Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Hmmm....On the GK-5 page, Boss says this.....

I've bolded the interesting part; at the risk of reading too much into it, it sure sounds like the raw audio for each string might also be present in the data coming off the GK-5.... Now I'm wondering just where the guitar-to-midi is happening; is it in the GK-5, or the GM-800?
Gm-800 is doing the pitch to MIDI. All the GK-5 is sending is 6 tracks of digital audio.

The difference, at least to me, when we say "guitar modeling" is that after all the electronic magic, the signal coming off your regular guitar 1/4" cable is transposed and transmogrified into whatever guitar you're pretending to play. I.e., Variax. So you'd have something like GK to this guitar modeling box, with a line out into your favorite Fractal Axe-Fx device.

Now that I think about it, I'm guessing that sort of box might require a new GK pickup, because maybe the GK-5 is ?only guitar-to-midi. Unless it's also carrying the raw analog signals the way the 13-pin stuff seems to have worked.... That sounds like an awesome thing for someone to delve into; just how many of those 32 channels is the GK-5 using?!
A guitar modeling box is totally doable with the gk5. The very first thing all of the existing GK modeling devices do is convert the analog audio to digital.

Kraft music off Reverb from Wisconsin. We'll see how the week progresses? We are gone all weekend gigging so it is on a time crunch :nails :rofl

Did yours ship?

SW still on preorder status.

Sad Spongebob Squarepants GIF by Bombay Softwares

Kraft music off Reverb from Wisconsin. We'll see how the week progresses? We are gone all weekend gigging so it is on a time crunch :nails :rofl

Eh man I buy all sorts of stuff. If I return it; I return it. But the GR33 that's been sitting here since 2014(?) and the GR55 I've been using (and bitching about the size on) since, oh 2015-2016(?) (as well as the SY1000 from pre COVID) would be some indicator of it's longevity? Who knows. The VII is the one that gets the most back and forth of will I or won't I atm :bag

he said; in his best Gasp voice.
Strange. according to Kraft Music’s website it still shows as “Preorder” I’m hearing some places in the US should receive by the middle of August. Oddly, some are getting the GM-800 in before the GK-5 pickup or adapter boxes. It will be useless without it.

Strange. according to Kraft Music’s website it still shows as “Preorder” I’m hearing some places in the US should receive by the middle of August. Oddly, some are getting the GM-800 in before the GK-5 pickup or adapter boxes. It will be useless without it.

Not totally useless. If they have a midi controller or keyboard, they can control the gm-800 with it until pickup and stuff comes :p

I ordered the bundle, so hopefully if the main unit gets there in advance they’ll ship it instead of waiting around for the pickup or cable etc.

Man, I’m looking forward to working with the GM-800. I’ve played Roland keyboards, and I’m a fan of the tones, especially the Jupiter 8 and Juno 106. To have these sounds as warm pads creeping in behind your guitar chords is going to be incredible. For those chordal pad patches, I see you can pan each guitar string differently, this will sound huge with orchestra instruments. And for the given scene to have 4 patches all assigned to different tones and pan assignments played together should be incredible.

I’m really hearing for the US, many stores won’t ship out customers until mid September. I believe this is the case for GC, I’m not sure about SW.

Some people in the U.S already got it and many stores in the U.S. like perfect circuit, CME got them in etc..
My local shop got tracking last week and should be here any moment.

I just checked Long & McQuade’s website for Canadian pricing and apparently my local store already has stock. I may have to check it out when I fret back from my trip.

Edit

But it doesn’t look like they’ve got the cables, pickups or converter boxes in stock. Stupid.

Ugh the wait sucks, still nothing from my shop yet :\ He said it's on freight truck and that's been since last friday... How long does it take geez.

Ok, sorry if it has been mentioned already, but this thing is MIDI only, right? So, synthesis is *not* using the guitar strings as a signal but converting them to MIDI only, yes/no? No VG/SY type of synthesis at all, yes/no?
If so, then this thing is not suitable to be played like you would play a guitar as many techniques aren't possible via guitar-to-MIDI conversion. Too bad, as that was what always dragged me towards getting an SY.
Don't need all those guitar-to-MIDI related no-nos ever again (unless I'm recording MIDI parts at home, but that's something entirely irrelevant).

Off topic, but what do you guys use for electronic drum type beats? I have plenty of plugins for acoustic drum sims, but I was thinking the other day that a lot of the tones from this box would pair really well with more e-kit sounding beats than traditional acoustic drums. Are their any plugs that specialize in this, or does the Roland Zen Pro software do this too?

Back