Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Double velcro'd my WEX (Wireless Expression) system on top of my gk-5 base. Got the other end into my sy-1000 right now (may put it in gm-800 later). Now I can assign it to do whatever I want like a normal expression pedal.​

368508937_839103574506309_4838420145318504498_n.jpg

369356587_623950652921541_6472161368765776977_n.jpg

ME.jpg

Last edited:
Working on putting this even more epic guitar synth rig together now. Still waiting on order a couple TRS splitter cables and a MIDI thru splitter box. Features the US-20 mounted on top of the GKC-AD, LVX and Mood MKII in the Key Largo FX loop, and GM-800 thumb drive output converted to a SD card mounted on the side for easier access. Full rig rundown coming soon.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Pickup install instructions suck. The provided spacer/shims are either too low (well beneath 1mm) or too high. I’m assuming you use double sided tape to lock in the spacer in on the guitar, then double sided tape to mount the pickup to spacer. Wondering if closer to 2mm is fine.

Get it best as you can and then compensate by turning things up or down inside the unit when it comes to the string level section.

Installed it. It’s about 2mm at the low e and 1mm at the high e. Found in the manual where you can go compensate output.

Looking forward to firing it up tomorrow.

Made it through the first 30 presets.

Sound quality is very good. Sharp and crisp. I dug the Jazz Trio, Trance, and acoustic piano presets.

The volume is way too low, had to crank my monitors pretty high as well as the volume on the unit. I def need to dial in the output on the pickup, and turn up the output on the lower strings. The high strings trigger easily, the lower strings need a little firmer picking to register. Makes sense because the pickup sits about 1mm lower on the low strings than the high strings. There def will be a learning curve on how to play each preset to make them sound the most natural to instrument in question. On a couple I found finger picking made it sound less guitar’y and more natural.

Promising so far.

Made it through the first 30 presets.

Sound quality is very good. Sharp and crisp. I dug the Jazz Trio, Trance, and acoustic piano presets.

The volume is way too low, had to crank my monitors pretty high as well as the volume on the unit. I def need to dial in the output on the pickup, and turn up the output on the lower strings. The high strings trigger easily, the lower strings need a little firmer picking to register. Makes sense because the pickup sits about 1mm lower on the low strings than the high strings. There def will be a learning curve on how to play each preset to make them sound the most natural to instrument in question. On a couple I found finger picking made it sound less guitar’y and more natural.

Promising so far.

Each part 1 through 4 has a volume that goes from 1 to 127, also if you hit menu and scene edit and master, there's a master volume for the whole scene that can be turned up from 100 to 127, also there is another parameter in there somewhere I forget right now called "pedal pos". I'm assuming pedal position, and some were pretty low and once brought up was louder. So yeah there's a few ways to make things louder when saving scenes.

My GM-800 arrives Thursday. No firm date on the GK-5, so I'm going to try using it with Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar through my iPad. I'm thinking it should work with the iPad connected to my Helix and the Helix Out/Thru connected to the GM-800.

My GM-800 arrives Thursday. No firm date on the GK-5, so I'm going to try using it with Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar through my iPad. I'm thinking it should work with the iPad connected to my Helix and the Helix Out/Thru connected to the GM-800.
Finally giving JO the boot!

Back