of them. But how the fuk in earth I will explain it to my wife?

Okay guys, I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Ive been thinking a lot, checking lots of videos, reading other forums etc. and I decided with jcm 800 studio. In the end versatility is not I'm after, I have some list of amps to buy, 5153 6l6 stealth, ENGL Savage 120 and few more, all tones don't have to be in only one amp. Comparing with JVM, jcm will leave me almost 400€ good amount of money for pedals. Now I have to think about cabinets.

I have also many questions about them. Should I create new post or should we keep it here?

I would get a Marshall or any cab with T75s, and for amps I’d rather have a few smaller amps like the dsl20 and 20w 6505 than one 100w for home use
Yep, the DNA in a package that fits.
Like… a dick in a box!
-remember that SNL episode(s)??
I know what your drumming up.
I can feel it in my hands, bam! -hit that kill note!!

Lower volumes, sorry I thought I mentioned in the main post. So I can't really push power tubes without an attenuator.

Yes I jam with Megadeth and Judas too.

What cab/speaker you guys suggest for JVM? Can V30 handle nwobhm ?
HANDS DOWN,
the best match for the JVM 410H speakers are
Redbacks, Redbacks & Redbacks..
I have multiple cabs/speakers and the Redbacks do all the modes seamlessly.
My 2nd choice would be
H75 Creambacks that are near perfect with the 410H.
3rd choice would be
V30’s mixed with T75’s=molten Maiden.

HANDS DOWN,
My 2nd choice would be
3rd choice would be

How would you compare Redbacks tonally to say V30/GBs?

HANDS DOWN,
My 2nd choice would be
3rd choice would be
I planned the go with jcm studio and I already have 2x12 Engl cab. In the future I will swap v30s with 2 creambacks, it's front loaded tho. Don't ask why I cant buy new cab, I just like how engl looks and don't want to stack different cabs with different design. Yep I have OCD.

And for my fireball I'll get a 4x12 Engl cab. But again, maybe I can put creambacks in 4x12 as X pattern. Can it be ultimate cab for Marshall and the Engl?

As for more future plan, getting second Engl 4x12 and swapping 2 v30 with t75 or greenbacks. So final result would be full stack: first cab 2x v30 2x CB second cab 2x v30 2x GB or t75.

Is it bad idea?
Can sound lost when there is too many different speakers? Should 2 cabs be exactly same?

Back