Which iconic amp(s) are the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18s based on?

kartikg3

Roadie
I used to own (and loved!) the H&K TM 18 paired with a H&K 112 closed back cab with a Celestion V30. In your opinions (and experience/ expertise), which iconic amp(s) are these based on / sound like?

<The clean channel, and then the lead+lead boost channels>

I don't have an answer for you (sorry), but there's a TriAmp Mk2 + HK 4x12 up the road that's been for sale forever. I've liked a lot I've heard from the HK products, and it's taken what little self control I have to not scoop up the half stack.

I meant to make a thread on H&K’s this weekend, as it dawned on me how much amps are spoken about here, or anywhere, and how little H&K’s are brought up. What’s the deal with that?

I’ve never heard anything bad about the quality of their amps, but I swear I’ve read more about Krank amps on forums than H&K’s.

I meant to make a thread on H&K’s this weekend, as it dawned on me how much amps are spoken about here, or anywhere, and how little H&K’s are brought up. What’s the deal with that?

I’ve never heard anything bad about the quality of their amps, but I swear I’ve read more about Krank amps on forums than H&K’s.
The first amp sim I ever used in a DAW was the H&K Warp, oddly enough. LOVED it. I always wanted to try the Warp T head because of this but never did :unsure:

I used to own (and loved!) the H&K TM 18 paired with a H&K 112 closed back cab with a Celestion V30. In your opinions (and experience/ expertise), which iconic amp(s) are these based on / sound like?

<The clean channel, and then the lead+lead boost channels>

A question and an answer:

1. Do you remember liking that cab? I have the 2x12, and I've been thinking about getting the 1x12.

2. I currently have the Grandmeister Deluxe 40, and used to own a Switchblade.

To me, they are like, loose, (albeit versatile), interpretations of the classics. I wouldn't say the clean sounds just like any Fender, but it'll lean in that direction, and it'll break up if you turn the gain all the way up.

I don't think any of the channels sound just like anything, but the Crunch channel is more in the British/Plexi area than anything else, and the Ultra channel is gainier and a little scooped, so I'll say in the Rectifier area. I don't know what the hell the lead channel is like, but I actually use it for some rhythm work as well.

I think the problem is like Revv they are just a bit generic , the early Triamp was great but the tubemeisters small glass just kind of bright and Marshally a good tone but not distinct
The Lead Crunch and Clean channels are nice , the Ultra sucks
Effects are average in the Grandmeister but it is convenient

The original Triamp lead channel was basically an SLO preamp with a more Marshall voiced Eq and pot values

Yes, I really wonder why that is, sometimes? Their (lack of) marketing perhaps? I have been part of H&K facebook communities and they are quite tight out there, they really love their H&Ks, (as did I)

To me, they are like, loose, (albeit versatile), interpretations of the classics. I wouldn't say the clean sounds just like any Fender, but it'll lean in that direction, and it'll break up if you turn the gain all the way up.
I remember it being a wonderful pedal platform.

Yes, I really wonder why that is, sometimes? Their (lack of) marketing perhaps? I have been part of H&K facebook communities and they are quite tight out there, they really love their H&Ks, (as did I)

I dunno, I've always been aware they were being made and generally knew about new amps. Probably even saw them in stores all the time, but for some reason they never once got on my radar as something I wanted to try.

I wonder if it's the lack of any particular guitarist getting their signature sound with one. I know Lifeson used them and a few others along the way, but there's no one off the top of my head who is known for their tone, or their tone from a particular era, that was coming from an H&K.

1. Do you remember liking that cab? I have the 2x12, and I've been thinking about getting the 1x12.
I remember liking the cab, yes! I only ever used that one for bedroom level home/basement playing and noodling. I do enjoy open cabs more these days. It has a very distinct "closed-cab" mid-focussed feel to it, which is probably great for heavier stuff and lead playing.

I dunno, I've always been aware they were being made and generally knew about new amps. Probably even saw them in stores all the time, but for some reason they never once got on my radar as something I wanted to try.

I wonder if it's the lack of any particular guitarist getting their signature sound with one. I know Lifeson used them and a few others along the way, but there's no one off the top of my head who is known for their tone, or their tone from a particular era, that was coming from an H&K.
Gorgeous amps though. I would turn off the lights in my basement and the H&K neon blue glow would be the sole source of light for my midnight guitar noodling.

I've tried a bunch of them in stores over the years, all the way up to the Triamp Mk1 or Mk2 I think? But I've never quite loved the tones I've gotten. On paper the feature set is right in my wheelhouse, but when I actually try the amps they tend to be kind a fizzy when overdriven at more reasonable volumes so I never end up loving them.

A lot of guitar forums are simply very US centric so just because H&K is probably not that well available and cheap in the US will have an effect on how much people talk about them.

I think the problem is like Revv they are just a bit generic , the early Triamp was great but the tubemeisters small glass just kind of bright and Marshally a good tone but not distinct.

I think these two comments nail it. It's hard to hold onto "generic", and something unidentifiable.

The "generic" comment by GTR37 is probably why my Grandmeister works for me, and probably why Peaveys, Traynors, and Riveras had worked for me in the past, and why I have never found "my" tone with modeling. I'm not looking to sound just like ________ amp, I'm looking to sound how *I* want to sound, and I think the generic thing works for me.

The "generic" comment by GTR37 is probably why my Grandmeister works for me, and probably why Peaveys, Traynors, and Riveras had worked for me in the past, and why I have never found "my" tone with modeling. I'm not looking to sound just like ________ amp, I'm looking to sound how *I* want to sound, and I think the generic thing works for me.
It's a double edged sword for sure. I feel like the Chinese made Egnaters are a little bit generic, but liked the Tourmaster head I had. It could do a ton. But at the same time it felt like it was somehow missing something.

I feel like Blackstar is also in that "generic" category where there's nothing wrong with it, but it's also not blowing your socks off. Some Revv models are kinda like that.

I don't think H&K amps even sound generic, I just don't like the "H&K flavor", whatever that is.

Only one I've ever spent time with was the Coreblade, but that thing was fucking incredible. One of my favorite high gainers I've ever played tbh.

It's definitely odd how under the radar they are

Back