Electra-Dyne incoming.

So, seriously. From what I have read; the taper of the master control is idiotic. I wonder if anyone ever tried replacing it for something more gradual? Supposedly 7:30ish is like "oh" and 7:35 is "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Yes, it's honestly comical. I've never used the master higher than 9:30-10 o'clock when playing with a 4x12 and loud band. It's honestly as loud as a 100W Marshall on 6 at that point. For gigs I'm in the 8:30 range. But it sounds and feels amazing so I don't worry about, "Oh I gotta get the master higher" or anything. It does make it tricky to do quick adjustments while playing at a gig, it's so hair-trigger sensitive.

I've not read of anyone changing the taper, would be interesting to see.

Yes, it's honestly comical. I've never used the master higher than 9:30-10 o'clock when playing with a 4x12 and loud band. It's honestly as loud as a 100W Marshall on 6 at that point. For gigs I'm in the 8:30 range. But it sounds and feels amazing so I don't worry about, "Oh I gotta get the master higher" or anything. It does make it tricky to do quick adjustments while playing at a gig, it's so hair-trigger sensitive.

I've not read of anyone changing the taper, would be interesting to see.
I'm pretty much planning (from my research) to start on Blue with mids and treble up nicely with bass close to 0 and go from there. I am hoping it shows up on a day where people will be "doing other things outside the house" :bag :rofl

I'm pretty much planning (from my research) to start on Blue with mids and treble up nicely with bass close to 0 and go from there. I am hoping it shows up on a day where people will be "doing other things outside the house" :bag :rofl

When I crank the Fireball they naturally decide to go do something outside of the house on their own. :unsure:

Last edited:
As usual with Mesa, the Electra Dyne manual is very thorough and entertaining. Lots of useful info.

It can get over the top at times, though. I actually have a TGP thread about it, "My Mesa Electra Dyne manual is making me horny" ... :rofl

It was this passage that had me all worked up 😁

“This time proven circuit has been revisited, scrutinized and feel-optimized to create an even more luscious clean voice that gets further enhanced by the curvaceous magic of the Simul-Class Power section…

… More tube stages are added and circuitry flipped to create this Boogie-ized, Simul-Class rendering of a modified English amp that’s been pumped for every drop of the precious tube nectar..”

It's a Bogner Shiva. ;) I'd be shocked if that was not the template/ballpark Mesa/Randall were
shooting for when they made the ED. Right down to the choice of knobs, the deep and rich
clean channel, and the often a little too thick and dark OD channels.

Great amp. Just THICK and for me a bit too much so. Shiva was the same. Super dark (and full)
but not the best cut----and you have to get them screaming loud to get the mids to bust
through.

Keep in mind I am a JCM800 sort of guy and think 90% of guitar players these days want/crave
too much bass/lows in their .... errr.... "tone." Chug! Chug! :headbang

No doubt it is a perfect for some like @TubeStack . :beer

It's a Bogner Shiva. ;) I'd be shocked if that was not the template/ballpark Mesa/Randall were
shooting for when they made the ED. Right down to the choice of knobs, the deep and rich
clean channel, and the often a little too thick and dark OD channels.

Great amp. Just THICK and for me a bit too much so. Shiva was the same. Super dark (and full)
but not the best cut----and you have to get them screaming loud to get the mids to bust
through.

Keep in mind I am a JCM800 sort of guy and think 90% of guitar players these days want/crave
too much bass/lows in their .... errr.... "tone." Chug! Chug! :headbang

No doubt it is a perfect for some like @TubeStack . :beer

Your post reminds me that I actually bought and returned a 23" Dyne combo, before getting the head a few years later and falling in love forever :grin .

I initially found it too thick and lacking in crunch and cut, as well. What made the difference for me was V30s in a Recto 2x12 and Trad 4x12. The single C90 in the combo emphasizes the bottom end tubby-ness and doesn't help the mids/crunch much.

That being said, I actually really like it with my Lone Star 2x12 at home, which is also C90s, but having two seems to help, as well as I can dial it in better now.

Last edited:
Your post reminds me that I actually bought and returned a 23" Dyne combo, before getting the head a few years later and falling in love forever :grin .

I initially found it too thick and lacking in crunch and cut, as well. What made the difference for me was V30s in a Recto 2x12 and Trad 4x12. The single C90 in the combo emphasizes the bottom end tubby-ness and doesn't help the mids/crunch much.

That being said, I actually really like it with my Lone Star 2x12 at home, which is also C90s, but having two seems to help, as well as I can dial it in better now.

That's awesome! I was kind of imagining/reflecting on what an impact speakers could have on amps. :beer

Never thought about cabs/enclosures. Makes perfect sense, though.

Are the only/main guitarist in your band/bands?

I plan on shelving that C90 turd pretty much immediately.

andrunningV30ishIRsthroughmyF12s :bag

Haha, I don't mine the C90 in certain applications. For example, I loved it when I put one in a JCM800 1x12 combo. Had the perfect amount of extra bottom end needed as well as a notched high-mid thing that helped tame the 800 treble a bit.

And I gotta say again, I love my LS 2x12.

That's awesome! I was kind of imagining/reflecting on what an impact speakers could have on amps. :beer

Never thought about cabs/enclosures. Makes perfect sense, though.

Are the only/main guitarist in your band/bands?

Yes, tbh I didn’t like the Dyne at first, until I heard it with V30s. Forgot about that.

Yes, I’m the only guitar player. Do you play with another guitarist in your band?

As usual with Mesa, the Electra Dyne manual is very thorough and entertaining. Lots of useful info.

It can get over the top at times, though. I actually have a TGP thread about it, "My Mesa Electra Dyne manual is making me horny" ... :rofl

It was this passage that had me all worked up 😁

“This time proven circuit has been revisited, scrutinized and feel-optimized to create an even more luscious clean voice that gets further enhanced by the curvaceous magic of the Simul-Class Power section…

… More tube stages are added and circuitry flipped to create this Boogie-ized, Simul-Class rendering of a modified English amp that’s been pumped for every drop of the precious tube nectar..”
I don't know if I'm hungry, turned on, or both!

Can someone confirm where most of the tone comes from with this amp?

#banned4life
1666306808691.gif

Back