Engl Fireball 100 Crushes all others

Sub-$500 is insane. I’d be all over that. There’s Blackmore signature on Reverb for about a grand, which seems like a steal to me… but for the fact that it’s in Paris or some such. Too many opportunities for the transaction to turn into a massive cluster. I never see ENGLs in the US and I always assumed they were more costly, exotic beasts. They sure sound like it.
Basically every German Top40/softrock coverband backs ENGL. I did at some point, too. 😁

They mostly use stuff like the big 4 channel amps or older stuff like Screamers or Thunders. The combos are very common here and you get them for like... nothing.

Some recent classifieds: (first one tasty)
1000032134.jpg

1000032132.jpg

1000032130.jpg

To get back on @KyleBull 's thread: An intentions on giving a Fireball 25 a test drive? Or any other 25w ENGL? Those ones really interest me bc the would look awesome on my 1x12 V30 cab.

Last edited:
You'd get my sub just bc you don't mouthgape or point at something in the title card.

Oh My Wow GIF by tv2norge

That being said I played a FB60 once in a store for an hour. The only time my wife would tell me "hey, you actually can play guitar". So damn nice sounding. Did not buy though bc I already had a 5153 at home.

If I ever go for guitar gigs with a heavier band it will be a JVM or this.

Bonus: In Europe these FBs are dirt cheap used. Saw one for sub 500 once on classifieds.

I will literally hit the image upload limit...

2B1pnt9.png

PB1lNOt.png

7MWJqgm.png

ZPjBqtj.png

GRS3ekG.png

OTkq0ys.png

nnLGGti.png

HbLZy86.png

xH1EJyg.png

uqQhT3O.png

iReY580.png

JiN5Icl.png

One problem: There is no Fireball in Fractal land. Only the Mk I versions of the Savage and Powerball.

From what I understand, the Fireball is mostly a stripped-down, no-frills Powerball anyway. Most comparisons I've heard between the two bear this out.

Check out the isolated gain guitars of both here:

Fractal has modeled the Mk I Powerball, though. That one does sound different. In fact the 1st gen PB is pretty much the reason for the „ENGL amps sound fizzy, sterile and get lost in the mix“ stereotype.

The Lead 1 channel of the Powerball II can be dialed in to sound nearly identical to the Fireball. It‘s a little bit tighter than the FB, though. And the gain knob has a much more useable range.
It was a riff on "HEY GUYS I USED THE SAME IR AND NOW EVERYTHING SOUNDS THE EXACT SAME!" :grin

Never played the PB amp, but own the Synergy module of it. Def a little tighter than the FB, and much wider gain range, but the FB is glorious with the gain just barely opened up (Around 8:30-8:45) and slammed with a TS. (I only go past 9 if detuned really low) It does one thing, and it does it extremely well, and it will pry the shingles of the roof as well. :LOL:

Never played the PB amp, but own the Synergy module of it. Def a little tighter than the FB, and much wider gain range, but the FB is glorious with the gain just barely opened up (Around 8:30-8:45) and slammed with a TS. (I only go past 9 if detuned really low) It does one thing, and it does it extremely well, and it will pry the shingles of the roof as well. :LOL:
Now that you have a QC again you should cap that motherf'er and post it up!

Shame Engl borked the PB1 so badly. It kind of boned their reputation. If the Syn module is any indication, the PB2 is super legit. It definitely made me Engl-curious. The Engl Syn modules feel like they embrace the high mids relative to some other modern high gainers which I kind of dig.

Shame Engl borked the PB1 so badly. It kind of boned their reputation. If the Syn module is any indication, the PB2 is super legit. It definitely made me Engl-curious. The Engl Syn modules feel like they embrace the high mids relative to some other modern high gainers which I kind of dig.
funny you say this. Every time I consider building a synergy system, I look at the modules and think “Powerball? No thanks.”

Got me thinking again…

funny you say this. Every time I consider building a synergy system, I look at the modules and think “Powerball? No thanks.”

Got me thinking again…
Yeah, I almost passed on it. It is probably my fave modern high gainer of the whole set (other contenders Uber Blue Channel and 6505) and is all kinds of versatile.

Back