Digitech poised to make big moves

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I normally loathe Guitar World articles but anything that gives @Tom Von Kramm and crew positive press is fine with me. I will say this right here and now... If they release a new flagship with an expression pedal and poly pitch capabilities, I will have one shipping to me on day 1 of availability to the US. Honestly wont even pay attention to the price. My RP1000 served me well for years, but when the Helix was released it was just hands down better for what I needed. An RP1000 type unit with up to date algo's and IR loading would almost certainly force me to change my main rig to DigiTech.

DigiTech in general has been one of the few brands I have trusted for decades.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of Digitech, still have a Whammy V and Freqout. That said...I don't think it would be in their best interest to try and compete with a flagship modeling/mfx immediately. IMHO, they need to re-establish themselves in the market as innovators and their best move would be digging into their history to do some re-issues or updated versions of earlier pedals which were successful and/or achieved cult status.

For example, if Boss can sell the SDE-3000EVH at any substantial volume a Digitech pedal adding some specific PDS delay types with the stuff on TimeBender and maybe Jam Man style looping could be a huge hit at the $500-ish price point. An upgraded Synth Wah/Space Station with polyphonic capabilities I think would be a niche hit as well.

I was a big fan of Digitech, still have a Whammy V and Freqout. That said...I don't think it would be in their best interest to tray and compete in a flagship modeling/mfx immediately. IMHO, they need to re-establish themselves in the market as innovators and their best move would be digging into their history to do some re-issues or updated versions of earlier pedals which were successful and/ore achieved cult status.

For example, if Boss can sell the SDE-3000EVH at any substantial volume a Digitech pedal adding some specific PDS delay types with the stuff on TimeBender and maybe Jam Man style looping could be a huge hit at the $500-ish price point. An upgraded Synth Wah/Space Station with polyphonic capabilities I think would be a niche hit as well.

Well some of my post was rhetorical. I do believe I asked Tom directly if they'd be releasing a flagship and he said yes BUT my memories do suck quite often. I asked him here at TGF. I'd have to go find it.

Well some of my post was rhetorical. I do believe I asked Tom directly if they'd be releasing a flagship and he said yes BUT my memories do suck quite often. I asked him here at TGF. I'd have to go find it.

What I'm getting at is establishing themselves as a new company while embracing their past is a quick way to create buzz in a semi unique space offering products which kinda exist in their own niche. Once they have 3 or 4 desirable standalones, that's when it makes the most sense to look at throwing them into a box together along with all the other bells and whistles. Otherwise they are going to be playing catchup without offering much to differentiate themselves from the leaders in the space.

i used their rp1000 a lot back in the day. it was a great piece of gear.

very excited to see what they are cooking up.

My Soundcraft mixer has most of an RP1000 built in to it. Unfortunately no way to switch patches or turn on stomps but I used it a couple times for guest players and such and it still sounds pretty good. TOANZ start around 3:15

Back