Are you a gear collector or a musician?

Are you a gear collector or a musician?

• Collector - love music gear!

• Musician - the gear is a set of tools

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd like to say "musician" but the truth is I just screw around 95% of the time when I'm playing guitar for fun.
Collector doesn't really fit either as I only own one guitar at the moment with a handful of pedals....and an Axe FX III lol.

Let's call it "hobbyist player" for now. :LOL:
Apparently this forum needs to do a better job then?! :hmm

My setup is pretty streamlined at the moment, far short of hoarder or collector status. I’m pretty focused on at least recording my shitty ideas now, but that also falls well short of anything I would call being an actual musician, which to me means someone making a living from music or doing professional work. (And having talent/ability :ROFLMAO: )

Home-Hack-4-Eva!

Some of the gear I’ve bought that I didn’t *need* spurred me to write some music and some of the music I write makes me want to get gear better suited for the tones associated with whatever I’m writing.
That's kinda where my head is with gear, especially this year. "Is this really going to assist me in writing and making music?" Not the flavor of the week, not something I'll use twice and put aside. I'm bad about not selling stuff too so that makes it worse. I really think I need to take full inventory this year and finally sell some stuff. :facepalm

That's kinda where my head is with gear, especially this year. "Is this really going to assist me in writing and making music?" Not the flavor of the week, not something I'll use twice and put aside. I'm bad about not selling stuff too so that makes it worse. I really think I need to take full inventory this year and finally sell some stuff. :facepalm
So many variables. Selling right now SUCKS. Also; the gear glut from covid times has really backed up to just UGH levels. Trying to get excited about a new piece of whatever (I am going to dial in to sound the exact same as everything else) is tough atm.

So many variables. Selling right now SUCKS. Also; the gear glut from covid times has really backed up to just UGH levels. Trying to get excited about a new piece of whatever (I am going to dial in to sound the exact same as everything else) is tough atm.
What's funny, I didn't buy any gear (besides strings etc) during 2020 and I was making great money that year working from home. Plus side I saved a lot of money not falling to temptation. Changing my line of work in 2021 affected all that though. Commute with less pay starting off, but it was my choice and worth it in the long run. I feel now I've come to terms with where I'm at musically and I really only need so much, and like you said, we end up dialing in our own sound the same. :rofl

I still hang onto lots of gear that I don't regularly use anymore, but I never buy gear just to collect it. I only buy gear to use as a tool for making music.

Less a musician, more a producer. Lately I've been having a blast remixing friends' bands. No pressure to write a great song, just having fun interpreting someone else's songs, trying to make them something unique and solid on their own (Melodyning all vocal tracks to a minor key, halving/doubling the tempo, radically changing genres, etc.).

But I definitely collect plugins/softsynths. Totally the target victim customer for XX% off sales. Was trying to keep the plugin count lean for the new rig but that lasted like... a month. Latest favorites are from Teletone and Slate+Ash.

Musician. The only gear collection I have is the stuff I've not been able to get rid off. I don't like having things that don't get used. Sooner or later, the musician in me will find a use for it.

Guitarist, budding sound engineer and DIY builder. Not a collector, and "musician" is too unspecific a genre.

Only reason I have a few collectible pieces of gear is because I've kept them all these decades. :LOL:

Mostly a musician with a tiny collection of special pieces I have loved hard
over the years. Nothing buck ass wild and too crazy, though.

None of the Above.

I am not a musician, I have no wish to become one, and have some gear to suit my hobby and interest.

I have liked the sound of an electric guitar in a room all my life, and with no live music in my city I have to make the noise myself.

EDIT: Old Man Yelling at Clouds to Follow:
When I was younger most of my aunties and uncles and all their friends had upright pianos or other instruments in their houses and many ordinary people played music regularly but not professionally and never considered themselves musicians. My Aunty Natalie just missed out on becoming a concert pianist, and never considered herself a musician, but plays Chopin daily from memory in her 90's. Because My Dad was military and we moved every couple of years, I didn't.

Ordinary people play music without being musicians or collectors. It should be just part of life, IMHO.

Last edited:
All sinners posting a vicious thread starting with NGD, NPD, NAD, NAMM, etc shall be shamed in public and banned for eternity :cop

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Last edited:
I'd like to say "musician" but the truth is I just screw around 95% of the time when I'm playing guitar for fun.
Collector doesn't really fit either as I only own one guitar at the moment with a handful of pedals....and an Axe FX III lol.

Let's call it "hobbyist player" for now. :LOL:

Ah! SINNER!! Did you say Axe-FX? You own no less than 327 amplifiers, 70 drive pedals, hundreds of top-class effects, thousand of CABs... and you pretend to be a humble player??? SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!! :rofl

nobody expects GIF

Jessica Williams Shame GIF

Back