Digitech Bad Monkey Hype Train

:rofl :rofl :rofl

This is hilarious (and now in the merch store of JHS)

BEA6081A-F013-48DE-84AA-ECB12DC6EB67.jpg

@Tom Von Kramm any plans on re-issuing this thing? 😂
How cynical am I? When I first heard the BM story, I thought it was to build hype for a reissue (or reimagining). BTW, mine is going on sale for $2k.

Yesterday I ordered one from a local online shop that had it in stock, brand new, for $52. They accepted the transaction, but today they apologize that is not available and refunded the money. They've probably seen the video :rofl

My plan has failed
mr burns GIF

If you're in Europe you can try with this one, used for €34. It says it is available
Alas, there's a big red banner that says;

Screenshot 2023-03-18 122739.png

All this for a f*****g tubescreamer because some guy said something on youtube?

Well, technically he demonstrated where a Klon and a Bad Monkey can cross paths. Which tons of gear does, especially with the 1000000000 f*cking variants/clones of several pedals, highlighting the fact that buying into the hype and chasing boutique gear with the belief it’s the “missing link to mah tone” is shortsighted and largely a waste of money.

Of course the internet reacts with “Josh is manipulating the market for personal gain”, “Josh needs to be held accountable for what he’s doing, can the SEC look into this?”, “He’s his own hype man”, “This is just clever marketing”, ”I hate Josh”, “Wahhhhhh”

Well, technically he demonstrated where a Klon and a Bad Monkey can cross paths. Which tons of gear does, especially with the 1000000000 f*cking variants/clones of several pedals, highlighting the fact that buying into the hype and chasing boutique gear with the belief it’s the “missing link to mah tone” is shortsighted and largely a waste of money.

Of course the internet reacts with “Josh is manipulating the market for personal gain”, “Josh needs to be held accountable for what he’s doing, can the SEC look into this?”, “He’s his own hype man”, “This is just clever marketing”, ”I hate Josh”, “Wahhhhhh”
I would actually love it if he came out with a Bad Monkey clone. That’d be pretty funny.

A lot of pedals can definitely sound very similar when put to specific settings. But if you move away from those it might be harder to match them. So that boutique drive could still do things the Bad Monkey doesn't and vice versa.

Still a huge part of the pedal world is not really about making the best pedal but putting it in the right hands. You get e.g That Pedal Show to get exceited for something and the pedals are going to sell. Similarly to how back in the day manufacturers would try to get famous guitarists to play their pedal, amp or guitar. Now it's more like "get Josh Scott to check it out!"

I built DIY versions of the Browne Protein and Hudson Broadcast which at the time were just past their "boutique pedal darlings" phase. They are both good pedals, but the Browne is literally 90% the same thing as a Nobels ODR-1 and a BluesBreaker in one box. Like the component differences are not that big. The Hudson Broadcast is a more unique sounding pedal at least and something that none of my other pedals do.

Yet neither is some "God pedal" that "everyone" needs. They are good, but nothing you couldn't get elsewhere.

I built DIY versions of the Browne Protein and Hudson Broadcast which at the time were just past their "boutique pedal darlings" phase. They are both good pedals, but the Browne is literally 90% the same thing as a Nobels ODR-1 and a BluesBreaker in one box. Like the component differences are not that big. The Hudson Broadcast is a more unique sounding pedal at least and something that none of my other pedals do.

Yet neither is some "God pedal" that "everyone" needs. They are good, but nothing you couldn't get elsewhere.

Building clones of these things is a great way to strip away the hype, I dunno about you but I find it much harder to revere something I built, there's no mystique to it.

The Hudson's cool but I found it so gnarly that I'd rarely actually want that sound.

One that was hyped was the 1981 DRV, which is based on a rat. I love rats, built one, and it was... ok. It's basically a rat with a clean boost at the front and a more polite EQ response, I didn't like it as much.

Has anyone else yelled, "f**k, Josh Scott" in this thread yet?"

Just asking. :idk

He should start all of his YT vids with:

"I have all the pedals ten times over, and now watch me take my
bloated social media influence and drive up the prices on ALL of them
so they are unobtainium for everyone not named me. Please click like and
subscribe."

:facepalm

If anyone wanted a bad monkey, they’ve been almost free for many years. Now that they’re listed for too much, there are still plenty of TSish pedals available for next to nothing that do the same kind of thing.

I think the point of a lot of his videos like this is that readily available, cheap pedals can sound great.

D

Back