Thinking about getting a PODHD400

:bag

Juggling a variety of different practice scenarios. At one location we're doing silent rooms aside from drums. So far on two trial runs I have been using the emulated out on my JVM into the mixer. Cleans sound fine, but I'm not thrilled at all with how the distorted stuff sounds. It's usable but its not good (ironically, my drummer said "sounds kind of line 6y lol"

In considering a cheap solution looks like I can grab an HD400 for about $150. I'd go even cheaper if I could, there's HD beans and hd300s for even cheaper, but I need the FX loop because I still need to be able to use my pedalboard.

I had an HD500 many years ago and thought it was a fine unit for s***s and giggles.

What do you guys think? And before someone says to get an HX stomp... I'm not interested in spending that kind of money, and if I was, I'd just get a captor X and use my real amps. I will consider any other sub -$200 suggestions tho :rofl

Shiii looks like I could even get a pod X3 live locally for $80.......

Feel free to mock me
If they take $80 for the Bean and fbv grab it. That leaves you $60 for a cheap IR pedal if you feel you need it (pretty sure some shitty company makes a shitty one at that price)

Yeah, here ya go. One user slot should be enough for your needs. Manual says it's running 1024 sample point files which is plenty.

My needs are quite basic. Pretty much a good clean, and a good high gain brootz sound. Firebox looks interesting, but unfortunately I also need it to have an FX loop
Why not an AMT 2 series pedal? They sound fantastic, they have a clean channel instead of a bypass, and they have multiple outputs for recording or going into an amp.

You are a modeler salesman, because that video sells the hell out of that modeler!
Thnx (I guess :))

Main take away from this unit was that modern units, even the dirt cheap ones, deliver half decent sounds…probably better then earlier generations. I assume utility wise an HD500 is more mature, but if you dont need those, there’s a lot to say for a modern toy ;)
Today…nux/boss gt1/zoom…supercheap…and you can become a rockgod with them ;)

Reactions: V|J
Nah, don't bother with the POD HD400. If you're trying to save money and want to stick with Line 6, I'd recommend finding a used POD Go. If it's not already the best sounding multieffects under $500, it most certainly will be later this year.

Last edited:
Nah, don't bother with the POD HD400. If you're trying to save money and want to stick with Line 6, I'd recommend finding a used POD Go. If it's not the best sounding multieffects under $500, it most certainly will be later this year.

Yeah but what about an HD Bean with FBV for $80 :bag

POD go is still out of budget

Basically I'm looking for a mildly passable solution to what will hopefully be a very temporary problem

EQ pedal to fix the amp's emulated line out?

Not a pedal but during round 2 I did do some EQing on the mixer. It was an improvement, but the graininess/clipping on distorted sounds seemed impossible to eliminate

What about the NUX Amp Academy, built in IR support, way better models, especially Marshalls. FX loop.

Find them used for ~$150, $200 new
I had a MG30, it was a great little modeling pedal

For the record I just wanna say

breaking bad bullshit GIF

:LOL:

I had to play some shows with an HD500 about 3 years ago. It was passable but not enjoyable. I’m glad I don’t have to do it anymore.

If I was on that tight a budget I’d probably look at old used Vox ToneLabs.

Another thought: I know you’re on a budget, but wouldn’t it make sense to consider just another $100 for a CaptorX you could use to get your actual amp tones? Since you already have the amp you know and like

Back