Boss GM-800 and GK-5

I wish they’d ship this before I come to my senses.
You read my mind.

I'm sitting here wondering why I'm not all that excited. Starting to have vague doubts about it. Is the MIDI really an improvement over what we have now? Is the GM-800 really the synth module I'd buy to meet my non-guitar needs? Overall, is this thing really worth the sizable chunk of change?

For now, I'm sticking with my pre-order.....

So this is my understanding...

Guitar with gk-5 pickup into gm-800 and out from gm-800 into gkc-da converter box > and 13-pin out to sy-1000 (or some other 13 pin unit). However you will lose volume / s1 and s2 switching etc.. since those don't exist on the new gk-5

But there's no way to hook 2 units up like you can above for those that are using 13-pin pickups on their guitars unless you had a us-20 or something of the sort, right?

They really missed the mark by not putting a 13-pin out on the gkc-ad converter box, so that people could link 2 together that use the 13-pin pickups.

So this is my understanding...

Guitar with gk-5 pickup into gm-800 and out from gm-800 into gkc-da converter box > and 13-pin out to sy-1000 (or some other 13 pin unit). However you will lose volume / s1 and s2 switching etc.. since those don't exist on the new gk-5

But there's no way to hook 2 units up like you can above for those that are using 13-pin pickups on their guitars unless you had a us-20 or something of the sort, right?

They really missed the mark by not putting a 13-pin out on the gkc-ad converter box, so that people could link 2 together that use the 13-pin pickups.
Well really they should have both GK 2/3 13pin and GK-5 1/4" inputs on the GM-800. Conversion boxes and splitters are just stupid in 2023. But there they are...

Hopefully this just means a sign of more GK-5 compatible boxes to come!
If there are enough ‘channels’ in the serial path to allow 6 raw hex pickup signals to travel along with the signals intended for midi conversion ( or if they can be split off and sent downstream prior to conversion in the GM800 to the Serial Output ) then they could make a box of same type as GM800 to be the guitar and amp modeling and effects companion. It could of course be a standalone device but they would certainly be a nice pair to have!
Can the twisted pair serial conductors also carry audio simultaneously with the pitch signals?

Another cool thing is, ok so boss gm-800 says it has 4 parts and rhythm, however when you use zencore pro editor, each partial has an option for stereo or mono. In stereo, you can have 2 sounds per partial via left or right. So technically if you have your GM-800 set up as stereo you can have 8 parts going on at once? Am I thinking correctly about this??

Last edited:
Another cool thing is, ok so boss gm-800 says it has 4 parts and rhythm, however when you use zencore pro editor, each partial has an option for stereo or mono. In stereo, you can have 2 sounds per partial via left or right. So technically if you have your GM-800 set up as stereo you can have 8 parts going on at once? Am I thinking correctly about this??

Not exactly. You can have 4 parts + the rhythm part multi-timbral in splits/layers playing independently. Each part consists of one ZenCore single tone. Each ZenCore tone has up to 4 partials (oscillators) that can be panned and mixed. But those 4 partials are all within one part.

Got it? :)

Not exactly. You can have 4 parts + the rhythm part multi-timbral in splits/layers playing independently. Each part consists of one ZenCore single tone. Each ZenCore tone has up to 4 partials (oscillators) that can be panned and mixed. But those 4 partials are all within one part.

Ok but in the zencore pro plug-in, the PCM section shows you can put it on stereo and use any 2 sounds you want per partial... I'm confused now haha. Still trying to grasp it all before gm-800 comes.

Ok but in the zencore pro plug-in, the PCM section shows you can put it on stereo and use any 2 sounds you want per partial... I'm confused now haha. Still trying to grasp it all before gm-800 comes.
Just know that partials don't play independently. Partials are just Roland's term for oscillators. Partials then go through the signal chain of the mixer, filters, envelopes and other mod sources + FX just like other synths. All that comes together as one the 4 parts.

Matt Damon Math GIF by MIRAMAX

I’m kidding obviously. You guys learn all this stuff so dummies like me can not read the manual and just ask here. :ROFLMAO:

I’m trying to follow along, just not going to be able to fully grasp it until it’s here.

Back