What Do You Do For A Living?

I’m a machinist by trade, but my title at work is CNC Programmer. I haven’t done any manual machining in quite a few years. I usually sit at a desk and use CAM software to write programs to run in our 3 Makino machining centers. I also do a little design in Solidworks when I get time. Not much time lately cause one of my operators is on medical leave, so I’ve been on the floor a lot. It is a forge plant, so the conditions on the floor suck.

Assistant Project Manager, building overly large, ridiculously expensive houses in Big Sky Montana.

So all the locals secretly/not so secretly hate you???? :idk

I live in a retirement/tourist area where people have their several thousand square feet 2nd or 3rd residences.
It's a thing for sure. COVID made everyone with some $$$ want to flee to the wilds and ruin it.

I’m in Lubbock, TX. Ralphsrecordstx.com is my store. I don’t do online sales outside of tickets. I’m still of the school of walk in and buy stuff!

Highg-f'ing five!!!
:headbang

:banana

Really cool. My daughter goes to Texas Tech. Next time we come to visit for a game, I’ll have to visit your store.
Oh wow! that’s awesome! Yes, please come by the store! I’m always there Tuesday- saturday, but if you’re coming through on a Sun or Monday message me here and I’ll run up so I can meet you.

Currently I'm a sound engineer mostly mixing tv shows I would never watch myself.
I started working in recording studios, recording and mixing music but I've followed the money and ended up working in audio post.
Since I've relocated in a bigger house I work at home and that's super cool because gives me flexibility and additional time to share between my family (a wife and 3 kids), music and some sport (running, mtb, hiking and skying)

I've moved to sound eng. after almost 10 years of being a statistician in multinational marketing research firms.

Last edited:
Oh wow! that’s awesome! Yes, please come by the store! I’m always there Tuesday- saturday, but if you’re coming through on a Sun or Monday message me here and I’ll run up so I can meet you.
That sounds like a plan! Thank you!

I’m an engineer on the space side of aerospace. There are a lot of delays and schedule slips in this world (I worked for years on one of the smallsats that’s onboard the new NASA rocket that had its launch scrubbed twice last week). Also there’s a lot of waiting for software to do its thing (e.g., hang and crash) based on my inputs ;)

Awsome! I love space and I'm big fan of space exploration and, needless to say, sci-fi books and movies.

Currently I'm a sound engineer mostly mixing tv shows I would never watch myself.
I started working in recording studios, recording and mixing music but I've followed the money and ended up working in audio post.
Since I've relocated in a bigger house I work at home and that's super cool because gives me flexibility and additional time to share between my family (a wife and 3 kids), music and some sport (running, mtb, hiking and skying)

I've moved to sound eng. after almost 10 years of being a statistician in multinational marketing research firms.

This is pretty much my dream job at this point, more so than being a touring professional musician/rockstar.

This is pretty much my dream job at this point, more so than being a touring professional musician/rockstar.

I love my job. :love
When I was 15 or 16 yo I started recording myself with the few things I had at disposal back then (late 80s) and I discovered I really had a passion for the process. I did't know was a real job, LOL.

Year after year I've become better, bought some stuff, started doing demos for friends and friends of friends but always kept it as a hobby.

At some point in my life, tired of my job I've said my self. Fuck it! I want to be a sound engineer.

Best decision of my life second only to becoming father.

I worked in aerospace for 20 years...mostly military stuff. Alot of that time was prototype machine subcontract work for Boeing phantom works. Lots of different DARPA projects.

Also machined alot of parts for F-18, F-15, C-17, F-22, F-35, Slam-er cruise missile, j-ucas, and apache longbow. Spent 8 years building Horizontal Stabilators (wings in the back) for F-18 hornets and super hornets.

Now Im a stay at home dad. My wife is an accountant....I love my wife 😋

Last edited:
I owned a computer / IT company for 30 years. We started outfitting emergency vehicles about 15 years ago and that side of the business went nuclear. So now I don't have to do the computer stuff anymore. I just run the mounting systems and outfitting business. I also sell about 3,000 different products online on my own website, eBay, Walmart, Amazon, Bonanza, Google, FB, etc... (all the stores sync together). We do about 30,000 orders a year right now. It's baby and a monster all at the same time. Vacation? What's that?

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 7.16.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Since covid been working from home for a software company, before that there was a lot of international travel doing the same job. Got to visit New York, Chicago, Nashville, Phoenix, Pasadena, Cape Town, Minnesota and many more.

Previously worked in aerospace manufacturing and then for a big IT consulting company.

I worked in aerospace for 20 years...mostly military stuff. Alot of that time was prototype machine subcontract work for Boeing phantom works. Lots of different DARPA projects.

Also machined alot of parts for F-18, F-15, C-17, F-22, F-35, Slam-er cruise missile, j-ucas, and apache longbow. Spent 8 years building Horizontal Stabilators (wings in the back) for F-18 hornets and super hornets.

Now Im a stay at home dad. My wife is an accountant....I love my wife 😋

Really cool. My dad was an aerospace engineer and worked for Boeing and LTV/Vought his entire career. He helped design the nose cone and leading edge of wings of the space shuttle, as well as parts of the Stealth Bomber among other missiles and stuff.

I remember growing up most of it was military application and top secret and he couldn’t tell us what he was working on at the time.

Back