What Do You Do For A Living?

Seriously. All of you retired? Independently wealthy? Mister Moms? IT guys who work from home?

Yeah, I saw you checking your phone when you went to run errands today, too. I tried to wave and
say, "Hi" but you looked a little preoccupied. :)

If this is too close to home and elicits any defensiveness I am totally not sorry about that. ;) Just
curious about what the F is fappening here.

Signed,
Guilty
I play in a Guns & Roses tribute act, and want to kill myself.

I’m an engineer on the space side of aerospace. There are a lot of delays and schedule slips in this world (I worked for years on one of the smallsats that’s onboard the new NASA rocket that had its launch scrubbed twice last week). Also there’s a lot of waiting for software to do its thing (e.g., hang and crash) based on my inputs ;)

Bad thread title is bad. Should have just asked, "What do you do for a living?" :)
Oh… ok :bag I miss interpreted the whole thing, haha.

I’m a freaking plumber (I’d like to call it heating and water system technician), 07:00 to 16:00 daytime, not enough time after that for anything but family, and should be sleeping now but how else am I gonna be here. I need one forum. I need you guys. I’m quitting tgp damn it… can’t do both.

I’m a Chief Engineer of a large commercial campus.

Took a bullsh*t HVAC course 5 years ago and then accepted the first job offered to me out of school, an entry level maintenance position and I really found a great place at the right time. They had gone though 5 Chief Engineers and after I was there for a year and a half, the owner and CFO took a liking to me and I was already doing my boss’s job, so when he turned out to be a legit, actual racist POS, they fired him and offered me the position. Despite not knowing WTF I’m doing, I’m now their longest running Chief Engineer. :rofl

I maintain the whole property, everything from the sewers under it to the aircraft warning lights on the roofs of 6 large commercial buildings on 500,000sq ft of land. I had imposter syndrome for the first 2 years or so and it wasn’t until the last few months that I was able to really start running my department how it needed to be ran. (Some people here have let me rant about it in the past, thank you!) These days I‘ve been enjoying it quite a bit. I would absolutely retire with this company if I were to stay here until I take the dirt nap.

Oh… ok :bag I miss interpreted the whole thing, haha.

I’m a freaking plumber (I’d like to call it heating and water system technician), 07:00 to 16:00 daytime, not enough time after that for anything but family, and should be sleeping now but how else am I gonna be here. I need one forum. I need you guys. I’m quitting tgp damn it… can’t do both.

Haha! Go to bed!! :horse

I apprenticed as a Plumber (and HVAC) for a year, until I had a few too many deep dives

into crawlspaces only to find myself laying on my back in a pool of shit. I feel your pain.

My Buddy is a retired Journeyman Pipefitter and says Plumbers have some of the best job
security any job can offer.... because people will not stop shitting any time soon. :idk

Last edited:

I apprenticed as a Plumber (and HVAC) for a year, until I had a few too many deep dives

into crawlspaces only find myself laying on my back in a pool of s**t. I feel your pain.

My Buddy is a retired Journeyman Pipefitter and says Plumbers have some of the best job
security any job can offer.... because people will not stop shitting any time soon. :idk
And when the shitter backs up into their home, they’ll pay almost any price to get it fixed ASAP! 😂 Plumbers are heros in my book.

Seriously. All of you retired? Independently wealthy? Mister Moms? IT guys who work from home?

Yeah, I saw you checking your phone when you went to run errands today, too. I tried to wave and
say, "Hi" but you looked a little preoccupied. :)

If this is too close to home and elicits any defensiveness I am totally not sorry about that. ;) Just
curious about what the F is fappening here.

Signed,
Guilty

And yes I guess I am an IT guy in a sense. I am a Data Analyst in the Medical Industry.

I bounce between self-employed carpentry contractor and working directly for companies as an on-site superintendent for large, high-end projects. New homes, major renovations & additions, that sort of thing. All residential. It's allowed me to take some time off this year to deal with some health issues, so I've had more free time lately, which I've used to better myself as a guitarist, and meet some of you guys.

But, I just now got a call from a customer that his tenant has no hot water, and it's due to a failed GFI outlet I recently replaced. I'm so glad they're cool with waiting until tomorrow when the stores are open, and I can buy a new one, so I didn't have to make a 40-minute drive (one way) to go deal with it, only to have to go back again in the morning to install a new one!

Last edited:
I had imposter syndrome for the first 2 years or so and it wasn’t until the last few months that I was able to really start running my department how it needed to be ran.

OMG. Imposter Syndrome... I hear ya!

I've been a professional software developer well over 2 decades and I still have imposter syndrome, even though organisations seem to appreciate having me around and I've never been fired for being bad at my job.

I do work with some _very_ smart people though, so that doesn't help haha. I love them, btw.

Last edited:
I was a one man IT dept for a Japanese own hedge fund for about 21 years til the parent company decided to shut down the office here... it was a good run, picked up some amazing gear during that time.

Recently I just made one year at a new place doing IT in the health care related industry... Its different, less stress, having coworkers means I can take time off and not lug a laptop with me 24/7, but less pay and less responsibility. Debating if I want to level up and assume more responsibility/ stress or just be like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty and flip burgers for a while. :whistle:

I was a one man IT dept for a Japanese own hedge fund for about 21 years til the parent company decided to shut down the office here... it was a good run, picked up some amazing gear during that time.

Recently I just made one year at a new place doing IT in the health care related industry... Its different, less stress, having coworkers means I can take time off and not lug a laptop with me 24/7, but less pay and less responsibility. Debating if I want to level up and assume more responsibility/ stress or just be like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty and flip burgers for a while. :whistle:

I vote for less responsiblity and less stress; have a pleasant life and good times!

I vote for less responsiblity and less stress; have a pleasant life and good times!
Yeah man I'm leaning that way to be honest. I miss my old salary, but at the same time I missed so much family life during those 21 years... Christmas/Thanksgiving, Easters etc. I worked US holidays and was only off Japanese holidays. When I was younger playing in bands it was awesome, working from noon to 8:30pm Sun to Thurs (which was Mon - Fri 7am to 3:30 Japan) but as I got older, got married and had kids I didn't see them much and my wife & kids pretty much did everything without me.

I own a company that does cognitive memory assessments for insurance companies, but that’s major boring shit so I employ 3 of my wife’s cousins and one of them runs it for me.

I’m on salary as an OTR truck driver hauling tankers on a dedicated run.

Out a week, home for a week. I work about 5 hours a day and work two weeks a month.

Gets me out of the house; I go stir crazy if I sit there too long.

On the road, I get my hours in early and then read/play guitar the rest of the day.

Got weights in here, get a workout in every morning.

Keep a Caparison or ESP in here along with an Orange Dual Dark and a Mesa Thiele cab, along with a small pedalboard. Boost, delay, fuzz.

It’s a pretty good life, I dig it. Make a good living at it and my wife/daughter are always glad to see me when I get home.

into crawlspaces only to find myself laying on my back in a pool of s**t. I feel your pain.

And when the shitter backs up into their home, they’ll pay almost any price to get it fixed ASAP! 😂 Plumbers are heros in my book.
Been doing it since school, so 20 years now in the same company. Have to say that the disgusting things have been very seldom during these years. Of course.. if I install a new toilet I get a sniff and sometimes look down that hole, haha. But when it comes to clogged things, that doesn’t go away with the “rubber thingy on a stick”, we advice the customers to the guys doing that for a living because they do it better than us :D

Back