No amps I currently have fit the bill for what I want to do.

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
So I'm amp hunting after selling off a few of my polished turds. I have decided I am going to use my Helix LT OR Headrush MX5 for post effects only and probably my Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe V2 direct to input of amp. Just like when I owned a Fractal product though, I now have option anxiety. There are quite a few amps in my price range of 1200 bucks.

I feel like going back to Mesa land which helps limit the options but then I start to think about would I be better served with something like a Rectoverb 50 or DC5, or something with a lot more options like some of the upper end H&K offerings? I have seen several Tri-Amps and Switchblades that are pretty tempting. I cant imagine though if something goes wrong with one of those they are as easy to fix as a Mesa. I have a buddy who's used his Tri-Amp for over a decade and he's had it serviced at least 3 times that I remember where it was out of commission for weeks at a time.

I also started to think about new stuff like maybe an Origin 50 or DSL100HR. The Blackstar St. James head looks tempting too. I know a few things for sure though.. I need

Biggish Iron 40w+
Effects loop (prefer series but parallel is ok too)
At least 2 channels or even a faux 2nd channel like the Origin
Great native cleans and dirt
Line out with either a good cab sim or no cab sim
Head form that will mate well with my black 2x12 of V30's
Preferably not hard to service
NO EL84's

Any ideas?

So I'm amp hunting after selling off a few of my polished turds. I have decided I am going to use my Helix LT OR Headrush MX5 for post effects only and probably my Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe V2 direct to input of amp. Just like when I owned a Fractal product though, I now have option anxiety. There are quite a few amps in my price range of 1200 bucks.

I feel like going back to Mesa land which helps limit the options but then I start to think about would I be better served with something like a Rectoverb 50 or DC5, or something with a lot more options like some of the upper end H&K offerings? I have seen several Tri-Amps and Switchblades that are pretty tempting. I cant imagine though if something goes wrong with one of those they are as easy to fix as a Mesa. I have a buddy who's used his Tri-Amp for over a decade and he's had it serviced at least 3 times that I remember where it was out of commission for weeks at a time.

I also started to think about new stuff like maybe an Origin 50 or DSL100HR. The Blackstar St. James head looks tempting too. I know a few things for sure though.. I need

Biggish Iron 40w+
Effects loop (prefer series but parallel is ok too)
At least 2 channels or even a faux 2nd channel like the Origin
Great native cleans and dirt
Line out with either a good cab sim or no cab sim
Head form that will mate well with my black 2x12 of V30's
Preferably not hard to service
NO EL84's

Any ideas?
Badlander

I definitely am in favor of mesa land

I would skip the Rectoverb 50 tho tbh, it has good sounds in it, but it's in a weird spot to sound its best where it's too loud for home, and not loud enough for band. And clean headroom is basically non existent at band volumes, as well as a sucky loop.

F series, express plus, DCs, etc. would all be cool. If you look hard enough you could probably find a dual recto in the $1200 range. I paid $1350 for my roadster, and a buddy just grabbed one for $1k, albeit in a bit more beat up condition than mine.

I know you said no EL84s.... but Mesa TA30. One of the best gigging amps I have ever used.

I think I am going to try out the one they have at my local MGR. Maybe tonight I dunno. It's a combo but seems like a good price @ 800 bucks.

I think I am going to try out the one they have at my local MGR. Maybe tonight I dunno. It's a combo but seems like a good price @ 800 bucks.

That's a killer price. One side is Voxy and the other is Tweedy/Blackfacey (also have a Marshall mode
and a Mesa mode on Ch. 2). I love mine. I have gigged it with no pedals and just straight in on numerous
occasions.

Bob….
Radical Acceptance my man.
You CAN’T put lipstick on a pig.
The pig EATS the lipstick quicker & quicker
everytime my dude!!
-because deep down in your nutsack
you know it’s a damn HOG of a Wh*re of an amp.

Dude, look into used Rockerverb’s,
-those are killer for the ca$h.
Stop blowing your loot on those damn cheap pigs,
-combo all the ca$h up & getchoo’ a RV.
Last time I checked Bob,
-pigs ain’t Orange.

Bob….
Radical Acceptance my man.
You CAN’T put lipstick on a pig.
The pig EATS the lipstick quicker & quicker
everytime my dude!!
-because deep down in your nutsack
you know it’s a damn HOG of a Wh*re of an amp.

Dude, look into used Rockerverb’s,
-those are killer for the ca$h.
Stop blowing your loot on those damn cheap pigs,
-combo all the ca$h up & getchoo’ a RV.
Last time I checked Bob,
-pigs ain’t Orange.

I have heard many make those things sing. Me on the other hand. Nope. To me it sounds like mud laden crap

St James are nice amps

also check hook wizard

laney IRT If you can eat the el84 requirement;)

Bogner alchemist

egnater renegade

tech’s generally hate Blackstar (lots of surface mount parts, Blackstar don’t always send schematics). Cost of repair can often be much more than it’s worth, even for blackstar, so they’ll chuck it in a landfill and replace the whole thing. Not really into that myself.

They’re also not fond on working on Mesa, the way they are built means it takes a lot of time to do anything and things aren’t always clear. They at least sound great, which puts them well ahead of blackstar.

DSL 100HR is very hard to beat, especially as that one can footswitch between all 4 modes. Not sure it’s a GREAT loop but it’ll be good enough.

Friedman Runt 50 or something from Ceriatone could be cool too. Always some bargains on Peavey if you hunt around too.

Some good info here. If you are sensitive to Mesa criticisms, skip the mesa part 😂

Last edited:
Back