What is a 'mature' modeler?

James Freeman

Rock Star
For me it's a modeler that:
-has its features implemented so well that I couldn't think of a better way to do it more efficiently or conveniently.
-has a big variety of effects and models and a versatile routing chain to create complex tones.
-has intricate, customizable and fast control over everything via footswitches.
-has no cut corners when it comes to core amp tone shaping.
-is bug free and reliable, software and hardware.
-has great and solid long term support and service for hardware and software.
-I know it will be usable years and years after its EOL.

I'm partially describing both AxeFx and Helix here, but it's because they are what I consider as mature modelers.

What is in your opinion a mature modeler?

A broad and deep library of amps/effects, flexible control options and a sense of a unified "whole being greater than the sum of the parts" feel when using the unit are the obvious ones for me.

The original "big 3" of Fractal/L6/Kemper tick those boxes and the QC and GT1000 get close too. The QC and GT development philosophies are counter-opposites too - "big things coming soon" vs "here you go, it's all there so have fun".

For me it's a modeler that:
-has its features implemented so well that I couldn't think of a better way to do it more efficiently or conveniently.
-has a big variety of effects and models and a versatile routing chain to create complex tones.
-has intricate, customizable and fast control over everything via footswitches.
-has no cut corners when it comes to core amp tone shaping.
-is bug free and reliable, software and hardware.
-has great and solid long term support and service for hardware and software.
-I know it will be usable years and years after its EOL.

I'm partially describing both AxeFx and Helix here, but it's because they are what I consider as mature modelers.

What is in your opinion a mature modeler?
The only thing I would add is "has an accurate JCM800" ;)

I think your list is solid and for me, my Helix Floor is very close to checking all those boxes. There's really nothing significant I feel I'm missing from it. I'd like to pick up an FM9 because it's finally a Fractal with a form factor I'm interested in, but it's not because I think it's going to give me anything big over the Helix. Just want to try other things for familiarity and variety.

Now that's a thread they didn't dare to delete when they deleted "Mac".

When the internet traffic (money) flows, any thread goes.
But when the traffic slows... it's hammer time.

We all can name multiple TGP threads that worked EXACTLY according to that formula.
Sometimes a locked thread remains trending for weeks, why don't they delete it?

Is it all about money?
Without a single doubt.

The only thing I would add is "has an accurate JCM800" ;)

This!

I know the complaint about the Helix JCM800 gets trotted out a lot and we're often told to give it a rest; but I can testify that the disappointing JCM800 is what finally pushed this household into ordering an FM3 after 5 years with the Helix. We just gave up with it. And of course the Fractal world is stuffed full of great Marshalls.

Maybe we'll come running back to the Helix one day, though. We'll be watching for that JCM800.

Last edited:
The other reason I'm enjoying the FAS stuff at the moment, is that I play through real cabs and it really helps to have access to more power amp settings and the Speaker Impedance Curve, which is not available in the Helix. I get that it's a different philosophy with the Helix (not too much overwhelming tweakery), but those parameters have become essential to me. I just couldn't get the sound that I wanted with the Helix and real cab.

Of course, if the cab that you're using happens to be a good match for the baked in speaker impedance curve that's in the Helix power amp models then you're good (mine didn't).

I'm hoping that one day, Line 6 will add a special mode (perhaps using a combination of footswitches during startup) that unlocks some advanced power amp settings like the SIC, so that for most users there is a streamlined UI that's easy to understand and use, and for those that want it, a few more parameters are available.

Last edited:
I should add that I love Mr. Eric Klein, and I hope that my comments here don't make him feel sad. Still rooting for his lovely team at L6. I'll definitely swing back to check out their new goodies in the future; another purchase will be made some day. Hell, I might as well just post him the cheque now 😃

So shaping my previous thoughts into an answer that actually addresses @James Freeman's original question:

Yes, I am of course biased towards my own needs, but for me a "mature modeller" requires access to more power amp model parameters and tone shaping with a focus on the speaker interaction. IMO the Helix is pretty mature, but it needs that. I didn't know that's what I was missing until I started using the FAS stuff.

Last edited:
The Fractal stuff ticks all of those boxes for me. I never use the advanced parameters, so it's easy to load an amp, twist some knobs, and get a great tone without fighting the unit. The effects are great, the amp list is diverse, they're always making improvements/releasing new firmware to keep things exciting, and their stuff is bulletproof on the road.

If you're used to the sound and feel of real amps, but need a great digital option, the Fractal stuff is hard to beat IMHO.

The Fractal stuff ticks all of those boxes for me. I never use the advanced parameters, so it's easy to load an amp, twist some knobs, and get a great tone without fighting the unit. The effects are great, the amp list is diverse, they're always making improvements/releasing new firmware to keep things exciting, and their stuff is bulletproof on the road.

If you're used to the sound and feel of real amps, but need a great digital option, the Fractal stuff is hard to beat IMHO.

Welcome!
And to think my first post here was about the size of @Orvillain nuts :confused:

Back