What do you find different?

Or maybe it's just easier for them to laugh than to try to have a serious conversation about absurdity pulled out of thin air sprinkled with patronising attitude.
So they just go, sure dad, sure, watch out not to compress the feel :LOL:
Ok then educate me… what’s absurd about feel when it comes to playing an electric guitar through an amplification system?

Last edited:
I would guess this has more to do with someone’s need to validate their choice of gear, and feeling attacked by a different attitude, than anything else.
If you think me, I currently own one tube amp with 2×12, one modeler and one solid state amp.
So no dogs in fights here either.

To answer the thread question:
The most easily spotted difference between my current tube amp and modeler is that the amp has wider dynamic range. It's a modern amp that can go from pristine cleans to ridiculous amount of gain, and when I set it to the sweet spot I can go from, what I consider, high gain to almost clean just by riding the volume knob and changing pick attack force.
This is much harder to achieve on Helix, I can almost get there, but not quite. But guess what, that's why presets are there.
Is this fEeL? No. It's dynamic range.

The second difference is that initial transient sounds different on amp, in this case better. You know, that moment when the pick hits the string, it sounds fuller, like there's more tone across the board in that short amount of time.
Is this fEeL? No. It's something that can probably be measured with an EQ curve and something that people who understand electronics probably know exactly what's going on inside the amp and transformer. I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know how to define it, but I sure as hell know it's not feel.

The third difference is that it's easier for me to play through my current tube amp than though Helix. And by easier I mean it seems that the amp it's better at masking my sloppy playing :LOL:
Not sure why. Maybe it's the room reverb, maybe it's the fact that I play Helix exclusively through headphones so every little mistake is teleported directly into my brain. (If someone mentions latency, I'll find out where you live.)
Is this fEeL? No. It's me having to improve my timing and precision.

"Feel" is nothing. "Feel" is on the exact same shelf right next to fairy dust.

Slider PTSD.
100% real possibility :LOL:

what’s absurd about feel when it comes to playing an electric guitar?
Without defining it, everything. It's so ridiculously wide term that it can mean absolutely everything and anything. Not just when it comes to playing guitar, but for every activity ever. Doesn't matter if it's playing guitar, scuba diving, painting, driving a bicycle...
- Hey, this brush doesn't feel right.
- Why?
- It's too wide and the bristles are disheveled.
- There you go.

- Hey, this bike pedal doesn't feel right.
- Why?
- It's too tight and it hurts my foot.
- There you go.

- Hey, this guitar modeler doesn't feel right.
- Why?
- What do you mean, why?! It's the fEeL man! You either feel it you don't! Jeez... This guy doesn't feel the feel.
- :confused:

Without defining it, everything. It's so ridiculously wide term that it can mean absolutely everything and anything. Not just when it comes to playing guitar, but for every activity ever. Doesn't matter if it's playing guitar, scuba diving, painting, driving a bicycle...
- Hey, this brush doesn't feel right.
- Why?
- It's too wide and the bristles are disheveled.
- There you go.

- Hey, this bike pedal doesn't feel right.
- Why?
- It's too tight and it hurts my foot.
- There you go.

- Hey, this guitar modeler doesn't feel right.
- Why?
- What do you mean, why?! It's the fEeL man! You either feel it you don't! Jeez... This guy doesn't feel the feel.
- :confused:
So just because YOU can’t define it or like other people’s way of defining it then it’s not real? LOL ok…. that’s one the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

So just because YOU can’t define it or like other people’s way of defining it then it’s not real? LOL ok…. that’s one the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.
I don't think it's stupid as far as "needing" a more "definitive" explanation. But I also know that whatever term I am throwing around as I sit here with modelers and soon to be amps up the wazoo; I think I can make an observation without needing to justify it to anyone. These discussions can certainly be "interesting" :oops: :rofl

Edited for I also think know you are both on "opposing" sides of this discussion. So there's that :unsure: :whistle

I don't think it's stupid as far as "needing" a more "definitive" explanation. But I also know that whatever term I am throwing around as I sit here with modelers and soon to be amps up the wazoo; I think I can make an observation without needing to justify it to anyone. These discussions can certainly be "interesting" :oops: :rofl
He didn’t even define it himself in order say it’s not a thing… sorry yes that’s stupid.

You missed my edit :grin:bag
Just caught and yes we are both on opposite sides of the fence. He obviously doesn’t have the experience as a guitar player to know there’s a difference in feel. Again it’s stupid to say just because you don’t have experience in something therefore it doesn’t exist.

Ability to recognize something ≠ Ability to articulate your recognition of something

Kung Fu 80S GIF

Ability to recognize something ≠ Ability to articulate your recognition of something

Kung Fu 80S GIF
Exactly and according to this genius since people can’t articulate it to his standard therefore it doesn’t exist. Look in the real world I could give to shits less what this guy thinks about feel because it’s brutally clear he hasn’t a clue of what he’s talking about and then double’s down logical fallacies as fact then we’ve reached terminal velocity of absurdity.

Last edited:
I like how you ignored the rest of my post where I defined three very definite differences.
I also defined the feel, it's fairy dust.
Or did I miss your post with the definition of feel?

I like how you ignored the rest of my post where I defined three very definite differences.
I also defined the feel, it's fairy dust.
Or did I miss your post with the definition of feel?
You didn’t define it. You defined it in other activities that aren’t even remotely related to playing electric guitar through a sound system. Try again.

Jeez, and I'm the stupid one :confused: Read again.
You are obviously ignorant to what feel is in regards playing amplified electric guitar. It’s ok… it really is but what’s not ok is to say just because you are ignorant of something that it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
You are obviously ignorant to what feel is in regards playing amplified electric guitar. It’s ok… it really is but what’s not ok is to say just because you are ignorant of something that it doesn’t exist
You are obviously ignorant to what feel is since you can't even come up with a single sentence about it without someone's help. And if you believe that feel is real and magical and can't be defined you obviously don't have the experience as a guitar player.

See how easy it is to make stupid assumption about someone based on two forum posts.

Feel: Immediacy and overall response to varying levels of picking dynamics. Also informed by perceived (or not perceived) latency of the system as a whole.
So pretty much what I wrote under first and second point.

Back