Are you a gear collector or a musician?

Are you a gear collector or a musician?

• Collector - love music gear!

• Musician - the gear is a set of tools

Results are only viewable after voting.

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
I know gear collecting is a thing these days, and a lot of musicians fall into both camps, but just wonder how many people here are more interested in collecting gear vs creating music.

If you fall into both camps, select the one that gets 51% or more of your interest and/or time. No shame either way - there's certainly a lot worse things we could do with our spare time, energy and cash.

I picked musician but honestly I never get any real recording done and mostly mess around.

But even though I have plenty of gear, I have never considered it collecting. Couldn't care less about owning a vintage guitar or some pedigree amp.

I go through my moments of craving gear but at the eod I get more excited about the art of music and making music.

Definitely musician first with collector creeping right up behind. Both titles influence the other in different ways, I suppose. Some of the gear I’ve bought that I didn’t *need* spurred me to write some music and some of the music I write makes me want to get gear better suited for the tones associated with whatever I’m writing.

Not wealthy enough to be a collector, and not up to musician level yet with the guitar, but love to dabble in both..........
biggrin.gif

Musician. I go through a lot of gear trying to decide on the best tools, and I’ve been trying to make myself stop thinking of gear as strictly “tools”.

Sometimes I think it would be fun to collect lots of guitars because there are so many fun ones out there, but ultimately I’m happier with just a few

I'm a wannabe musician with a decent collection of gear. Everything in said "collection" gets frequently used. I don't have an amp/cab/guitar that hasn't been gigged frequently (excluding my new MkV, and that's going to quickly change when we resume gigs in August). Even my deluxe reverb that isnt't the most suited to the music I usually play usually gets to come out for a couple sit in gigs a year.

I do want to continue hoarding as many PRS as I can, but they'll be getting dragged around by me, not being kept safe in a cryogenic collectors case lol so I'm probably not a very good collector

1 - les paul style
1 - strat
1 - tube amp
2 - tube pre-amps
2 - SS pre-amps
1 - cabinet

Musician.
Had more than a half dozen guitars many times in the past but all were players in constant rotation.

I'd like to say "musician" but the truth is I just screw around 95% of the time when I'm playing guitar for fun.
Collector doesn't really fit either as I only own one guitar at the moment with a handful of pedals....and an Axe FX III lol.

Let's call it "hobbyist player" for now. :LOL:

Musician. Though once session and recording work started to get going, the collector side sucked me right in. Though at least I like to think the musician side of me keeps the collector side on a leash that loosens up every now and then.

I feel like "musician" would mean I am a professional and use music as my main source of income, which is definitely not the case. I started my business over 5 years ago, music and my bands are my main hobby to keep me sane. Some people go see a therapist, I play guitar.

Compared to people I know personally, I have an exceptional gear collection. I like the idea that someone can come into my music room and plug in to all sorts of stuff they've only seen or read about but never tried. I have gear that was manufactured in every decade, going back to the 40s. Nerd alert - I have to maintain a spreadsheet to keep track of my equipment, so yeah, I'm definitely a collector (who can also play a little).

Back