Itchy sent me some boosts \m/

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
So got a care package in the mail today from @itchyfingers . Pile of boost pedals to run through :love
VW9xneI.jpg

Tried them all up front of the VII and the BL. Mixed results for a few, especially. Some GREAT stuff in here and a few things that, in combination moreso with the VII; were not as exciting.

In order, with my thoughts. "You're doing it wrong" caveats silently implied:
1. ThorpyFX Heavy Water - Side 2 of Heavy Water fairly cranked into Mk VII is stellar. Super juicy. Robust construction and sounded great. With the BL; a hair better. More on that later.

2. PLX Bion Boost - GAB (now GGF) forum Hommie Special Edition. Super juicy as well. Based on a Naga Viper, supposedly? Approaching fuzzy but not in a gross way? Paul makes great pedals and this one is no different. Very solid construction and I love the power jack. Very solid fit. Bion was great through the VII crunch channel but had a little more of that special something through the BL.

3. Xotic RC Boost - RC Booster juiced up pretty damn good is probably the "best" for the gigging band purposes. Through both amps. Nice layer of dirty sheen without overtaking anything or really "transforming" the base tone. Very nice!

4. Lunastone Smooth Drive - Through the VII; kind of just there. Not bad but not good. Just neutral. Much better on a single setting through the BL. Not one I would grab out of a pile I don't think. Not in a bad way; just not inspiring to play.

5. Way Huge Angry Troll - Excited about this one because name and vibe and overall looks. Through the VII; the Angry Troll I wanted to like so much because of the name, the pedal color and what I thought it would do. It's ok but just kind of messy sounding (but not messy enough, all things considered?). Through the BL; it seemed quite a bit noisier but was MUCH BETTER for the task (I don't do in my working band) at hand. HUGE AF SOUNDING and would kill for the right purpose. Not for Love Shack covers though :rofl

6. Lovepedal Amp50 - Was really looking forward to this one. Mainly because of the sale thread I have been trying hard to miss each time something comes up :nails:roflUnremarkable through the VII. It's like a single control version of a Klon or something (?) without any sort of real excitement to the proceedings. I am not always good with "oh this is based on that" when it comes to dirt pedals. And some descriptors are moreso grabbag word salad for me to make a comparative judgement call so ehhh? I know when I hear something I like and go with my gut. This one has a noisy pot and a weird, gross feeling switch. Nice form factor? Through the BL; it was better but not really anything I would purposely choose. Least favorite out of the bunch.

One thing this experiment (and really all my current Boogie flippings and floppings) have taught me is I LOVE EL34s. The VII is great. The BL with the ELs, though; is my jam. Albeit a much "simpler" one. Big shout out to bro Itchy for the box of goodness :beer:beer:beer

Last edited:
If you like the RC, (Real Clean) you might like the AC (Almost Clean) also. I had all three at one point.

One addition since you've liked the RC is a Keeley Katana Boost. It's clean and has a sweetener circuit on a pot on the side that's a dial as well.

I used to run that into my Mesa's back in the day. Sweetener always in the on position.

So got a care package in the mail today from @itchyfingers . Pile of boost pedals to run through :love
VW9xneI.jpg

Tried them all up front of the VII and the BL. Mixed results for a few, especially. Some GREAT stuff in here and a few things that, in combination moreso with the VII; were not as exciting.

In order, with my thoughts. "You're doing it wrong" caveats silently implied:
1. ThorpyFX Heavy Water - Side 2 of Heavy Water fairly cranked into Mk VII is stellar. Super juicy. Robust construction and sounded great. With the BL; a hair better. More on that later.

2. PLX Bion Boost - GAB (now GGF) forum Hommie Special Edition. Super juicy as well. Based on a Naga Viper, supposedly? Approaching fuzzy but not in a gross way? Paul makes great pedals and this one is no different. Very solid construction and I love the power jack. Very solid fit. Bion was great through the VII crunch channel but had a little more of that special something through the BL.

3. Xotic RC Boost - RC Booster juiced up pretty damn good is probably the "best" for the gigging band purposes. Through both amps. Nice layer of dirty sheen without overtaking anything or really "transforming" the base tone. Very nice!

4. Lunastone Smooth Drive - Through the VII; kind of just there. Not bad but not good. Just neutral. Much better on a single setting through the BL. Not one I would grab out of a pile I don't think. Not in a bad way; just not inspiring to play.

5. Way Huge Angry Troll - Excited about this one because name and vibe and overall looks. Through the VII; the Angry Troll I wanted to like so much because of the name, the pedal color and what I thought it would do. It's ok but just kind of messy sounding (but not messy enough, all things considered?). Through the BL; it seemed quite a bit noisier but was MUCH BETTER for the task (I don't do in my working band) at hand. HUGE AF SOUNDING and would kill for the right purpose. Not for Love Shack covers though :rofl

6. Lovepedal Amp50 - Was really looking forward to this one. Mainly because of the sale thread I have been trying hard to miss each time something comes up :nails:roflUnremarkable through the VII. It's like a single control version of a Klon or something (?) without any sort of real excitement to the proceedings. I am not always good with "oh this is based on that" when it comes to dirt pedals. And some descriptors are moreso grabbag word salad for me to make a comparative judgement call so ehhh? I know when I hear something I like and go with my gut. This one has a noisy pot and a weird, gross feeling switch. Nice form factor? Through the BL; it was better but not really anything I would purposely choose. Least favorite out of the bunch.

One thing this experiment (and really all my current Boogie flippings and floppings) have taught me is I LOVE EL34s. The VII is great. The BL with the ELs, though; is my jam. Albeit a much "simpler" one. Big shout out to bro Itchy for the box of goodness :beer:beer:beer

Not to derail on a detail, but can’t the VII run el34s?

I remember my Mark IV could use 6L6, el34, or 6v6.

I love el34s too

Not to derail on a detail, but can’t the VII run el34s?

I remember my Mark IV could use 6L6, el34, or 6v6.

I love el34s too
God forbid a derail happen in one of my threads!

The VII can run EL34s. "Everyone" says 6l6s are the way to go for Marks though. Trying to get tubes from Mesa is still almost impossible last I heard? Not sure if that's a rabbit hole I want to go down either?

The VII can run EL34s. "Everyone" says 6l6s are the way to go for Marks though. Trying to get tubes from Mesa is still almost impossible last I heard? Not sure if that's a rabbit hole I want to go down either?

Point me to these "everyones" so I can kick their ass for saying such thing :hmm

I'd say of all the rabbit holes you go down, trying EL34s in your VII would be a good one :rofl

you can always just tell your preferred tube dealer that whatever alternative brand is going in a mesa, if they're good they'll have you taken care of

That was an awesome thing of Itchy to do! I'm sorta not surprised about the Amp50 - i know I brought it up in the other thread. It definitely shines more with a cleaner base tone imo. The noisy pot is that way because it's changing the bias as you move it, but then it goes away once set.

Eh, everyone said the same when I had a IV but I still liked el34s better in that amp.

If you like el34s it’s worth trying, it’s a simple inexpensive thing to try.

Not saying it’s like a OMG YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS!! thing, but it’s worth keeping in mind

That was an awesome thing of Itchy to do! I'm sorta not surprised about the Amp50 - i know I brought it up in the other thread. It definitely shines more with a cleaner base tone imo. The noisy pot is that way because it's changing the bias as you move it, but then it goes away once set.
I am betting you are right on that Amp 50? The footswitch they use is not my bag at all. Soft, can't tell if you actually activated anything if you didn't have an led kind of thing.

Point me to these "everyones" so I can kick their ass for saying such thing :hmm

I'd say of all the rabbit holes you go down, trying EL34s in your VII would be a good one :rofl

you can always just tell your preferred tube dealer that whatever alternative brand is going in a mesa, if they're good they'll have you taken care of

Eh, everyone said the same when I had a IV but I still liked el34s better in that amp.

If you like el34s it’s worth trying, it’s a simple inexpensive thing to try.

Not saying it’s like a OMG YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS!! thing, but it’s worth keeping in mind
The one thing about tube rolling in the VII is it is packed in TIGHT. You have to pretty much remove the amp from the headshell to do anything. I would be pulling that reverb tank out as well :bag I wonder if it will run on 2 tubes at a reduced wattage? I could try out the el34s in the BL in the VII. I think I had this thought process already (5 times) but always stop short because I am too lazy to dismantle the amp :rofl

Back