3.6 When ?

I don't do that either because I've switched that option off. Still leaves other capacitive options intact, for whatever weird reasons.

When I first got the stomp I accidently hit the capacitance switches all the time but must have gotten used to it cause I never do that now.

Fwiw, given they're sharing the same DNA, when it comes to on-unit-editing, the differences between the Stomps and the larger units are staggering.

When I first got the stomp I accidently hit the capacitance switches all the time but must have gotten used to it cause I never do that now.

I hardly seem to be able to avoid it when dialing something in. I mean, I got hands instead of tweezers, so when I try get them outta the way to watch the display while turning the encoder, it's getting almost impossible for me to never touch the encoders.
Obviously it makes a lot of a difference how you assigned them, but my switches all control multiple things at once, worst case for what I described.

For me it's the mediocre hardware. XLR out with PP issues,
I actually bought some phantom blockers because of the warnings. I gotta say, that that one is beyond ridiculous and can add a hundred or more to the cost of the unit. Not cool at all for what the device's intended function is

One of the most requested and useful features on Ideascale since 2015.... 8 years.
poweramps.png

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/37682

The Cartographer preamp with both bright switches (high-shelf caps) engaged is more a 2204 than whatever the Brit 2204 is, the problem is Cartographer's poweramp sucks, the full amp sounds broken but the preamp alone is gold.

Mark IV Lead was modeled with the Presence Pushed which removes negative feedback, but Rhythm 1 poweramp doesn't have a push/pull on Presence and has the classic IIC+/III poweramp response which is already modeled.
Mark IV Lead preamp + Mark IV Rhythm 1 Poweramp = Mark IIC+, I confirmed with the schematics of both.

Then of course the option to use Preamps or FX Send from real amps with Helix/HX Poweramps instead of buying expensive Load boxes for recording or quiet practice, the most common Poweramps are already modeled.

Preamp pedal -> HX Poweramp model -> flat Solid-State Poweramp -> Cab.
Triaxis -> HX Poweramp model -> IR -> FOH.

And many other scenarios where Poweramp models are useful.

Sleeping on gold... :sleep:

Last edited:
One of the most requested features on Ideascale since 2015.... 8 years.
View attachment 5626
https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/37682

The Cartographer preamp with both bright switches (high-shelf caps) engaged is more a 2204 than whatever the Brit 2204 is, the problem is Cartographer's poweramp sucks, the full amp sounds broken but the preamp alone is gold.

Mark IV Lead was modeled with the Presence Pushed which removes negative feedback, but Rhythm 1 poweramp doesn't have a push/pull on Presence and has the classic IIC+/III poweramp response which is already modeled.
Mark IV Lead preamp + Mark IV Rhythm 1 Poweramp = Mark IIC+, I confirmed with the schematics of both.

Then of course the option to use Preamps or FX Send from real amps with Helix/HX Poweramps instead of buying expensive Load boxes for recording or quiet practice, the most common Poweramps are already modeled.

Preamp pedal -> HX Poweramp model -> flat solid-state poweramp -> cab.

Maybe that’s the future hours of nebulous fun feature.

Reactions: zib
Maybe that’s the future hours of nebulous fun feature.
That could be anything like a new funky looper or a reverse reverb, hours of fun for some, hard skip for others.

The feature above is a useful tool for practice, live stage, recording, creating new virtual amps and integrating real gear with modelers at sane volumes without losing the tube power response and without paying extra for load boxes.

If anything, I'm surprised Fractal hasn't jumped on this yet, they have the most advanced tube poweramp modeling out there.

Ben Adrian did address this on TGP a while ago:

Screenshot_20230323-075334.png

I think the salient parts are here:

There's currently no way in our architecture to have a power amp model talk in an audio-backwards direction to a preamp model.

So it's not impossible, and it's definitely on our list of stuff to do, but it's much more complicated than most people think to mush two amp halves together and have the new system perform realistically.

It's been almost exactly 6 years since this post, so I think we can safely say it probably isn't going to happen in the current generation, but perhaps a "happy" compromise could just be some "generic" power amp models that you can mix/match with the Helix preamps.

I know exactly what Ben is saying.
He insists on interconnecting the power supplies... but why?

Does a Mesa 2:90 "talk back" or feed B+ supply to an external Triaxis or ADA MP-1?
Nope.

Leave the full amp power supply, cut it off before the Phase Inverter, add an Input into the phase inverter with a volume control. Done.
It's exactly like using the FX Return of an amp or a tube poweramp like the Mesa 2:90, the Preamp might as well not have tubes in it at all.

I don't care if using a Preamp and Poweramp in two blocks take more DSP because now we have two modeled power supplies, that's the trade off.
Again, it's exactly like using a Mesa 2:90 with a Triaxis, two separate power supplies.

perhaps a "happy" compromise could just be some "generic" power amp models that you can mix/match with the Helix preamps.
That will require a power supply modeling too, so no different than copy pasting one of the existing poweramps.
That's the point, they are literally RIGHT THERE no need to model anything.

Last edited:
I know exactly what Ben is saying.
He insists on interconnecting the power supplies... but why?

Does a Mesa 2:90 "talk back" or feed B+ supply to an external Triaxis or ADA MP-1?
Nope.
True - but that isn't really the same scenario as this:

as the Mesa 2:90 is *only* a power amp and doesn't have a preamp, which is a different scenario to mixing/matching pre and power amps from "full amp" models.

Leave the full amp power supply, cut it off before the Phase Inverter, add an Input into the phase inverter with a volume control. Done.
It's exactly like using the FX Return of an amp or a tube poweramp like the Mesa 2:90.

I think Ben's point is it won't behave "realistically", i.e. matching a preamp block with a separate power amp block from the same amp model won't yield the same results as using the full amp model, but I think at this point neither of us probably "care" too much about that as long as it sounds good.

I think Ben's point is it won't behave "realistically"
Right, you will not get the "completely realistic" B+ Sag in the Preamp when cranking the Master with two separate power supplies.
But I'm not trying to build a realistic amp, the uses of poweramp model extend far beyond that, so I don't know why Ben singled out the Preamp B+ non-issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"realistic"
:farley

Come on....

About "independent pre and power amp blocks", one can imagine the variety of combinations.
That's just a small part of what this feature is useful for.
I imagine people will be using their real amp FX Send into the Helix/HX Poweramp + IR for silent recording, practice and live stage.

As an aside, I've often wondered if this is why I don't like separate preamp and poweramp units. It never feels right to me. Always a bit stiffer than I want - hurrrr durrrrrr cocks.

Back