What do you do if you can't afford a full blown IEM setup?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
For practice, we've cobbled together a wired setup using the Legato in-ears, cheap pocket-sized headphone amps and too many cables/adapters.

Since that's not viable for the stage, we asked some other local bands what they do and got back a lot of "Spend $10,000 and have a bad sound engineer screw you anyways" sorts of answers.

We landed on maybe trying to just do what we've been doing but go wireless to remove the pile of cables/adapters.

Anyone have any recommendations for good wireless transmitters/receivers we can use? Could we theoretically just use normal instrument wireless system to send the music to our little headphone amps?

Help me brainstorm! Please. :)

a0a4329a130663cdb6a98496fe63a3ec.gif

:LOL:

fuck i love doom death. post your links homie!

yall dont need IEMs at all. that genre is supposed to be stupid loud, not one single person is going to tell you turn down to the point where you would need them and i would bet the stages arent going to be big enough to need them either. a good set of ear plugs is a much better bet.

The first box he shows in this video, the one with the 4 body packs, we had in my old band, but Xtuga branded. It worked well and sounded good.

I'm no IEM hater. As a vocalist they were a literal game changer for me. I feel dirty I used that phrase but it really was a different world after.

I bought a DOOM video game shirt to wear on stage. 🤣

When that first came out in the early 90s I was working in an engineering department with about a half dozen other folks and we all had it on our PCs and would play during lunch.
Funny how down right primitive it looks today - at the time it was AMAZING! :LOL:

doom-800x451.jpg

Last edited:
The first box he shows in this video, the one with the 4 body packs, we had in my old band, but Xtuga branded. It worked well and sounded good
That setup seems like a perfect entry level IEM setup. I also found the suggested wired setup for a drummer very interesting.

Good information in that video for those looking to save some $$$.

The first box he shows in this video, the one with the 4 body packs, we had in my old band, but Xtuga branded. It worked well and sounded good.

I'm no IEM hater. As a vocalist they were a literal game changer for me. I feel dirty I used that phrase but it really was a different world after.
It took me a long time to be ok with them. I came up in the 80s/90s “stage is a wash of 120db noise” where I would back up against the drum riser to feel the beat to know where I was in a song.

But, that was also in bands where we either practiced or gigged for 10-20 hours/week. Nowadays, we’re lucky to practice for 3 hours a week. So, having the IEMs has definitely fast tracked our cohesion as a band and helps keep us on track when the unavoidable goofs and brain farts happen.

I honestly think we should be ok without them, but wanna hedge my bets. 🤣

When that first came out in the early 90s I was working in an engineering department with about a half dozen other folks and we all had it on our PCs and would all play during lunch.
Funny how down right primitive it looks today - at the time it was AMAZING! :LOL:

doom-800x451.jpg
I've been hearing the synthesized metal guitar soundtrack in my head since I saw @la szum's earlier meme post.
:headbang

Back