What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

@Whizzinby ; you know what to do.

Ben Affleck Rain GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Last night just before bed I spent 20 minutes noodling with this, which I haven't picked up in a few weeks.

It's my favourite, number one. Had it since 2008 and it's done hundreds of gigs, endless hours of practicing, recording, songwriting. I got rid of the 496/500t pickups almost immediately because they were too hot for my ac30, and it had SD alnico II pros for the next decade. Did some experimentation with Burstbuckers, Firebird style pickups, and then a few months of LOADS AND LOADS of swapping things in and out just for the fun of it.

The thing with the Explorer shape is that it's actually incredible comfortable to play standing or sitting, it balances beautifully and this one is about 7 1/2 lbs, so it has this great airy open midrange resonance but somehow doesn't suffer the light guitar issue of getting plinky if you hit it hard.

A few months ago I got a pair of mid '70s T-tops and fuuuuuck those are it. They're clear & articular clean, they have the usual Gibson dirty attitude distorted, the middle position is beautiful, almost like a Tele in its clarity. Last night I was mostly on the bridge pickup playing Tinariwen style desert grooves while the cool night air drifted through the open window.

118525537_10158899223323420_3328020895143819799_n.jpg

I just got the cheapest guitar I’ve ever purchased in yesterday. I’ve always liked the specs on these budget friendly guitars and took a chance on one at a ridiculous sale price. It has a few minor cosmetic blems but nothing that would effect the playability. I was playing it while on hold to get a RMA and thought if they discount it a bit more, I’d be fine with it, if not I’d send it back and try another. Anyway, they offered another $25 bucks off. So here it is, easily worth the $125 total cost…

IMG_0219.jpeg

I had a fantastic practice session tonight, for about 6 hours in all, (with breaks of course), and I was so stoked..., because I'm finally getting a few of the riffs/songs/licks I practice, up to tempo, but more importantly, comfortable.

Like, one song that's in my rotation of "favorites" that I really enjoy playing is Just Let Me Breathe (Dream Theater, duh), mainly using it to get my syncopated picking tight. I dialed the metronome up to 130, went for it, and I was finally getting those riffs to the point where I was grooving right along, as opposed to hanging on for dear life, and falling behind the beat.

Man, I so want to get with a good drummer and bassist and play this stuff now! Whereas before, I really didn't care about playing with anyone else. (Funny how that works.)

I guess I need to start looking around, cuz if I can find some people who have similar tastes, it would so much fun just to jam a bit. I don't even care about playing out. At least not right now. But who knows...?

Oh and I went back once again through some factory presets, after, of all things, being inspired to try some "twangy" tones, due to watching the PRS NF53 demo, and I landed on one of the 'Wrecker' presets, and ended up tweaking the scene that uses the 'Wrecker Liverpool Bright' amp model.

I basically went to the Liverpool Lead, Scene 5, and turned on the Input Boost, TS808 Mod type, and I LOVED it. It has enough gain for 5th fret harmonics to ring out clearly, even when using the Virtual Capo, down 5 steps, so I could simulate a 7-string for the JLMB song.

It has just enough of a twang to it, that makes me want to dig into the strings a bit. It kinda reminds me of the way JP's tone was when he played Ibanez. Maybe that's why I like it for that song, since he was still playing Ibanez then.

But it's not a Mesa! :wat

I bought neck shims, an American Performer neck, a custom EMG set (Revelation/S2/Revelation) for a Stratocaster, and a purple pearloid HSH Stratocaster pickguard. Hopefully it'll all be here by the end of the month. The shims and neck should be here the 15th, the pickguard around the 25th-30th, and I'm not sure when the EMGs will be done (I ordered them the 7th). Plan to shim a few of my Strats, have two HSH Strats,
The EMG pickup set I ordered was not custom at all (I specified that I'd want the screw pole pieces to match the S2 in the middle position color wise and that I needed pickup cable lengths appropriate for a Strat). Those are in fact the only two specifications I had other than the type of pickups (Rev set, S2). I hope they make this right.

I finally finished my new album today. It just might be the best thing I've ever done musically. Super stoked to release it next month.

I counted I used no less than 18 different guitars, basses and an ukulele on this record. They all have a certain purpose :)

Ironically, the first one I recorded is also the last one that I used today. This strat is perfect for bright funky strumming. it cuts through with the EMG SX pickups installed.

Go Philles!!!

rs=w:1440,h:1440

toI finally finished my new album today. It just might be the best thing I've ever done musically. Super stoked to release it next month.

I counted I used no less than 18 different guitars, basses and an ukulele on this record. They all have a certain purpose :)

Ironically, the first one I recorded is also the last one that I used today. This strat is perfect for bright funky strumming. it cuts through with the EMG SX pickups installed.

Go Philles!!!

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Congratulations… That’s a ton of work!

Fast And Furious Fist Bump GIF by The Fast Saga

Tracked solos for this week's Do Something. Played a tube amp until the girls yelled at me. Jammed with the boy on bass while he played his E kit.

Damn fine day.

I was playing dad blues on my jvm with a Klon and a strat until my 5 year old decided to start throwing patch cables at me. Looks like he's not a fan... Or he just likes throwing things.

I'm pretty sure he just likes throwing things.

20230625_130855.jpg

20230625_130904.jpg

Cleaned up and restrung Gwen today, one of my wife's acoustic guitars. Preparing for our camping trip while simultaneously preparing for her starting up her guitar classes again. She just came up on a bunch of ukes so I'll have to restrung those too.

And she names them, not me. They're easier to keep track of with names.

Back