Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Roland has dedicated free editors for the Jupiter X, Juno X, and TR-8s. I hope they do the same for GM-800 since you can't do any real synth programing on the unit itself without a subscription. That's kinda lame. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't own the Fantom already to use as a programmer. We'll see but I've been screaming for the same type of editor for the AE-30 wind synth for a long time now. Nobody is listening apparently.

Roland has dedicated free editors for the Jupiter X, Juno X, and TR-8s. I hope they do the same for GM-800 since you can't do any real synth programing on the unit itself without a subscription. That's kinda lame. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't own the Fantom already to use as a programmer. We'll see but I've been screaming for the same type of editor for the AE-30 wind synth for a long time now. Nobody is listening apparently.
@gumtown doing Roland's job for them again?

Let me know when you need me to toss you a self-preservation, "save me from myself" life raft, JT.

drowning help me GIF

Oh wow I just talked to perfect circuit and they have the boss gm-800 if anyone is looking for one in the U.S. So there's hope mine will show up sometime soon from my dealer!

"
Hi Brock,

We just received this shipment today, so these are in stock at this moment!

Cheers,
Lisa"

Drum City GuitarLand music store in Colorado also said they had 1 arrive today to them!
Australia is seeing GM-800 shipments too.

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday so I'll try get a video with some first impressions and sounds up over the next few days. There's understandably A LOT to get into, but I've been digging the Juno style sounds for lush 80's pads . New GK is good and it can be reverse mounted if needed, editor is pretty easy to use and a lot snappier than the GT1000/Katana editors.

The effects selection is wild - there's Dimension D and Space D, Multitap Delays a'la GP100, SRV and integra reverbs as well as loads of lo-fi synth style effects. In other words, classic Roland stuff that should be in the GT series but isn't :p

New guitar synth rig is starting to come together. My US-20 switcher came in yesterday. I ordered some 3 foot Primova Sound 13 pin patch cables and 3 foot 110 AES/EBU 1/4' cable from BTPA. This to connect the GK-3 to/from the GKC-AD, GM-800, and SY-1000. Hopefully, I'll have everything ready for when the GM-800 arrives.

Mine arrived yesterday so I'll try get a video with some first impressions and sounds up over the next few days. There's understandably A LOT to get into, but I've been digging the Juno style sounds for lush 80's pads . New GK is good and it can be reverse mounted if needed, editor is pretty easy to use and a lot snappier than the GT1000/Katana editors.

The effects selection is wild - there's Dimension D and Space D, Multitap Delays a'la GP100, SRV and integra reverbs as well as loads of lo-fi synth style effects. In other words, classic Roland stuff that should be in the GT series but isn't :p

Awesome, where you from?

I wish you guys would shut up. I haven't owned a guitar synth since I bought a GR-50 in 1989 or so, and I swore I'd never buy another one. I'm actually watching this one pretty closely.

One thing I'm wondering is about the ZEN-Core engine. I've got a subscription to the Roland Cloud, and the Zenology soft synth is very good IMO. One thing the Zenology soft synth can do is host (if that's the right work) what they call Model Expansions, such as a Jupiter 8, JX-8P, etc. These are different(?) from the stand alone Roland soft synths that are run as stand alone VSTs and AIRA Plug-Outs.

This is from the Roland website:

Model Expansions transform ZENOLOGY and compatible ZEN-Core hardware into entirely different instruments with their own sonic personalities, features, and preset tones. From rare and sought-after classics to the designs of tomorrow, Model Expansions give you unprecedented access to the historic and ever-evolving world of Roland synthesizers.

Model Expansions are available exclusively through Roland Cloud Manager for:

ZENOLOGY and ZENOLOGY Pro
JUPITER-X and JUPITER-Xm
FANTOM and FANTOM-0
JUNO-X

So my question is whether the GM-800 will be able to host these.

Last edited:

Let’s go!!

I wish you guys would shut up. I haven't owned a guitar synth since I bought a GR-50 in 1989 or so, and I swore I'd never buy another one. I'm actually watching this one pretty closely.

One thing I'm wondering is about the ZEN-Core engine. I've got a subscription to the Roland Cloud, and the Zenology soft synth is very good IMO. One thing the Zenology soft synth can do is host (if that's the right work) what they call Model Expansions, such as a Jupiter 8, JX-8P, etc. These are different(?) from the stand alone Roland soft synths that are run as stand alone VSTs and AIRA Plug-Outs.

This is from the Roland website:

Model Expansions transform ZENOLOGY and compatible ZEN-Core hardware into entirely different instruments with their own sonic personalities, features, and preset tones. From rare and sought-after classics to the designs of tomorrow, Model Expansions give you unprecedented access to the historic and ever-evolving world of Roland synthesizers.

Model Expansions are available exclusively through Roland Cloud Manager for:

ZENOLOGY and ZENOLOGY Pro
JUPITER-X and JUPITER-Xm
FANTOM and FANTOM-0
JUNO-X

So my question is whether the GM-800 will be able to host these.
Judging by what Roland has done in the past, the model expansions will likely be available in the future with a fw update. Right now, it's strictly ZenCore.

Roland has 3 videos up on installing the new gk-5 pickup on strat, les paul and bass guitars.

This is going straight on my RG, I have a hard time putting a flute generator on my LP. :ROFLMAO:

Having watched that I’m assuming as long as it’s 1mm from the strings, where it’s positioned horizontally doesn’t matter? Just as close to the tail as possible?

This is going straight on my RG, I have a hard time putting a flute generator on my LP. :ROFLMAO:

Having watched that I’m assuming as long as it’s 1mm from the strings, where it’s positioned horizontally doesn’t matter? Just as close to the tail as possible?

I have used guitar synths off and on for years and the pickups and have never went with "specs". I just get it as close as possible, then roll off the units sensor for each string is and do it that way.

Back