What Do You Do For A Living?

I’m an engineer on the space side of aerospace. There are a lot of delays and schedule slips in this world (I worked for years on one of the smallsats that’s onboard the new NASA rocket that had its launch scrubbed twice last week). Also there’s a lot of waiting for software to do its thing (e.g., hang and crash) based on my inputs ;)
One of our past kiddos' dad does the same thing here in Berkeley. Sattelites, launch delays, software anomalies, sounds very similar!

Since we're actually talking about occupations now.. For the past 9 years I've been working at the home daycare/preschool that my (now retired) mother-in-law opened in the 80s. The current owner has been employed there since high school and is a close family friend who lives there with her family. Her son occupies the room my wife used to have and goes to school with my son. My youngest daughter goes to work with me (good and bad) and most of the kids who leave to grade school go up the hill to where my wife teaches so I still get to see them after they fly the nest. It has been the most stressful yet rewarding job of my life.

Everything from taking care of 6mo old babies to teaching 5 y/o's how to read and write.. lots of feeding and cleaning, teaching them to not shit on the toilet seat and how to not get macaroni and cheese in their eye. I could write a book about diapers and the consistency of poop relative to the child's personality and demeanor.
I’m a Chief Engineer of a large commercial campus.
Can we call you Scotty?
Plumbers have some of the best job
security any job can offer.... because people will not stop shitting any time
Yep. Same with food service, day care, and hospital staff. People need to eat, fornicate, and do dumb shit.

Been doing it since school, so 20 years now in the same company. Have to say that the disgusting things have been very seldom during these years. Of course.. if I install a new toilet I get a sniff and sometimes look down that hole, haha. But when it comes to clogged things, that doesn’t go away with the “rubber thingy on a stick”, we advice the customers to the guys doing that for a living because they do it better than us :D

Lucky bastard!! :beer

About 3 months in I was getting trained to run the motorized drain auger
from the clean out in the basement out to the road. I had no idea I was being
setup. About 30 feet out we cleared the clog and I was retracting the auger
back in. The guy I was working with every day and apprenticing under said,
"You really need to Rev that up once you get to the last few feet, or it'll get
jammed coming back out of the drain pipe." Ok. Got it. That f'ing claw came
out whirling shit and piss (literally!) all over me as he stood back and laughed
his ass off out of range.

Welcome to the business son!! :poop:

Seriously??! Wow.
yeah...i was head of the subprime mortgage trading desk at guggenheim from 2006-2011 when the world blew up.

that's when my guitar collection blew up to 82 guitars, 30+ amps, 100+ pedals. my doorman was calling me daily telling me that i got another two or three guitars that day and could i please stop in and get them because the storage room was getting full of packages. :)

Seriously??! Wow.
and yes, my burger truck is here:

i typed in "best burger truck" in "los angeles" and we come up #1. we are called "the fix on wheels."

i typed in "best burger truck" in "los angeles" and we come up #1. we are called "the fix on wheels."

OMG. That looks so goooood.

That's fucking cool as shit. Smashburgers???

Add me to that crowd... sometimes its the only period during the work day I can read/post... I dont like using the phone in the lunch room with my colleagues. :p

An ex used to do that and I never quite got it. Then one day she starts screaming that it fell in the pooper!!! :(

As a Pro I guess you would know how best to retrieve it if that ever happened to you. :unsure:

An ex used to do that and I never quite got it. Then one day she starts screaming that it fell in the pooper!!! :(
She was not up to the task obviously. Such a person should be controlled, no toilet surfing allowed for her. Very unprofessional.
As a Pro I guess you would know how best to retrieve it if that ever happened to you. :unsure:
As a pro, I don’t have to worry because it doesn’t happen.

Yeah, andergtr ain't lyin', dude used to have the coolest balcony shots of anyone on the internet when he lived in NYC. I joined HRI right around 2006 and it was every other week a new Tyler or Suhr was rolling in. F'n nuts. You still have the Bradshaw rig, @andergtr?
my friend took all the line 6 units to malaysia with him so i am actually putting together a true new old school rig. the old rack had cheaper units but this one is the real deal.

the 3+ is gone but i will probably use an old boogie mark II modded to II-C+ specs slaved down for the true landau tones.

Attachments

• 4BC02905-60F7-454C-889B-80A9E6FAC38C.jpeg
    4BC02905-60F7-454C-889B-80A9E6FAC38C.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 17
Back