What pedal or pedals would you add to a HX Stomp?

You might wanna try the auto on/off wah via expression pedal first. Once you do, you'll never go back to "normal" wahs. ;)
Where's that "not my first auto-wah rodeo" gif when I need it :hmm

Also; 28th A/D conversion would break me. As well as pipelineaudio's autoengage bug he has kept on about :sofa

I just cannot bring myself to love any of the wahs on the Helix (and most modelers I have used). Went back to a 535Q and not turning back!
Really? I find the HX wahs more than sufficient, and highly tweakable too, but I suppose in the end it's always a matter of taste just as well.

EDIT: Also, no serious wah bugs here (yet), the only thing that happened was that 3.15 magically (?) erased the name of the Fasel model from my favorites. The saved favorite remained, just with a blank name.

I'm using a few external pedals with the Stomp today.

Primarily, I use a Strymon Iridium for amp/cab modeling as it really eases the DSP load and it sounds great with way less tweaking. I like having the physical knobs I can tweak super easily. I do wish there was either a boost function or a better A/B favorite system, but it is what it is. Amp/cab modeling takes up half the DSP of the Stomp, so with the Iridium I can run way more stuff.

I have two other pedals I use, a drive pedal (Jackson Golden Boy) and a delay (Walrus ARP-87). The idea there is to have physical knobs to easily tweak and adjust, but I honestly don't love either of them. Sometimes I prefer the models in the Stomp to be honest, and I have the DSP for it.

Money no object, I would love to try a bunch of Strymon pedals as I like the Iridium and they have a lot of cool ones. I'd like to try the Dig for stereo dual delay, the Flint for reverb and tremolo, maybe even the Ola chorus and Sunset/Riverside drive. I probably wouldn't even use the Stomp in that case.

Otherwise, if I'm thinking of effects I would use a ton, here's what I'd like to add:

Keeley Halo - really curious about this pedal, it sounds great, and it's stereo which I miss. But I think the Stomp gets 95% of the way there with various stereo delays.

Friedman Smallbox - I tried the BE-OD and the BE-OD Deluxe and they sound great but WAY too high gain. With the Iridium, I just need a milder OD/boost to go from edge of breakup to rock.

Eventide Micropitch - I really prefer micropitch detune to chorus, and the one in the Stomp is lacking. I don't use it a ton but this would be fun.

I'm using a few external pedals with the Stomp today.

Primarily, I use a Strymon Iridium for amp/cab modeling as it really eases the DSP load and it sounds great with way less tweaking. I like having the physical knobs I can tweak super easily. I do wish there was either a boost function or a better A/B favorite system, but it is what it is. Amp/cab modeling takes up half the DSP of the Stomp, so with the Iridium I can run way more stuff.

I have two other pedals I use, a drive pedal (Jackson Golden Boy) and a delay (Walrus ARP-87). The idea there is to have physical knobs to easily tweak and adjust, but I honestly don't love either of them. Sometimes I prefer the models in the Stomp to be honest, and I have the DSP for it.

Money no object, I would love to try a bunch of Strymon pedals as I like the Iridium and they have a lot of cool ones. I'd like to try the Dig for stereo dual delay, the Flint for reverb and tremolo, maybe even the Ola chorus and Sunset/Riverside drive. I probably wouldn't even use the Stomp in that case.

Otherwise, if I'm thinking of effects I would use a ton, here's what I'd like to add:

Keeley Halo - really curious about this pedal, it sounds great, and it's stereo which I miss. But I think the Stomp gets 95% of the way there with various stereo delays.

Friedman Smallbox - I tried the BE-OD and the BE-OD Deluxe and they sound great but WAY too high gain. With the Iridium, I just need a milder OD/boost to go from edge of breakup to rock.

Eventide Micropitch - I really prefer micropitch detune to chorus, and the one in the Stomp is lacking. I don't use it a ton but this would be fun.
Iridium is an excellent choice for the Stomp, I have done that too. The Iridium takes everything in the Stomp well, drives, and effects. I found that I liked the way Iridium takes the Stomp drives better than the Stomp amps takes them... the Iridium input jfet circuit is really well made.

Im currently trying an Fairfield Circuitry Modele B (always On mini version of the Barbershop) and it also has some kind of input/output/preamp wizardry going on that seems to make everything sound "more" and better. Its so tiny, so even though im undecided on whether I want it always in the sound or not, I am going to keep it. It sounds the same whether I use it on the input or in the FX loop, so keeping it in the fx loop I can turn it on/off or delete the fx block.

Currently in the loops of my helix floor:

Source Audio Ventris
Teese RMC-10 wah
MXR poly blue octave
Barber trifecta (just messing with it, rarely used and unnecessary)

The Ventris I mainly use for an ambient verb I based on the meris M7 (I copied the sound I loved in the M7 then managed to improve it a little) and the spring reverbs, especially the outboard tank sound. The dynamic hall can pretty much cover that more ambient verb. Nothing in HX touches those spring sounds though.

The Teese is a splurge, I had always been curious about them and finally ordered one. I can get some of the HX wahs to sound very close, but the sweep is different and it’s never quite as sweet sounding. The Teese is the sound I hear in my head, so it stays.

The poly blue octave is cool because of the built in fuzz and some kind of offbeat things it does. I mainly use it to free up dsp in helix from the poly effects and for when I want to use more than one octave. The poly octave stuff in helix is technically better.

D

Tried that, done that… 2 times actually. Doesn’t work for me. It’s like trying to be something you are not, both psychologically and physically.

For others probably or as Jive said… “cured”

The most incredible thing with this is that both of you are 100% right.
How is the Helix better that the HX Stomp? Serious question…

Hook me up and set me straight Amigos.

Wait what.. stop trying to make sense about this!!! Damn you.

Kidding…
I don’t know really…. But I do know damn it.

I have had an LT two times, and a stomp since it’s release. Everything with a full Helix is better than the Stomp, in every way. It’s just no contest… but!

Yet… here I am using my ol stomp. :idk

I cannot really say anything to make sense, other than for me I don’t like the full size for home use, because im moving the guitar and modeler and laptop between two floors quite often. Sure, if I could justify the cost, I’d had a rack and controller (or LT) in the basement room, and just move around the stomp as needed. But I can’t justify the costs for my limited use. I tried to adapt the LT for home use and move it as needed but it was not fun and always a worry with the kids and general household things.

My stomp sits on a metro 16 and fits perfectly under the living room dining table protected by a chair and it’s four legs, it’s either there or on the table, and easy to carry down to the basement room. So stomp is kinda a very capable compromise for me. I’m a home player, don’t really need full helix. Metro 16 size is perfect. I love pedals so I like to have the possibility to try a pedal once in a while.
When using full helix I never can justify buying trying pedals for fun.

That’s it.

But full helix is “better” than the stomp from most point of views… except mine :bag

1) Double the DSP.

2) More footswitches.

I have had an LT two times, and a stomp since it’s release. Everything with a full Helix is better than the Stomp, in every way. It’s just no contest… but!

I'd have to disagree on this. YMMV. I have had the Stomp and the full Helix (sold the Stomp for a Helix and then now back to the stomp). I definitely feel a better response from my Stomp. It just feels closer and more immediately gratifying. Maybe it's in my head. But hey, isn't all of music based on mental perceptions. Love thy stomp.

Just saw a video of the Meris LVX and I’d really like to connect that to the Stomp.
It’s a freaking beast… i guess one could just plug it in and press a button. But that would be like using 5% of its potential.
Personally I like to restrict myself to the stomp being the single most advanced pedal I have. Adding boxes that are more advanced than the stomp itself makes me confused :ROFLMAO:

But yeah.. Meris makes great stuff, still have a hard on for that Mercury but never tried it. That one seems simple and great sounding.

Back