Anybody else getting sick of modellers?

Oh god, I remember this debate from TOP. I also remember the Katana website says “One notable feature of the Katana-100 is its expanded selection of amp models and effects, providing a comprehensive palette of tones suitable for various musical styles.” :columbo
They added that with the release of the Gen 2.

You can download amp models called sneaky amps that where used for one of their floor processors. They're not designed for the Katana, and as a result they sound literally nothing like the amps they're labeled as. In fact, they mostly just sound bad in general because they weren't designed for the Katana.

A lot of people don't realize blackstar doesn't just make cheapo high gain amps.

All their professional grade low gain true valve amps are as good as any Fender, Vox, Marshall etc. I prefer the Artist series Blackstar amps over my Fender amps all day because of a feature that allows you to move them from American to British tone. I generally have it set right in the middle. Sounds like an AC15 and a deluxe reverb had a kid

Yeah, some like to Pinata some of the Blackstar low-hanging fruit
first thing in the morning. :LOL:

Line 6 make Spyders. They also make an Helix. :unsure: Line 6 is owned by
Yamaha. Big Corporation that makes a lot of consumer goods at
varying quality and price points. Much like Roland/Korg who own
and distribute Blackstar. No one ever says L6 is just one thing, though,
like some do with Blackstar around here.

:beer

AKA soiled
You could say that, But it still doesn't change the fact that there high end amps are very good amps.

It's the same thing with Mesa boogie these days. They made a few turds, and now.
everyone is scared of them. Last I heard, Mesa was on the verge of getting absorbed.

And now a word from our sponsors...

line-six-pod-20-5317.jpg

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

:rofl

I think if they had the Artisan (and the quality that I have heard you speak of) in that silver tolex (they put out on a solid state turd) a while back; I would be a lot more inclined to be open to it. But that price and the burple are just hard no's from me dawg :nails:rofl

It's a back/forth thing for sure. I'd rather plug into the 50W Stealth these days but for recording? Fuggedaboudit! Modeling all day. Pedalboard shmedlebaord I'll use a modeler as an FX only unit and not deal with all the cabling (which I actually enjoy, just not when I'm playing guitar).

I have a Helix and a Stomp and neither of them get in my way tonally, probably because I stick to a handful of amp models I know work well for me, and only use one IR - - the cab I use. I created the IR with a reference mic and EQed to perfection myself. No option paralysis, no huge sweeping differences between what comes out of FoH/IEMs/studio monitors/wedge/physical cab, no sweat.

The Katana is not a modeling amp. It's a multi effects digital processor integrated into a solid state amp with a traditional class AB analog gain stage.

There are no preset patches, and the on-board amp models are not inspirations unless you consider clean, crunch, lead etc inspirations.

The Katana does have effects that are inspired from existing effect, particularly Boss effects, but it does not model existing amps unless you create or download patches to do so.

This subject comes up quite often in Katana groups and has been beaten to death. It literally says the Katana is not a modeling amp on the Boss website. This is not opinion, it's fact.

What I have noticed is that a lot of older players can't get past the whole modeling thing and often don't understand the Katana, which is why it's the most returned amp out there. My nephew works at Guitar center and says they get boomers almost on the daily
because they can't wrap their minds around the concept of the Katana. It's not designed to sound like other amps. It's a quality solid state amp with a $hi+load of effects.

The only thing analog about the Katanas is the Class A/B power section. The preamp is entirely digital, and utilizes the COSM modeling engine, which was taken straight from the GT100. You remember the “Sneaky Amps”? Those were already in the firmware (which was lifted straight out of the GT100). If the preamp/gain stages were analog, you wouldn’t be able to hack into the SOFTWARE to unlock them.

You can tweak everything from the editor because it’s all digital.

You can save presets in the computer because it’s all digital.

While BOSS played with the verbiage for marketing reasons, it is a digital amp simulator, also more commonly known as a modeler.

I have a MkII Artist, and it is a fine noisemaker (applying my own verbiage here).

The Katana is not a modeling amp. It's a multi effects digital processor integrated into a solid state amp with a traditional class AB analog gain stage.

There are no preset patches, and the on-board amp models are not inspirations unless you consider clean, crunch, lead etc inspirations.

The Katana does have effects that are inspired from existing effect, particularly Boss effects, but it does not model existing amps unless you create or download patches to do so.

This subject comes up quite often in Katana groups and has been beaten to death. It literally says the Katana is not a modeling amp on the Boss website. This is not opinion, it's fact.

What I have noticed is that a lot of older players can't get past the whole modeling thing and often don't understand the Katana, which is why it's the most returned amp out there. My nephew works at Guitar center and says they get boomers almost on the daily
because they can't wrap their minds around the concept of the Katana. It's not designed to sound like other amps. It's a quality solid state amp with a $hi+load of effects.

Close! They are digital Preamps and effects, with a class A/B poweramp stage.
Oh god, I remember this debate from TOP. I also remember the Katana website says “One notable feature of the Katana-100 is its expanded selection of amp models and effects, providing a comprehensive palette of tones suitable for various musical styles.” :columbo
Not This Shit Again™
They added that with the release of the Gen 2.

You can download amp models called sneaky amps that where used for one of their floor processors. They're not designed for the Katana, and as a result they sound literally nothing like the amps they're labeled as. In fact, they mostly just sound bad in general because they weren't designed for the Katana.
Close, again. You don't "download" the sneaky amps, they're already on there without a real option to select them provided you use the panel or their editor. There are third party editors that allow you to select these sneaky digital Preamps, although one of my favorites was crippled with one of the Mk2 FW updates.

The only thing analog about the Katanas is the Class A/B power section. The preamp is entirely digital, and utilizes the COSM modeling engine, which was taken straight from the GT100. You remember the “Sneaky Amps”? Those were already in the firmware (which was lifted straight out of the GT100). If the preamp/gain stages were analog, you wouldn’t be able to hack into the SOFTWARE to unlock them.

You can tweak everything from the editor because it’s all digital.

You can save presets in the computer because it’s all digital.

While BOSS played with the verbiage for marketing reasons, it is a digital amp simulator, also more commonly known as a modeler.

I have a MkII Artist, and it is a fine noisemaker (applying my own verbiage here).
Screaming Sonic The Hedgehog GIF by Mashed

I can’t imagine not having a modeler. Too easy to record, and also a great way to demo gear that would be too costly to churn otherwise. But nothing beats flipping the switch on the JVM and getting some cabs slapping.

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Modeler + Power Amp + CAB might be the best of both worlds though. Digging that approach atm.

Back