Anyone using BOSS GT-1000, SY-1000 or similar with bass? I need tweaking tips

Piing

Roadie
Since the GT-1000 and the SY-1000 share similar engine for the regular pickups input, I am wondering if someone can share some intel on Bass matters.

I will copy/paste my post from V-Guitar Forums:

I am playing one gig with a band where the bass player has no amp. He connects directly from the 5-string bass to the PA.

It doesn't sound bad by itself, but the uncontrolled frequency response and dynamics eats the room for all the other instruments.

I am programming some patches at my SY-1000 on Bass-Mode, to lend it to him. But I do not have a bass and I have never programmed bass patches. I can only test it with my guitars.

I have started with the default BOSS Compressor, and the AMP block. So far I have created 5 patches with the following amps and their default speaker:

- CONCERT (Ampeg SVT)
- AC BASS (Acoustic Bass)
- GK BASS (Gallien-Krueger 800RB)
- FLIP TOP (Ampeg B-15)
- BASSMAN

Everything with default settings

We will have little time to test and tweak before we start the next rehearsal on Monday.

Any recommendations? Anyone has already created some patches that sound good with Normal Bass Input?

Last edited:
All my SY-1000 Bass gig patch set are for GK input, but I guess if the input were set to "normal" the patches would still work the same (except for an alt tuning one).

If you have the 3rd party SY-1000FxFloorBoard editor, in the supplied bundle of SY-1000 Bass mode patches is a *.tsl patch set labelled "Colz gig set_B".
Try these ones, they also have some type of synth or assigned function added, enabled by either an EXP pedal direct, or by midi cc# from the GR-55 EXP pedal.
Without an EXP pedal, if I recall, the CTRL 1 pedal will toggle the extra effect in some cases.

Make sure the SY-1000 has been started in "Bass Mode" too.

What was you favorite AMP/CAB? Did you use compressor or other FX?
Oh by far the X-Crunch for electric guitar. It's perfect for clean, crunch and lead (like a Dirty Shirley). Really the perfect amp sim (for me at least). For bass, I would have to go look at my setup (it's been the same forever).

All my SY-1000 Bass gig patch set are for GK input, but I guess if the input were set to "normal" the patches would still work the same (except for an alt tuning one).

If you have the 3rd party SY-1000FxFloorBoard editor, in the supplied bundle of SY-1000 Bass mode patches is a *.tsl patch set labelled "Colz gig set_B".
Try these ones, they also have some type of synth or assigned function added, enabled by either an EXP pedal direct, or by midi cc# from the GR-55 EXP pedal.
Without an EXP pedal, if I recall, the CTRL 1 pedal will toggle the extra effect in some cases.

Make sure the SY-1000 has been started in "Bass Mode" too.
I've loaded the "Colz gig set_B" presets, but they are meant to be used with a GK. Some are using the Normal Input in parallel with the INST, but it sounds very thin when using only the Nomal Input.

There is one folder named "SY1000_Bass_Normal" but it is empty

From the Factory Presets, only 48-1 to 50-4 have sound using the Normal Input. But they are Synths. The Normal Input Block is muted at all factory presets. It is the normal pickups triggering the Synths. I did not know that it was possible to trigger the DYNAMIC SYNTH with the regular pickups. That is interesting

Last edited:
Already tried it with the bass, SY-1000 plugged to the PA at the rehearsal venue. The FLIP TOP (Ampeg B-15) is AMAZING!!

Just the COMP and the AMP with the default settings. No tweaking needed.

:chef

The first thing that it inspired me to play is this intro. It immediately came to my fingers as soon as I started playing with that tone, even though I haven't heard that Stu record for ages, and I've hardly ever played a real bass.

BRUTAL!

Last edited:
Some are using the Normal Input in parallel with the INST, but it sounds very thin when using only the Nomal Input.
That's the issue with using the normal input with the dynamic synth with a guitar.

My 6 string bass sounds thin also. I just ordered a used GK3B, should improve things a bit.

I recently purchased a used GK3B and mounted on my Ibanez 6 string bass tuned to standard guitar tuning. My SY1000 was having some stuck note stability problems on the osc synth so I finally upgraded to 1.08 from the 1.06 firmware.

The factory synths are fairly bad but the factory bass models are excellent. The fretless model with added normal mag pups makes my bass tone shine.

Now I just need to dig in and program some usable synth tones.

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_175437.jpg
    IMG_20231024_175437.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Back