Thinking about getting a PODHD400

spawnofthesith

Rock Star
:bag

Juggling a variety of different practice scenarios. At one location we're doing silent rooms aside from drums. So far on two trial runs I have been using the emulated out on my JVM into the mixer. Cleans sound fine, but I'm not thrilled at all with how the distorted stuff sounds. It's usable but its not good (ironically, my drummer said "sounds kind of line 6y lol"

In considering a cheap solution looks like I can grab an HD400 for about $150. I'd go even cheaper if I could, there's HD beans and hd300s for even cheaper, but I need the FX loop because I still need to be able to use my pedalboard.

I had an HD500 many years ago and thought it was a fine unit for shits and giggles.

What do you guys think? And before someone says to get an HX stomp... I'm not interested in spending that kind of money, and if I was, I'd just get a captor X and use my real amps. I will consider any other sub -$200 suggestions tho :rofl

Shiii looks like I could even get a pod X3 live locally for $80.......

Feel free to mock me

What kinds of amp tones and features do you need? If you just need a switchable clean and dirty; used Atomic Firebox with whatever pedals you want.

What kinds of amp tones and features do you need? If you just need a switchable clean and dirty; used Atomic Firebox with whatever pedals you want.

My needs are quite basic. Pretty much a good clean, and a good high gain brootz sound. Firebox looks interesting, but unfortunately I also need it to have an FX loop

My needs are quite basic. Pretty much a good clean, and a good high gain brootz sound. Firebox looks interesting, but unfortunately I also need it to have an FX loop
What if you put the Firebox in the middle of your pedals and tap your direct feed out of the post fx pedals? Used Amplifire 3 has a loop and amp tones are legit. Closer to 3 bills used but miles better than the older L6 stuff, imo. Unless you want a proper Mk IV model :bag

(I think) this is your first post in this sub. I'm proud of you son!
7phqgb.jpg

What if you put the Firebox in the middle of your pedals and tap your direct feed out of the post fx pedals? Used Amplifire 3 has a loop and amp tones are legit. Closer to 3 bills used but miles better than the older L6 stuff, imo. Unless you want a proper Mk IV model :bag

Oh duh I guess thats a fuckin no brainer :facepalm my brain is clearly not working today.

$300 puts me in used Captor X territory so that would be a no go. I'm intrigued by the firebox but that appears to be cheapest used around $190 then add in shipping and tax on reverb...

I know I've been running around like Spawnofthesit, DDS with all the PRS recently but I'm attempting to be immensely cheap here :rofl

Watch me go buy the HD bean tomorrow since you made me realize it xan just go in the middle of my pedals :bag:bag:bag

There are great Tech 21 and Joyo Tech 21 clones that could work in the middle of your board. The Joyos especially should hit well under 2 bills.

Wait, but those (looking at the Joyos specifically) are "single channel" so to speak so my clean sound would just be raw guitar into the mixer? I've never tried that before but I'm not feeling that vibe necessarily lol

Those have a speaker sim yeah? And can go direct to board without DI?
Without getting in deep; yes. No XLR out and no loop on the single amp in a box models but you could use them like the firebox idea above and just pop it in the spot where your amp would go in your pedalboard then take the output to your mixer.

Wait, but those (looking at the Joyos specifically) are "single channel" so to speak so my clean sound would just be raw guitar into the mixer? I've never tried that before but I'm not feeling that vibe necessarily lol
Well you'd have to do some volume rolloff and live with it. Amp modeling to you is living with it (if even that lol). If you had a loop switcher; you could get a clean single amp pedal and a dirty pedal and switch between the two? I have many suggestions but none of which you will really like or be in your budget :rofl

I mean, for $150, you realistically won't do much better elsewhere. The effects alone are worth it, IMHO, even if you never use the amp+cab sim part.

IIRC a weak point of the HD400 family were the stomp switches, so you might want to double check those.

I mean, for $150, you realistically won't do much better elsewhere. The effects alone are worth it, IMHO, even if you never use the amp+cab sim part.

IIRC a weak point of the HD400 family were the stomp switches, so you might want to double check those.

The HD bean is all the same sounds right? Cuz I found one of those on craigslist locally for $100 and it comes with a 4 button/expression foot controller as well. And it's been sitting for a couple weeks so I might be able to negotiate the price even

Back