Boss GM-800 and GK-5

I think you can on gm-800?

"You can even assign Tones to specific fret ranges, a powerful new feature made possible with the GM-800’s advanced pitch detection."
Yep, same section on p.4 of the Parameter guide; the Position Limit lets you set the lower and upper frets to which the sound applies. Seems to be on a per string basis.

The difference, at least to me, when we say "guitar modeling" is that after all the electronic magic, the signal coming off your regular guitar 1/4" cable is transposed and transmogrified into whatever guitar you're pretending to play. I.e., Variax. So you'd have something like GK to this guitar modeling box, with a line out into your favorite Fractal Axe-Fx device.

Now that I think about it, I'm guessing that sort of box might require a new GK pickup, because maybe the GK-5 is ?only guitar-to-midi. Unless it's also carrying the raw analog signals the way the 13-pin stuff seems to have worked.... That sounds like an awesome thing for someone to delve into; just how many of those 32 channels is the GK-5 using?!

Hmmm....On the GK-5 page, Boss says this.....

I've bolded the interesting part; at the risk of reading too much into it, it sure sounds like the raw audio for each string might also be present in the data coming off the GK-5.... Now I'm wondering just where the guitar-to-midi is happening; is it in the GK-5, or the GM-800?
The GK-5 is going to be sending six I2S digital audio streams over A2B. The processing’s going to be happening in the floor units, not in the dinky dongle.

The GK-5 is going to be sending six I2S digital audio streams over A2B. The processing’s going to be happening in the floor units, not in the dinky dongle.
Can the 6 strings digital be forwarded out GM800 serial out and converted to analog audio that is still viable in realm of Boss guitar modeling and amp modeling like what is done in the SY1000? It could be the results of its initial conversion to digital precludes any further use as a ‘regular pickup’ output

The fact that NONE of the items (GM, converter OR GK5) come with the required cable is absolutely on point with Roland/Boss. I'm tihs close to pulling the trigger but the math between pedalboard real estate, GK5 or converter and GK3s with the need to grab yet another cable on top of that is really making me twitch
:nails

Can the 6 strings digital be forwarded out GM800 serial out and converted to analog audio that is still viable in realm of Boss guitar modeling and amp modeling like what is done in the SY1000? It could be the results of its initial conversion to digital precludes any further use as a ‘regular pickup’ output
For future products, they wouldn’t have to convert it to analog audio to do guitar modeling. Digital audio would go out from GM800 GK Out into whatever nextgen guitar modeling box’s GK In then to its internal DSP to be processed digitally.

If you want to make use of current guitar modeling tech and need to convert new GK TRS digital signal to analog audio, they have the GKC-DA box for that.

Last edited:
The fact that NONE of the items (GM, converter OR GK5) come with the required cable is absolutely on point with Roland/Boss. I'm tihs close to pulling the trigger but the math between pedalboard real estate, GK5 or converter and GK3s with the need to grab yet another cable on top of that is really making me twitch

DO ITTT

Not offering short patch 13pin and Digital cable even more stupid than the need for these in the first place. GM-800 should have a 13pin input and throughput.

Star Trek Kirk GIF

Boss should really release the "owners manual" for the gm-800 already since it's out in the wild now...

Good on you, JT. :beer

We are supposed to learn from our history ..... not repeat it in ever more convoluted ways!! :LOL:

Resistance is futile. Bought a bundle with cable and GK5. Should be shipping out tomorrow :nails :love

Ooooppppssss....... sorry for giving you too much credit above. :hmm

Should have bought a Camper instead! :sofa

Over/under on the Return is standing at 11 days currently. :crazy

(Hope you dig it, and it fits your long-term needs. I know.... long shot, right?)

Last edited:
Where did you order yours? I’m preordered at SW where it’s not showing in stock yet.
Kraft music off Reverb from Wisconsin. We'll see how the week progresses? We are gone all weekend gigging so it is on a time crunch :nails :rofl
Ooooppppssss....... sorry for giving you too much credit above. :hmm

Should have bought a Camper instead! :sofa

Over/under on the Return is standing at 11 days currently. :crazy

(Hope you dig it, and it fits your long-term needs. I know.... long shot, right?)
Eh man I buy all sorts of stuff. If I return it; I return it. But the GR33 that's been sitting here since 2014(?) and the GR55 I've been using (and bitching about the size on) since, oh 2015-2016(?) (as well as the SY1000 from pre COVID) would be some indicator of it's longevity? Who knows. The VII is the one that gets the most back and forth of will I or won't I atm :bag

he said; in his best Gasp voice.

Last edited:
Resistance is futile. Bought a bundle with cable and GK5. Should be shipping out tomorrow :nails :love
But but but how are you going to link it to your SY-1000 and other 13-pin gear?
Nasim Pedrad Reaction GIF
university memory GIF

That's the point! Since I already have two guitars with GK-3, one with Ghost Piezos and 13-pin output, a SY-1000, a VG-99, and a 13-pin split box with 6 separate-string analog outputs, I think that the most practical way is to not to buy the GK-5 and keep the 13-pin paraphernalia.

1 - GM-800
1 - GKC-DA 13-pin to BGK conveter
1 - Boss BGK-15 Serial GK cable? Damn!! Do I still need to buy that puto cable, or can I DIY a stereo cable with a couple of 6.3 mm stereo jacks? And it is 4,5 meters long! I only need few centimeters.
1690791625960.png

Or buy the GM-800+GK5 and a GK-5 to 13-pin box, and replace the GK-3 with the GK-5 at all guitars in the future?
Confused Little Girl GIF

Last edited:
Back