What is your oldest guitar?

Firebirds are generally super underrepresented, imo. I love 'em :chef
Here's my 2008 Firebird V
IMG_20200820_114725.jpg

Oldest I own is this Ibanez pre-Artist SA-100 BS (no idea what the letter stand for), built ca. 71-72 (serial number missing), bought it in '92. Would sort of really need new pickups (neck is fantastic, brigde is ear piercing nonsense, unfortunately both are way too hot), but I really dig the covers. Could also do with a new bridge. And, uhm, frets - at least one day. I usually only play this at home.
Ibanez SA.jpg

Guitar I own the longest is an Ibanez Sabre, the budget version of that squeaky yellow Frank Gambale model, bought new in 1990. It's in parts somewhere, may post pics when I finally slap it back together (needs a lot of work as it has been my experimental lab for a while...).

r5KOfB8.jpg

My 82 San Dimas. It’s a unique bird. It’s a parts guitar but the body and neck are legit 82 and mate perfectly. The body has the more narrow neck pocket to accommodate the Strat head necks of that time (they didn’t go to 2 1/4” until the pointies). Also both neck and body have the proper employee markings - order numbers, initials (verified no less) and both are marked S+L to indicate the neck was to be sealed and lacquered clear Vs oiled. Original brass trem and brass strap buttons/string tree. Plain brass neck plate. Never had a proper SN so brass gives it the “pre-production” look. It’s not the original paint. Last owner, who’s a friend of mine and who I bought it from, had it refinished to the black with Pink Panther graphic by a local artist. It’s a cool guitar.

When I got it it had a Duncan Custom in the bridge and oddly enough a Duncan Screamin Demon in the neck. I actually like the Demon in the neck. It’s hotter and has a glassier tone. Almost a little stratty. I pulled the Custom and put in a Duncan RTM from the custom shop. Also put in a 250K pot to tame the top end a little (no tone so 500K by itself gets pretty bright). I love it. This guitar got me started on Charvels. It’s just so unique and a conversation piece. Helps that it plays and sounds amazing to boot.

Then you play one and go why is it so much brighter than a Tele and Strat combined. :wat
I blamed the weird pickups. I've never played one but always wanted to. I did have a fire bird base for about 5 minutes.

A stock Peavey Wolfgang Special Tobacco Burst - unmodified.
It does have a replaced NOS Bridge though from so much use.
My main axe for 11 years.
Still bust it out to record.

Okay, I'm going to stretch the categories even further.

I don't play this one, it's exactly like my first electric guitar, so, I just have it around for sentimental purposes. The ACTUAL oldest mfg'd guitar I own is the Tiesco/Whatever Sears catalog jawn from the 60's:

SpLFcAP.jpg

5eNusu2.jpg

Then, the 2nd oldest, that I ACTUALLY PLAY, is this 1980 Ibanez BL-50MH:

lAMu8lK.jpg

bQBBMGN.jpg

The one I've had the longest, (which ironically, I've never played too much at all), is my 1998 Ibanez RG520QTSB, bought in 2001. Back in the "shredder" days, I never owned an RG, and always wanted one, so I bought this one, even though I was done with that kind of guitar. I probably only need two hands to count how many times I've gigged it in the last 22 years:

hwEIVBE.jpg

My oldest guitar is a 1985 MIJ Strat. I bought it on a whim this summer.

My longest-owned guitar is a 2019 Gibson LP Standard 50s that I bought in 2021 (still first owner - it just sat in the store for a long time). After I got it, the guitars I had before it really didn't get any play time and got sold.

Technically, I'm in possession of the first guitar I ever played, which was an early-00s Epiphone SG. But...I don't play it because I don't like it, and it's not actually mine...the guy who owns it (and got me into guitar) left it at my place years ago before he moved across the atlantic, and it's been moving with me since then. Every year or so, I change the strings and give it a tune-up then put it back in the case.

When I see people posting their oldest guitar is from 199X I at first think, it's not that old. Then I realize, Crap... the '90s were 25-30 years ago and gear from that era is becoming vintage. Now I just need that Peavey Blazer I had as my first practice amp from back then to become a collectors item LOL!

My oldest is a Fender Wildwood II acoustic from the 1960s.
The one I've had longest is an Electra Les Paul Custom copy from 1971.

Back