Boss GM-800 and GK-5

You'd have to do something like the Rockboard Quad, and that's before adding any expression pedals (which I actually never use a ton).

View attachment 19171
I'd put the GM-800 top right, mount the GKC-DA under the board, and position 1 or 2 mini expression pedals at bottom right. (It would still be too big for me, personally, though.)

Portability is a major concern when I move my pedalboard from one corner of my basement to the other. :bag

That's a really good idea, thanks. I'll be lugging whatever synth setup I end up settling on, as well as the FM9T setup, as well as two Laney LFRs. So smaller is better.
steve martin film GIF

Also;
Turning Natalie Portman GIF by foxhorror

And also not a Roland fanboy,
Well I certainly was. I found myself defending them at V on the SY1000 faults because I wasn't having as many problems with some of the bugs as others were like the alt tuning worbles.
I wasn't getting them when using the Wilcox optical hex pup which is my main guitar.

But the P2M isn't any better and perhaps worse, than the GR50 and the osc synth (which obviously is PCM based) is still crap.

Not sure I can support a company that won't fix their bugs in their recent products and apparently fixed them in the current product.

This post at V sums it up well.

"Im not trying to piss on anyone's parade, but I've heard the claims of "improved tracking" "Faster conversion" before from roland. Now, I simply don't trust their claims in this capacity unfortunately."

BTW, I am surprised to see JT going from Roland's number 1 critic to their number 1 fanboy.

Just kidding JT.

It's the note glitches, shadow notes and octave jumps when playing the guitar using normal playing technique that is the concern.

Sorry but I don't get that kind of stuff in the gm-800. It's nothing like the dreaded gr-55 and others that used to do bleeps and bloops. If people are still getting it, then they don't wtf they are doing when setting it up.

Sorry but I don't get that kind of stuff in the gm-800. It's nothing like the dreaded gr-55 and others that used to do bleeps and bloops. If people are still getting it, then they don't wtf they are doing when setting it up.
No need to be sorry. Some folks don't get those glitches with the GR55 internal sounds either and they are rare with the GR50 internal sounds using the Wilcox Atlantis hex fx guitar, but still there on low E and A strings when my technique is not flawless.

That midi guitar experience of course is not the same as just using a fuzz tone through a filter where a botched hammer on still works fine.

So be honest, you never get a glitch with the GM800 or when using it's P2M to an external synth module?

Since we like quoting things from the V forum, I'll give another positive one for once :p lol

"I sold my gr55 and bought the gm800 though sounds and tones are impressive"

So be honest, you never get a glitch with the GM800 or when using it's P2M to an external synth module?

Nope not now. When I first got the gm-800 in august or whenever, i had a gk-2a pickup and gk cable and tried it and at that time it did some weird stuck notes and bleeps etc.. But i was using a unbranded 13-pin cable so i switched over to a roland 13 pin cable and that issue went away. However i then switched to the new gk-5 pickup and braided cable and gkc converter box and have no bleeps or bloops or anything like that now.

As for P2M, I do not know, I haven't tried using it for that into computer and i don't have any hardware synths left anymore. However i did do that with sy-1000 (i've owned sy-1000 i think 4 times now since it came out lol) which im still using today along with gm-800 and I never got bleeps or bloops from it and i felt it was fine.

Another happy customer on VG forum!

"
Hi everyone, first time poster, long time user. I thought I'd share my experience with the GM-800 and Zenology after getting one in late summer/fall of 2023. For context I play guitar and pedal steel guitar about 30 gigs a year in a cover band (Country, Pop, Rock) for the past 11 years. I've been using the GR-55 since about 2016 and have enjoyed it. When I heard about the GM-800 though I was excited... the GR-55 no doubt was due for some improvements (I'm used to Fractal Audio's Axe Fx pace of firmware improvements
;)
).

GM-800 Pros:
- 4 Parts (plus rhythm part) is an awesome improvement.
- ZenCore Engine/Zenology Pro
- Improved sounds and tracking (less glitching, low velocity cut actually works)
- Latency feels either the same or better I think even for everything IMO
- Smaller unit dimensions/weight
- GM-800 effects have improved a lot from the GR-55

GM-800 Cons:
- Lack of guitar modelling like the GR-55 had
- Boss Tone Studio editor not as powerful for sound editing as Zenology Pro
- Boss Tone Studio is a memory hog compared to other far more powerful applications on the computer.
- Can't control part hold with momentary or latching Midi CC messages when GK-In is source
- Having to use Zenology to program arpeggiated sounds with the 16-step LFO sequencer attached to pitch envelope

Zenology Pro - I wish that the GM-800 had the same powerful editing capability that Zenology has. I would like to be able to edit the partials in each of the 4 parts just like we can in Zenology. I have quite enjoyed using Zenology over the past few months but it is an extra step to have to export your sound onto a memory stick and load it into the GM-800. I have been able to recreate all my favorites synth sounds so far with the Zenology and that makes me a happy customer. I tried the Ultimate package on Roland Cloud for a few months before dropping to the Pro package here this month and probably will buy a lifetime key for Zenology Pro at some point here in the next few months. For me Zenology has actually become a gateway drug into wanting to get an actual physical synthesizer now haha. I have always loved tweaking and creating/recreating sounds.

The GM-800 without Zenology is still a big improvement on the GR-55 for creating sounds. 4 parts instead of two really opens up a lot of doors and you can create some really fat stacked sounds. I wish the tone sculpting capabilities were comparable to Zenology, but there are a pile of tones in the box and room to add even more of your favorites. I've added 4/4 expansion packs your able to at this time, and more would be great too if they allow in future firmware updates. To my ears many of the tones sound wider, fuller, and more complex than the GR-55. I find the GM-800 sounds allow you dynamic control over the tone and volume that the GR-55 wouldn't do without risking glitching and squeeling so I was always turning the dynamics off in the GR-55. I'm still using the GK-13 pickup too.

In my opinion the GM-800 dynamics, tones, and latency have really improved on the sampled instrument tones like pianos, violin (especially - can pretty well pull off Callin' Baton Rouge even), harmonica, all orchestra/band instruments, accordians etc. The synth tones also sound and feel/respond amazing without noticeable latency. The lack of guitar modelling though has forced me to keep the GR-55 in my rig for the time being and get a US-20 GK-13 splitter so I can access the modelled acoustic and electric sounds along with alternate tunings I use for Open-G Dobro and Electric songs I play with a slide.

My signal path is Guitar (with a 1/4" cable and 13 pin [Best-Tronics BTPA] cable loomed together) - 1/4" into Axe-Fx III, and the GM-800 and GR-55 and Pedal Steel in the 3 FX Loops of the Axe Fx III. I use a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth wireless MIDI adaptor to let OnSong (charting/setlist app) on my Ipad change patches on the Axe-FX and then I use a scene midi block in the Axe-FX to send PC and CC messages to the GM-800 & GR-55. For those curious about the MIDI, I attach two HOSA female to female midi couplers to the Yamaha MD-BT01 and then attach midi cables to the couplers (this allows me to plug the MD-BTO1 into AxeFX Midi In and then run another cable from the MD-BTO1 midi out into the GM-800 or GR-55 midi out port for powering the bluetooth adapter). This setup keeps the AxeFx Midi out port free to run a cable into a Midi Solutions Quadra-Thru box which connects to the GM-800 & GR-55 Midi In ports. So when I change patches or scenes on the Axe-Fx (either manually or via bluetooth from On-Song) the GM/GR also immediately change. The other guitar player in my band has an identical setup and for a 5 piece band we can cover like almost any song
:D
- Truly a great time to be a guitar player these days. The GM-800 with the Axe-FX reverbs, delays, and mod effects sounds amazing, but the GM-800's effects have also really improved and I actually use them now instead of just automatically setting up effects in the AxeFX like I did to improve the GR-55's sounds always."

Here is what Chatpdt says, so even AI knows it glitches. Lol

"ChatGPT
While the Boss GM800's note tracking is usually quite accurate, it's possible for notes to glitch occasionally, especially if there are rapid or complex passages being played, or if there are issues with the setup or calibration of the device. However, these glitches are generally rare and shouldn't detract significantly from the overall performance of the unit."

Like A.I. has played a GM-800 :idk

Here is my question to Gemini (Googles latest A.I.)

Is the Boss GM-800 any good at tracking notes​

gemini_sparkle_v002_d4735304ff6292a690345.svg

Yes, the Boss GM-800 is generally considered to be very good at tracking notes. Here's why:
  • Advanced Pitch Detection: The GM-800 boasts a high-speed processor dedicated solely to tracking, allowing for accurate and stable conversion of your guitar playing into MIDI data.expand_more
  • Multiple Parameters: It offers various velocity and feel parameters that you can adjust to optimize the response for different sounds and playing styles.
  • This ensures the synth accurately translates the nuances of your playing.
However, for optimal tracking, some users recommend checking a few things:
  • Pickup Installation: Ensure your guitar's pickup is properly installed for a clear signal to the GM-800.
  • Settings: Experiment with the GM-800's settings to find the perfect balance for your playing and desired sounds.
For further insights, you can check online forums like VGuitar Forums: [invalid URL removed] where guitarists discuss their experiences with the GM-800, including tips for getting the best tracking performance.

Like A.I. has played a GM-800
Of course not. Chatpdt makes a lot of assumptions about a lot of things like if it's new, it must be better. Hmmm...sounds familiar.

"ChatGPT
You're correct that I don't have access to an external database or real-time information. My responses are generated based on patterns in the data I was trained on, which includes a vast amount of text from diverse sources. While I strive to provide accurate and helpful responses, there are limitations to my knowledge and understanding. If you have specific questions or need information, I'm here to assist to the best of my ability."

ChatGPT 3.5

You
Why do Roland Fanboys defend the new gear they purchase by putting others down

ChatGPT
It's possible that some Roland enthusiasts may feel a strong sense of loyalty to the brand and its products, leading them to defend their purchases by disparaging alternatives. This behavior could stem from a desire to justify their investment or to reinforce their own preferences. However, it's important to remember that personal preferences vary, and what works well for one person may not necessarily be the best option for someone else. Respect for differing opinions and experiences is key in any discussion about gear or technology.

Now AI is the troll. See what happens when you feed it.
Here is AI reply to your post. Lol

Chatpdt

"It seems like the reply is dismissing my response as trolling or provocation. This kind of reaction is not uncommon in online forums where discussions can sometimes become heated. It's important to engage in constructive dialogue and focus on the substance of the discussion rather than resorting to personal attacks or dismissive remarks."

Me
I think perhaps he was making a lighthearted comment. Without further context or knowing the person involved it maybe hard to derive meaning. Also I think AI is subject to jokes, perhaps out of fear of this new technology.

ChatGPT
That's a fair interpretation. Without additional context or knowing the tone of the conversation, it can be challenging to fully understand the intent behind a comment. And yes, AI is certainly subject to jokes and humor, sometimes stemming from curiosity or uncertainty about new technologies. It's important to approach discussions with an open mind and a willingness to engage respectfully, even when humor is involved.

Back